Thread: MK hub cap tool?

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61

MK hub cap tool?

Is there a special tool for this fixing bolt for the MK hub caps?
    I can't seem to find anything at all. Will I be making my own?
    Cheers

My Cars
    BMW 850, Alpina B10 Biturbo, Alpina B12 5.0
    I'd love to know this as well

The kids:
    Alpinas: 91 E34 B10 Biturbo; 91 E32 B12 5.0; 91 E34 B10 3.0 Allrad (mom's car); '91 B10 3.5
    Bimmers: 91 E31 850; 93 E34 525i w/ aftermarket turbo; '01 X5 4.4; 93 E31 850i Dinan TT; 89 E32 750il Dinan TT; 92 750il w/ S70 engine and transmission
    Mercedes: 92 600sel; 93 S600 Lorinser
    VW: 04 Jetta GLS TDI

My Cars
    BMW 850i, Yamaha V-Star 1100, 1952 Willys M-38
    yup its a T style handle with four prongs that fit into the indentations of the bolt head my car came with the mks and those locks for the hubcaps, and luckily the t wrench for them

My Cars
    iT & 850i
    this is the tool

Its available here, along with bolts, seems common enough that they should be available in other places
    http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...s/k151792.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    Nice one ta!
    $20+shipping+import tax...May have a go at making one first, now I have some data to work with.
    Thanks gix

My Cars
    840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by hognhominy View Post
    this is the tool

Its available here, along with bolts, seems common enough that they should be available in other places
    Initial appearance is nearly identical to oem MK T-Handle, however are the three silver prongs spaced identical
    to the oem T-Handle?
    Have you actually inserted the Firebird T-Handle in a MK center cap bolt?

My Cars
    iT & 850i
    The system was common enough that I have seen it several times all with the same spacing.

I have used the same tool on Borbet supplied bolts, Ronal supplied bolts, Rial supplied bolts, Prime supplied bolts. IIRC the OE Pontiac wheels were produced by Ronal.

This would lead me to believe that the bolts and tool were supplied by a 3rd party to the wheel manufacturers and were designed to be a passive deterrent and not an individually unique lock and key system.

Edit:
    The "R15" wheel is in fact a Ronal model R15

MK Motorsports was not the manufacturer of their MK branded wheels, they were produced by Ronal.

It would not be a huge leap to assume that bolts supplied with Ronal made Pontiac wheels will be the same as the bolts supplied with Ronal made MK Motorsports wheels
    Last edited by hognhominy; 05-30-2015 at 05:52 PM.

My Cars
    840ci
    The system was common enough that I have seen it several times all with the same spacing.

I have used the same tool on Borbet supplied bolts, Ronal supplied bolts, Rial supplied bolts, Prime supplied bolts. IIRC the OE Pontiac wheels were produced by Ronal.

This would lead me to believe that the bolts and tool were supplied by a 3rd party to the wheel manufacturers and were designed to be a passive deterrent and not an individually unique lock and key system.

Thank you. Your logic is very sound, however I still pose the question, "Has anyone ever actually inserted this T-Handle in a MK center cap bolt?".
    Last edited by ATA197; 05-30-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: One word short

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX

Thx for the info....I may be getting a set of MK's in the near future.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    iT & 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by ATA197 View Post
    Thank you. Your logic is very sound, however I still pose the question, "Has anyone ever actually inserted this T-Handle in a MK center cap bolt?".
    I have not personally possessed MK wheels.

Also this pic is from a listing of a NIB set of Ronal wheels showing how they were supplied with the wheel.

In looking for information, I found a post indicating that someone was able to remove the bolt using needlenose pliers inserted into two of the holes, and then clamping the pliers with a pair of vicegrip locking pliers. If you were wanting to remove them and replace with more common Socket head cap screws.

- - - Updated - - -

Complete kit 4x screws and a tool 12£

http://www.tunershop.co.uk/BORBET_A_...x_p221012.html
    Last edited by hognhominy; 05-30-2015 at 07:38 PM.

My Cars
    840ci
    I have not personally possessed MK wheels.

Also this pic is from a listing of a NIB set of Ronal wheels showing how they were supplied with the wheel.

In looking for information, I found a post indicating that someone was able to remove the bolt using needlenose pliers inserted into two of the holes, and then clamping the pliers with a pair of vicegrip locking pliers. If you were wanting to remove them and replace with more common Socket head cap screws.

- - - Updated - - -

Complete kit 4x screws and a tool 12£

http://www.tunershop.co.uk/BORBET_A_...x_p221012.html

Aha, and therein lies the misunderstanding......
    I'm sorry....I currently have the oem T-Handle for my MK's of ten years. My constant concern is misplacing it and not having a spare.
    The tunerShop Center cap screw set pictured feature three equi distant slots for the T-Handle. The slots in the oem
    MK center cap screw have three unevenly spaced slots. Hence my original question regarding the actual fitment of
    the Pontiac T-Handle.

My Cars
    00 E38 750IL 92 E31 850
    just change them out for ss pan heads with allen socket.......
    92 Dinan Stage III 850 Twin Turbo (1 of 4)
    625 Hp on 93 pump gas @ 14 psi 660 ft lbs torque

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by e31gixxxer View Post
    Is there a special tool for this fixing bolt for the MK hub caps?
    I can't seem to find anything at all. Will I be making my own?
    Cheers

Is this the original bolt that came with MK's when purchased new? I got a baggy with the center cap bolts when I purchased my MK1's but none except one looks like this. The key included is also not for this figure. If this is the original bolt I'd like to get a set.

Thanks
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
    Is this the original bolt that came with MK's when purchased new? I got a baggy with the center cap bolts when I purchased my MK1's but none except one looks like this. The key included is also not for this figure. If this is the original bolt I'd like to get a set.

Thanks
    Yes, it is certainly the original bolt. When purchased they, along with the appropriate T-Handle, accompanyed my MK1's.
    We owners of MK1's are apparently seeking the proverbial "hen's teeth" when it comes to replacement center caps, bolts and T-Handles.
    Judicious use and careful storage are MK1 ownership prerequisites. Good luck with your search.

My Cars
    not enough
    Sweet...quick follow up question, does the original MK1 t-handle tool have any special markings or branding? Or is it plain black like the one above. I may just end up getting that kit above.

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    840ci
    Sweet...quick follow up question, does the original MK1 t-handle tool have any special markings or branding? Or is it plain black like the one above. I may just end up getting that kit above.
    Physically it is identical, no markings or branding. Only difference is the unevenly spaced silver posts corresponding with the MK center cap, specific bolt patterns.

My Cars
    840ci

Thanks
    I sent you a PM regarding your one OEM MK1 bolt. Did you receive it. If so I shall wait for you response.
    Thanks

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    [QUOTE] The slots in the oem
    MK center cap screw have three unevenly spaced slots. Hence my original question regarding the actual fitment of
    the Pontiac T-Handle.[QUOTE]

Correct, measured between hole centres, there is 1mm difference between each of the three readings.

just change them out for ss pan heads with allen socket.......

This is my kind of fix

My Cars
    not enough
    Got your PM, will reply

My other projects:

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    Found these by chance while looking for some unrelated wheel cover bolts, look very close and very cheep.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2526753782...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT