Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1SLWM3's Low Displacement - High Compression E85 Turbo Build

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    Welcome back man, get your car on the road already! If the final parts I need for fabrication show up this week, I plan on getting most everything buttoned up and ready for the first start in 2-3 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone heard of this company before? A coworker of mine showed me them this morning and I'm curious what you guys think.

http://www.briskracing.com/brisk-racing-lgs-spark-plugs

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.briskusa.com/brisk_premium_lgs_spark_plug_performance_and_fuel_ economy

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Great thread/build...looking forward to results!!

Wow, those Maxpsi pics take me back to my D200 days in the shop haha

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    subscribed for high compression turbo goodness.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Great thread/build...looking forward to results!!

Wow, those Maxpsi pics take me back to my D200 days in the shop haha

Feels like forever ago I bought this car from Omar. Should be getting a number of things in the mail this week I've been waiting on to get back on the ball!

Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    subscribed for high compression turbo goodness.

Thanks! Soooooooooon.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Interesting turbo choice, I think it will do surprisingly very well.
    Can't wait.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Interesting turbo choice, I think it will do surprisingly very well.
    Can't wait.
    I have a few links to dyno graphs of this exact turbo/manifold/downpipe run on a 2.8L.

This is what the turbo did on a stock 2.8 with MLS and incorrectly timed cams and VANOS not working @ 15.5 psi on 91 octane:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W...urbo-91oct.png

11-12ish psi on built 2.9L with VANOS kinda working but cams still timed incorrectly:
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-n...ept_421whp.jpg

Thought I'd share an update on my progress over the last couple weeks...

I was able to get the OBD2 harness and sensors installed, along with the front clip and cooling components. Still need to fab up mounts for the fuel pressure regulator, oil cooler and Intercooler as well as my charge piping. Jordan is sending out my ECU loaded with a base tune this week and I still need to wiring up my injectors. I've received two cracked OBD2 valve covers back to back so I am waiting on a third replacement in the mail. Once things are looking more presentable in my rats nest of an engine bay, I will snap a few current pictures. Also in need of a fender roller and Im waiting on an order which has tranny,brake, power steering, diff and break in engine oil.

While waiting on parts to arrive, I found myself a new distraction I truly did not need. However, very happy I found it. Last week I picked up a neglected "diamond in the ruff" 2001 M5. I have a few boost related plans for this car but wont be crossing that bridge until the M3 is running and fully sorted. For those that are interested, here are the details.

09/00' Production Date (Post facelift)
    Carbon Black
    Extended Leather Package
    127,000 Miles

Pro's:
    Brembo BBK up front
    Dinan F&R Sway Bars
    Dinan (Koni) Shocks and Spring
    Dinan Front Strut Bar
    Suede Headliner in perfect shape
    Newish Pilot Sports
    Amazing price
    otherwise stock

Con's:
    Interior was shit (gone now)
    needs cam position sensors (waiting to install)
    Cracked front bumper
    OEM finish on the wheels is peeling away
    Front control arms are done
    Pixels in the cluster are out

My roommate and I stripped the entire interior out stopping at the dash the very next day. I purchased a black M5 sport interior from an M5board member and it showed up Friday in great shape. Still waiting on trim and black carpet before reinstalling everything. mean while the seats sit inside getting bathed in meek oil and some of the best leather conditioner I have found so far (Hide Food) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bentley-Roll...ef6f22&vxp=mtr

Last edited by 1SLWM3; 09-30-2015 at 11:21 AM.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i E90
    You said the E39 was special enough to get its own thread. You lie.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell042 View Post
    You said the E39 was special enough to get its own thread. You lie.
    The M5 section blows. No activity. I need a reason to post it here in the FI section since this is where I live nowadays.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    I think it's time to share an update. I've been taking it easy letting the arm heal up which has slowed progress down a bit. However, I was able to coordinate getting the car to the shop for some much needed charge piping and exhaust fabrication. Now that the car is back home and most of the small tasks are tackled, I'm left with just a few common things to finish up. Fluids, valve cover, mounting of the fuel pressure regulator and running one last fuel line, throwing a battery in and filling her up with e85.

The exhaust is a completely different setup than I had before. I'm running a 3" down pipe through an electric 3" cutout, to a high flow cat that allows you to run a catback in stock mounting locations. I decided to run my stock exhaust for that extra bit of sleeper status. Im sure it will suffer greatly without the cutout open, but we all know it will take seconds to release the madness at the touch of a button. Seems like a pretty fair compromise to me. Here are some shitty pictures to enjoy.

First day the car has touched the driveway in years and it starts to pour.

Last edited by 1SLWM3; 08-28-2015 at 03:30 PM.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Looking good!! So much room without AC!!
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    I like the blue block!

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Sick! Not sure how I missed this when you posted it in May but stoked to see you so close!

My Cars
    1992 325i

1SLWM3's Low Displacement - High Compression E85 Turbo Build

Did you make that turbo mount?? It looks oddly the same as mine.

Edit: TRM I see. Cool! Nice build and e39!

92 325i TCD Turbo | 98 528i
    Instagram: @kairaspo

My Cars
    93 325is
    Great Build! Any updates?
    Im putting your intercooler and piping to work! Needed some work but its running well now!

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    Seeing that I started my mini part out thread, I figured it would make sense to update you guys on the car as it currently sits. I hunt almost every weekend this time of year so progress is very slow. However, hunting season ends in two weeks for me which means it's back to the garage. I'll also be moving in the near future so I need to at least have the car moving under its own power if there isn't enough interested generated from parting it out.

A couple weekends ago I was able to crank the motor over for the first time with some fresh fluids and e85. Confirmed fuel pressure and oil pressure despite a lovely oil cooler line connection leaking and oil feed line for the turbo leaking like siv's. Tightened those up and continued to crank for the first start. After a little head scratching it became obvious we have no spark.

My first thought was the shitty eBay crank sensor I bought as I have to use a European OBD2 crank sensor that mounts on the timing cover. For those who don't know, Im using an OBD1 M50 Block/motor which does not have the provision for the rear mounted OBD2 crank sensor found on M52 and S52's. But I'm running an OBD2 engine wiring harness and tune. The work around is to use the Euro Z3 crank sensor, part #12141703277. The problem is the one I bought reads way below the factory specs and didn't do it's job. Decided to buy an OEM sensor and no US distributor can get this European part. So in a pinch I ordered another aftermarket sensor from ECS hoping its better quality than the first. It showed up a while ago, reads about 450ohms so I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow night. Using the OBD2 adaptor harness I get 12V at the crank sensor connector. But this connection does not match the one I have so I need to remove the adaptor harness and plug directly in to the original harness which does have a matching connection. I suspect it will only supply 5V from what I've read, but I will know soon enough.

Other than the no spark issue and the leaks I mentioned, the car is painfully close to starting and running for the first time in a long time. I need to install the adjustable control arms and roll the rear fenders a bit before I can go drive around too.

Also, wired up all my gauges to a power block that allows for 7 auxiliaries Mounted pretty clean and works great. I'm currently running AEM digital water temp, oil temp, oil pressure/fuel pressure(same gauge toggled between two sending units), boost and an innovative LC-1 Wideband per Jordan's recommendation. I planned on removing the boost gauge and replacing it with an electronic boost controller gauge combo and also adding in a data logger for all of these sensors and more. Leaving one more circuit open.

Some pictures

Last edited by 1SLWM3; 12-29-2015 at 01:50 PM.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    The m3 is sick. I love the color, and the exhaust.

I also really like the M5.

Well done all around!
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Sad to see these uncompleted projects. But when people make a bigger project than they can complete there is opportunity for others to take over or to buy parts for their own projects so not all is lost.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Sad to see these uncompleted projects. But when people make a bigger project than they can complete there is opportunity for others to take over or to buy parts for their own projects so not all is lost.
    I think casey bought a turbo estoril (his dream car)
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    Quote Originally Posted by dburt86 View Post
    The m3 is sick. I love the color, and the exhaust.

I also really like the M5.

Well done all around!
    Thanks man! It's been a long hard road, but fun for sure. No fat ladies screaming yet!

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    This is how It all came to be for myself. This not only becomes a positive opportunity for others but myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    I think casey bought a turbo estoril (his dream car)
    No purchase yet!

- - - Updated - - -

Should have some results tonight on the new crank position sensor. Fingers crossed.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    Gotta love when you email your tuner at midnight and he calls you minutes later. Once I upload the new file, we should be making fire. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by 1SLWM3; 12-31-2015 at 01:52 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12