Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast

Thread: The Z3 Diagnostics Thread: Instructions, Experiences, Discussions, Experimentation

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I'm working my way through this on a windows 10 laptop using the cable listed in the OP. I had to manually change the OBD.ini file from Com1 to Com3 to match my laptop to stop getting an INF-0018 error. Does this make sense, or did I just create another problem for myself? I have some some non-related issues that are keeping me from testing this fully on the car right now.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    So in device manager, your USB Serial Port is listed as COM3? (This has nothing to do with USB port location on your computer, it's all in the settings)

Also in device manager, what driver version is installed to the cable? I've seen issues with drivers newer than 2.12.00 with some cables, while some work just fine with the new Windows provided one.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Yes, the cable shows up on COM3, and when I went through the install process, I changed the setting to COM3 per the instructions. However, the OBD.ini file had COM1 on a line before a bunch of other stuff, so I changed that to 3 and saved it. It got me past the 0018 error, but I haven't tried the car again yet.

The driver comes up as 2.12.24.0 in the device manager

One other thing that might be important: Nothing happened when I did the step 3 part. I ran it in XT Serv. Pack 3 comparability, as an admin,but nothing seemed to happen. When I would start INPA, there were no tabs to click on. (Well, F1 and F10 only) I was poking around, and still had the data loader executable from the last version in my download folder, so I ran it, and got the command window that is described in the instructions. From then on INPA had model tabs to click on.

Thanks for all the work you have done on this. I'm in over my head on this, and wouldn't have made it this far without your instructions.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by rhitee93 View Post

One other thing that might be important: Nothing happened when I did the step 3 part. I ran it in XT Serv. Pack 3 comparability, as an admin,but nothing seemed to happen. When I would start INPA, there were no tabs to click on. (Well, F1 and F10 only) I was poking around, and still had the data loader executable from the last version in my download folder, so I ran it, and got the command window that is described in the instructions. From then on INPA had model tabs to click on.

Thanks for all the work you have done on this. I'm in over my head on this, and wouldn't have made it this far without your instructions.
    Your com port change will have fixed your connection errors.
    Thank you for reviewing the bold part. I will rebuild the 3rd step again, with a newer/alternative method that doesn't have issues in win10. I have no win10 computers (by choice), so I don't have a good way to verify.

- - - Updated - - -

Please see the new updated pack "INPA 2016 Pack V1.2", with updated Part3 data loader/extractor. Hopefully works flawlessly with Win10.
    You would have to repeat everything from step 1 to get it just right. (of course verify your COM port number again at the end)
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Hey 328, can any tools that you've included refresh an airbag module that has been deployed before? Or do I need to send it off to a specialized service for that?

I located a used module that matches the production date and options to my Z3, but it's salvaged from a crash vehicle where the bags were deployed. Thanks!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    No, these tools in this thread will not refresh an airbag module.
    One deployment may be enough for "Crash data stored" codes on some cars, so unless you actually go and read errors on the module, it will not be worth it.

Additionally this model's airbag module is the harder MRSZ3 by Temic... which can be cleared only by reading the eeprom chip on the mainboard, instead of the usual way via diagnostic port.
    I would have otherwise been happy to clear them for you. But on board reading is much harder, and not worth it, if the module can be found at ~$50.

Just tried it now on my Z3 '2.3'

Temic MRSZ3 2.5.png

For curiosity's sake:

Here is a read off my older M Coupe that I just did,
    MRSZ module
    MRSZ Z3m.png

Also here is an example someone sent me of what crash data can look like. This is an MRS3 module from a different bmw, but the idea is the same. The rightmost hexdump has crash data written.

Attachment 552565
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 12-06-2016 at 07:19 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    No, these tools in this thread will not refresh an airbag module.
    One deployment may be enough for "Crash data stored" codes on some cars, so unless you actually go and read errors on the module, it will not be worth it.

Additionally this model's airbag module is the harder MRSZ3 by Temic... which can be cleared only by reading the eeprom chip on the mainboard, instead of the usual way via diagnostic port.
    I would have otherwise been happy to clear them for you. But on board reading is much harder, and not worth it, if the module can be found at ~$50.

Just tried it now on my Z3 '2.3'

Temic MRSZ3 2.5.png

For curiosity's sake:

Here is a read off my older M Coupe that I just did,
    MRSZ module
    MRSZ Z3m.png

Also here is an example someone sent me of what crash data can look like. This is an MRS3 module from a different bmw, but the idea is the same. The rightmost hexdump has crash data written.

Attachment 552565
    Very interesting! Thank you for the heads-up and all the hours put into this work.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I forgot to mention, I used an aftermarket tool called Carprog to read the airbag units. It is an EEPROM chip tool for airbag modules, instrument cluster, immobilizer, radio, etc. Definitely not BMW Standard Tools. The airbag module is technically not flashable/updatable, well as intended by BMW.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Just got this running on an ancient WinXP machine and install went fairly easily. A couple notes and a question:

- The cables you recommended worked perfectly and seem to be good quality.
    - I didn't know the administrator password so just installed everything as a user and it went fine. My guess is the same couldn't be said of Win7+.
    - In INPA I couldn't access the cluster from inside the car but could get it under the hood. (Looking back through your instructions you seem to have already pointed this out. RTFM.)

NCS Expert loads and I can select a profile but trying to sync with the computer prompts a vin input which returns "VIN is faulty" error. Any idea what's going on? Forums seem to indicate it's a missing car data thing but I ran the LoadData.exe and that seemed to go fine.

Edit - Another issue, when I go into engine diagnostics in INPA I get an error "Versions do not match. Malfunction possible!". It seems to read everything ok, though. Is this because I have conforti program on there?
    Last edited by JWin; 12-07-2016 at 02:46 AM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    Just got this running on an ancient WinXP machine and install went fairly easily. A couple notes and a question:

- The cables you recommended worked perfectly and seem to be good quality.

-Glad to hear, I've been using these kind of cables for minor to moderate work for nearly 9 years now. If you do the software modification in section E. 2. you'll even see the ignition and battery dots come ON. Not necessary at all, but it helps to know if INPA recognizes the cable

- I didn't know the administrator password so just installed everything as a user and it went fine. My guess is the same couldn't be said of Win7+.

-Correct, Win7+ heavily depends on administrator rights for modifying anything in C:\, C:\Program Files\, C:\Windows, etc. Many times the main user of a home computer is the administrator, so you just have to open with admin rights.

- In INPA I couldn't access the cluster from inside the car but could get it under the hood. (Looking back through your instructions you seem to have already pointed this out. RTFM.)

-Yes, nearly all modules will need to be scanned via 20-Pin port on your car. The engine control module is the only one that will work at the OBD2 port on your car.

NCS Expert loads and I can select a profile but trying to sync with the computer prompts a vin input which returns "VIN is faulty" error. Any idea what's going on? Forums seem to indicate it's a missing car data thing but I ran the LoadData.exe and that seemed to go fine.

-Did you follow the directions in section D. 2., single module coding? NCSExpert should extract your VIN from either the EWS module or KMB (sometimes CKMB, Coding Plug KOMBI).
    After loading a profile, click "VIN/ZCS/FA" button, then on next window click "ZCS/FA f. ECU" (ZCS/FA from ECU), then choose E36, and the EWS module (or you can try KMB, or CKMB, whichever returns data. EWS retrieves full VIN and ZCS code, while KMB/CKMB returns last 7 of VIN and ZCS code). Then the program will connect to the chosen module and read the data from car. Do NOT enter a VIN unless you want to accidentally change your VIN in some modules.
    *Also the VIN is 18 digits in this program, because the last character is a Checksum of the VIN code, to make sure that code integrity is kept.*

This document visually shows the proper way to use NCSExpert in the first few steps. (E36 example of changing HVAC temperature format)

BMW E36 IHKA.pdf

Edit - Another issue, when I go into engine diagnostics in INPA I get an error "Versions do not match. Malfunction possible!". It seems to read everything ok, though. Is this because I have conforti program on there?

That is completely fine, sometimes you may get "Language versions do not match" also. It is because the diagnosing data for that module isn't matched to the INPA version. Nothing to do with your ECU version and more to do with the INPA version vs. the files for diagnosis. INPA is the newest version, but the loaded data is older, because E36 is older. These were the newest English version data files that I can post. I have never seen it affect anything negatively.
    Replied in line.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 12-07-2016 at 09:06 AM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    First, thank you 328 Power, for putting all this together and answering questions. You must have saver this community thousands of dollars in diagnosis and misdiagnosis problems. Not to mention all the other technical advice.

I seemed to have installed everything ok, and I've got the OBDII to USB cable and adapter that was recommended in the first post. The OBDII connector lights up when plugged into the OBDII port.

IN PA fires up just fine, and there are two tiny black dots that flicker in the upper left, vertically. But it doesn't indicate battery or ignition on the start page. Attempting to connect yields the 0018 initialization error. This is all while the engine is running.

The adapter and INPA are both set up to use COM 11. Adapter timing is set to 1ms.

It looks like I am so close! Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Schreier; 12-09-2016 at 09:28 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Try any com 1-9 first. I don't think INPA likes 10+
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Ok, now I've got both INPA and the adapter on port 2 (I heard there could be conflicts on port 1, and got a 0009 error on that port). With the car on, through the OBDII port, I've still got a 0009 no response from control unit and no battery or ignition indicator.

In C:/ediabas/bin, I've got ebas32.exe running on Windows XP SP3 compatibility, with admin rights. I've also got INPALOAD.exe and INPA.exe in C:/EC-APPS/BIN running in XP SP3 compatibility with admin. Is that proper or necessary?

**edit**

Hold on! Hold on! It's working!!!

INPA is working.jpg

I had the cap off of the round 20-pin port under the hood. Apparently it didn't care for that much, when you're trying to talk to the OBDII port.

Sort of makes sense when you look at the cap to the 20-pin port. There's pins actually sticking out, like it's supposed to make an electrical connection when closed.
    Last edited by Schreier; 12-11-2016 at 06:30 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yes, the cap bridges the TxD2 line to the OBDii port. This is done so you can't have two competing scanners on the same serial line... too much smoke would escape doing that. Port 1 (20 pin) is primary. If it is closed and the cap on, data line is passed on to port 2 (16 pin)

/.randy

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Yes, but to reach an airbag module, it is necessary to use the 20 pin port.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Just adding a small FYI.

I did the INPA install remotely for someone on Windows 7, and I didn't manually add Environment Variables (the Standard Tools 2.12 installer does this automatically), nor did I do the computer restart, and it worked just fine.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Only BMW's for last 30 y
    Looks like I found PANDORA BOX!
    For long time I am looking for INPA which I can install on Windows 7 comp. My old with XP dead last summer.
    Therefore I would like to clarify a few questions:
    - Does it works with K-DCAN cable, INPA compatable? Or I have to buy VAG cable.
    - Does it works with E91 , E70, E65 and other similar models?
    Thank you advance for answers.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysi View Post
    Looks like I found PANDORA BOX!
    For long time I am looking for INPA which I can install on Windows 7 comp. My old with XP dead last summer.
    Therefore I would like to clarify a few questions:
    - Does it works with K-DCAN cable, INPA compatable? Or I have to buy VAG cable.
    - Does it works with E91 , E70, E65 and other similar models?
    Thank you advance for answers.
    Yes it works with K+DCAN INPA cable.
    VAG cable (with internal pins 7&8 bridged) is my preference for cars older than 2007, but K+DCAN (with 7&8 bridged) will do the same.

2007 and newer REQUIRE K+DCAN cable (without bridging of 7&8).

My pack works with any BMW 1996 to about 2011, and maybe even slightly newer. It's not perfect, but pretty good.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Only BMW's for last 30 y
    328 Power 04 you are great Man!
    Thank you.

My Cars
    Only BMW's for last 30 y
    After reading installation instruction I got another questions:
    - How it is friendly with other car diagnostic software, for example StarCom (Mercedes), Consult (Nissan) and support information system like TIS, WDS ...?
    - Can I install in designated folder on other than C-drive ( D-drive) or only in C-drive but designated folder ( C:\ BMW Diagnostic\ To try not spread all files all over?

My Cars
    '02 330i
    My air bag light is on and its been on since I bought the car in September 2015. I have INPA loaded in my laptop and went through the process a few times trying to clear it and turn it off, to no avail. When I check codes, many are there in memory, none are active. I've done the Erase a few times but the codes remain in memory. So I'm thinking that there might have been an airbag deployment at some time, and I do not have to tools to clear the deployment memory(?) I can't tell from the INPA information if there has been a deployment.

328 Power, thanks for organizing all of this information. It has been extremely useful to me. INPA is a very powerful tool.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Can you list the codes?

There are two ways, screenshots, or copy the text:

Go to C:\EC-APPS\INPA\BIN\ folder and open the "na_fs.tmp" file with notepad. It contains your last error scan results (it's historical, so you do not have to be at the car to read the na_fs.tmp file).

Copy and paste that text here.

Or the screenshot.

Unfortunately, many errors left tends to mean that the airbag has an internal fault error. This is very difficult to recover on your model year (went through it myself) and usually requires module replacement. Used Z3 module from same year variant, same part number will work.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 01-28-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysi View Post
    After reading installation instruction I got another questions:
    - How it is friendly with other car diagnostic software, for example StarCom (Mercedes), Consult (Nissan) and support information system like TIS, WDS ...?
    - Can I install in designated folder on other than C-drive ( D-drive) or only in C-drive but designated folder ( C:\ BMW Diagnostic\ To try not spread all files all over?
    Replied in PM, but copied here too for others, if curious:

It does not interfere with any other diagnostics programs. I have used DAS/Xentry and ISTA on the same computer, as well as Toyota Techstream.

About the folder location, you can try to install in a different folder, but standard operation is in C:\ ; using C:\EDIABAS\ for main connection interface, and C:\EC-Apps\ , C:\NCSEXPER\ for the programs. I haven't tested them in any other configuration, but I do know that many of the BMW standard programs depend on this location scheme. It may get complicated quickly if the settings are not set up just right.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Many, many thanks to 328 Power 04. This is an invaluable resource.

I reset the airbag light and cycled ABS valves today after an issue-free INPA install and set up.

Question though: does anyone know the correct procedure, at least for a 2000 Z3M Coupe or similar, for cycling the various ABS valves? The INPA menu allows activating individual intake and exhaust valves for each caliper as well as running the abs pump. But I have no idea as to the correct procedure and still have a somewhat mushy pedal. A massive google and bimmerforums search yielded many who have asked the same question but no answers.

Thanks!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3eattle View Post
    Many, many thanks to 328 Power 04. This is an invaluable resource.

I reset the airbag light and cycled ABS valves today after an issue-free INPA install and set up.

Question though: does anyone know the correct procedure, at least for a 2000 Z3M Coupe or similar, for cycling the various ABS valves? The INPA menu allows activating individual intake and exhaust valves for each caliper as well as running the abs pump. But I have no idea as to the correct procedure and still have a somewhat mushy pedal. A massive google and bimmerforums search yielded many who have asked the same question but no answers.

Thanks!
    You are welcome.

For your problem, you should not need to bleed the ABS pump, unless you let the lines run dry completely. Otherwise the old fluid will pass through the pump with a normal bleed. I would look into the age of your rubber brake lines. When they balloon out, the pedal gets real mushy. Replace with DOT approved braided lines and do a good bleed.

If you got air into the system...

...you have come up with a good question. I have searched what a usual ABS pump does in a bleed routine, and haven't yet come up with a clear answer. It would be good to know. I see some pumps have an extra chamber that stays closed until the valves are actuated. I wonder if ours (we have at least 3 different kinds installed, though) are like this.

Possibly something like, run pump, open intake valve, run pump, open exhaust valve, run pump, close both?

If we get a clear answer, I can build a Tool32 test file that will do the complete routine automatically with one click, for each wheel.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast