Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 315's on an e39

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Clay what is the lockup % wise on the 4clutch kit?

I just picked up a M5 diff and axles for my car, and I'm debating 2 clutch rebuild or going 4....
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    You stance farts pounding away on your wheel well lips, if you crack or scratch the paint, expose bare metal, you are inviting rust, for the sake of wider tires. Make sure you touch it up, touch up paint is not good enough, it'll only protect the metal for a short period, the proper way is to use an epoxy primer mixed with hardener, 3 to 1, once that is dry, then touch up paint will do, if you think someone will shove an eyeball up you wheel wells to see what kind of underoos you wear....
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    e30 e34
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    You stance farts pounding away on your wheel well lips, if you crack or scratch the paint, expose bare metal, you are inviting rust, for the sake of wider tires. Make sure you touch it up, touch up paint is not good enough, it'll only protect the metal for a short period, the proper way is to use an epoxy primer mixed with hardener, 3 to 1, once that is dry, then touch up paint will do, if you think someone will shove an eyeball up you wheel wells to see what kind of underoos you wear....
    That's what the wood is for mannn. Besides, I live in GA, we don't have rust
    '88 s54 e30, '00 m5

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcbe34 View Post
    That's what the wood is for mannn. Besides, I live in GA, we don't have rust
    Well good for you, but for crap's sakes, you're giving advice to others that may not live in your neck of the hillbilly woods, use your head, mannnnnnn.....

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    Oh god here we go. I use self etching primer. Expensive but worth it. Plus it never rains here in Seattle anyway....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------Like the late Bill Paxton says repeatedly in Twister "I'm Not Back"---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post

I just picked up a M5 diff and axles for my car, and I'm debating 2 clutch rebuild or going 4....
    The 4 clutch kit offers literally double the friction surface area of a stock differential. Lock up would be considered 50-60%.

My Cars
    e30 e34
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Well good for you, but for crap's sakes, you're giving advice to others that may not live in your neck of the hillbilly woods, use your head, mannnnnnn.....
    Oh you were serious, I assumed otherwise. I'll refrain from commenting any further, you sound annoying.

Do as you wish with you fenders, in my opinion, the type of work I am talking about doing here will not require any primer or paint unless something goes horribly wrong. I did not experience any cracking, mostly because the paint on this part of the car is on top of undercoating, which has a little bit of flexibility. I also only had to hit it two or three times with my big ol' hillbilly bfh
    '88 s54 e30, '00 m5

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    We don't even use self etching primer anymore, Chad. If you have a welder, get two pieces of steel, if you don't have any, go to a body shop and get some pieces from the scrap pile. Prep the the two pieces that you will weld together, you have to grind to bare metal, both sides, drill some holes, if you don't have a spot welder, and you are using a mig. This is what the etching primer was really for, you spray both bare sides, clamp 'em together, weld. do a few welds. Stick the piece out in your back yard, give it 6 months, then inspect. There will be rust.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbe34 View Post
    Oh you were serious, I assumed otherwise. I'll refrain from commenting any further, you sound annoying.

Do as you wish with you fenders, in my opinion, the type of work I am talking about doing here will not require any primer or paint unless something goes horribly wrong. I did not experience any cracking, mostly because the paint on this part of the car is on top of undercoating, which has a little bit of flexibility. I also only had to hit it two or three times with my big ol' hillbilly bfh
    Wtf, you got all butthurt on that??? Jeezuz, you kiddies crack me up... Sorry, the truth can be annoying sometimes, I've seen what your hillbilly bfh can do when you kiddies whack away on these things, then we have to do rust repair later on down the road....

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Wow, there are some serious people on this forum.... How's anyone supposed to have an enjoyable internetz discussion with all of the bad idea police just waiting to slap everyone down.

Clay, how is that beast running now that you have a few more days on the setup? It's amazing to me that you can hook 1st gear at all with your "low boost" power level. Truly impressive!

Do those tires feel funky in the corners, or not bad?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Clay didn't do all this for stance reasons or just to look good. He is making 650 ft lbs at the tire. It was purely for traction. I imagine he is shooting for 10's in the 1/4 mile. I also don't think he is too worried about messing up the body since he paid almost nothing for the car itself. Everything could be swappped over to a donor car in a week or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post

My 3 clutch setup is 40% lock and IMO, perfect for a street car. I never get chirping around turns etc. I am making 500 ft lbs at the tire and have no trouble hooking up and pulling straight. Great traction when pushing it on the twisties too.
    Last edited by RVAE34; 05-29-2015 at 06:07 PM.

My Cars
    E39
    Lol @ "hillbilly bfh".

My fender rolling was far from backwoods body molestation. It was done proper with the right equipment, I challenge anyone to look at it in person and say it's not a clean roll job. As stated above I'm not trying to be cool with my stance, I'm trying to make my 131mph 1/4 mile trap equate to the 10 second pass it's supposed to.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Wow, there are some serious people on this forum.... How's anyone supposed to have an enjoyable internetz discussion with all of the bad idea police just waiting to slap everyone down.

Clay, how is that beast running now that you have a few more days on the setup? It's amazing to me that you can hook 1st gear at all with your "low boost" power level. Truly impressive!

Do those tires feel funky in the corners, or not bad?
    First of all, I was not talking about M5Hunter's car. I know why he's doing what he's doing. Some of you guys need to grasp what it is you are reading, and not let others opinions get you all down so easy. When somebody starts talking about using a BFH, and for others to whack away at their cars fender lips just for the sake of having wide wheels with no rubbing, and leaving it at that, I thought I would comment on that, and say what I said, to prevent rust, I work at an autobody collision shop. I didn't realize that butthurt would ooze in so quick, you guys that get your feelings hurt so easy, you really need to simply grow some thicker skin, and hopefully understand what is being said.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I just feel bad for you letting something like this get you so riled up. Empathy.

If you didn't mean it to come across the angry, "save everyone from themselves at all costs or else" way it did, then no prob.

My Cars
    06/98 540i/6, E9
    *starts hammering his fenders*

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    So using a BFH was not how I was supposed to roll my touring's fenders? I guess that would explain the dents. Thanks a lot, guys!
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I just feel bad for you letting something like this get you so riled up. Empathy.

If you didn't mean it to come across the angry, "save everyone from themselves at all costs or else" way it did, then no prob.
    No need to feel bad, just drives me nuts, how internet cowboys get on a thread about something, ten posts later, everything's gotten misconstrued, and somebody ran off, crying to mommy, 'cause somebody pointed something important out, and his feelings got hurt. It's getting worse, hate to see what it's like in ten years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
    So using a BFH was not how I was supposed to roll my touring's fenders? I guess that would explain the dents. Thanks a lot, guys!
    Knucklehead! Lol.

My Cars
    E39
    Still happy with everything so far. Car already feels slow again...lol. Heading to the dyno on the 9th to get my tune touched up and go back to "high boost". As far as turning and corners, it feels great as far as I can tell. I haven't really pushed it yet, but nothing makes me feel like there should be any issue.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    ^^^^^^^ Like it

My Cars
    02 bmw 540

Come on B, let's get a side profile pic as well B, not just yo azz

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Great shot!

My Cars
    E39 530iT Sport Manual
    Hi,
    To the OP, Do you have any other photos of you car with the 315s on it but from further away and from difficult angles. I love this look and would like to see the overall look it gives to the car from a distance. What did you put on the front?
    Thanks in advance!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234