Thread: Driving cross country, beer for couch and shower

My Cars
    '98 540i6

Driving cross country, beer for couch and shower

Hello all.

I will be driving from Seattle to Boston the first week of June. Gonna try to make the trip in about 4 days (but probly 5) , and want to save $$$. I plan on stopping near Billings, MT the first day, making a hard pull to Rochester MN to see a friend on the second, Cleveland on the third, and end up in Boston on the 4th day.

Any bimmer enthusiasts want a few beers and good company in exchange for the use of your shower and couch? Cities and time can certainly change depending on traffic and my ability sit still for 10-12 hours a day... And assuming my 5 series doesnt grenade somewhere in the middle of course.

John
    '98 540i/6
    --CAI--Muffler Delete--ACS Type II Wheels--Bilstein PSS--Eibach Sway Bars--Dinan Stage I Software--ECS MTech Bumper--
    '03 325iT Sport Pkg (sold)
    '85 535is 5speed (sold)
    '99 528i 5speed (dead)

My Cars
    '98 540i6
    Dang, 10 days and no replys?
    '98 540i/6
    --CAI--Muffler Delete--ACS Type II Wheels--Bilstein PSS--Eibach Sway Bars--Dinan Stage I Software--ECS MTech Bumper--
    '85 535is 5speed (sold)
    '99 528i 5speed (dead)

My Cars
    z3
    You are relatively new to the forum (by post count at least) asking for basically free lodging. If you were an established member of the community you may have better luck but I'd never let a complete stranger stay over at my place... too many valuables hanging around. I'm sure others share this view as well.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

I would personally find it weird to go shower at some random persons house that you met on a forum haha.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    For what it's worth, in my college days I crashed at many an unknown (or just slightly known) person's pad. So I can see where OP is coming from.

Still as the weather is warm, my advice is to bring (borrow) a tent and blankets and sleep in your car or outside. Hostels are also famous for being cheap places to flop - my uncle used to travel this way with his family, he said it was for the experience but I think it was because he's cheap. You can also sometimes get deals on hotels if they're mostly empty and/or if there is lots of competition around. One more google search item: truck stops - they have showers and for the corridor you're talking about you should be able to find some.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    '98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    For what it's worth, in my college days I crashed at many an unknown (or just slightly known) person's pad. So I can see where OP is coming from.

Still as the weather is warm, my advice is to bring (borrow) a tent and blankets and sleep in your car or outside. Hostels are also famous for being cheap places to flop - my uncle used to travel this way with his family, he said it was for the experience but I think it was because he's cheap. You can also sometimes get deals on hotels if they're mostly empty and/or if there is lots of competition around. One more google search item: truck stops - they have showers and for the corridor you're talking about you should be able to find some.
    Yeah I'll have a tent, sleeping bag, and camp stove with me. My goal is to only spend the cost of gas and hopefully meet some cool ppl. I am certainly simpathetic to BimmerBreaker's concerns, I figure most people have the same reservations. However, when I was younger I was a bit more trusting, I picked up a few hitchhikers in my day. When I was rooming with buddies (pre marriage) we opened our couch up to "friends of friends" on occasion. I was better for it, and still keep in contact with some of those guys.

Im not hard up for cash by any means, just seeing whats out there and treating this as kind of an experiment. Most figure a cross country trip to cost over $1200. Interested to see if I can do it for less than $600 including gas, food, and lodging.
    '98 540i/6
    '85 535is 5speed (sold)
    '99 528i 5speed (dead)

Maybe look at AirBnB and see if there would be any locations could act as way points that you could hit....

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    weather is getting nice, so you can probably camp out or sleep in your car. That being said, you can easily find a decent motel for not too much (less than $60) in smaller towns. Since you only need 2 or 3 nights, it won't be too expensive.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    '98 540i6
    Thanks for the advice fellas. Trip's coming up soon, gotta get my bleep in gear.
    '98 540i/6
    '85 535is 5speed (sold)
    '99 528i 5speed (dead)