View Poll Results: Which would you pick?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2007 E86 Z4 3.0si

5 27.78%
  • 2008 E92 328i Coupe

13 72.22%

Thread: Which of these cars would you pick and why?

My Cars
    E90 M3

Which of these cars would you pick and why?

Looking into selling my 540 and upgrading to something newer. Budget is 13k. I'm looking for fuel efficiency, reliability, and good looks. I've narrowed it down to the cars in the vote. I'm not too worried about power; most of my driving is city driving and there's no twisty roads anywhere. I've driven the e92 328 and the power was adequate for my purposes. Vote for your pick, then if you would, write why in the comments.

If you have another car suggestion, let me know and why.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by extra; 05-10-2015 at 04:41 PM.
    F10 535i

Formerly Owned:

2000 540i/6
    E23 733i
    E90 M3
    E53 X5

My Cars
    05 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by extra View Post
    Looking into selling my 540 and upgrading to something newer. Budget is 13k. I'm looking for fuel efficiency, reliability, and good looks. I've narrowed it down to the cars in the vote. I'm not too worried about power; most of my driving is city driving and there's no twisty roads anywhere. I've driven the e92 328 and the power was adequate for my purposes. Vote for your pick, then if you would, write why in the comments. If you have another car suggestion, let me know and why. Thanks in advance.

The 328i is a little more practical for DD then Z4. Plus you can't really drive any one around in the Z4.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    E92 because "there's no twisty roads anywhere".

My Cars
    z3
    If you can get away with the 3.0si I would. I have a 2.5i and it's a great driver, the N52 in the 3.0si is a great engine and must be a hoot in the 3.0si. As impractical as they are, unless you do a lot of camping or something or plan on hauling around 4 other people with you, I've driven a Z3/Z4 for years and it's practical enough for me but I'm also pretty young and don't "need" the practicality yet.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    >I< would pick the z4, but that's just showing my bias.

Based on what you describe as your driving environment you'd probably do better with the other however. It's certainly more practical and I wouldn't own a z4 if I didn't already own a more practical car.

That said, I suppose it depends on what you'd need a practical car for and as I think of it, chances are many of the things I can't use my z4 for (dump runs, logging roads, lumber, snow, etc) may not apply to you living in Florida.

The z4 uniqueness of design really appealed to me, and though I like some pre-1970 BMW's, if it wasn't for the z4 I wouldn't own a modern BMW.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by extra View Post
    Looking into selling my 540 and upgrading to something newer. Budget is 13k. I'm looking for fuel efficiency, reliability, and good looks.
    Thanks in advance.
    keep the E39, unless it's riddled with problems. If you maintained your car well, I doubt it'll be much less reliable than the two choices you listed there.
    If you have a short commute and mostly drive in the city, then you can probably a lease an EV for probably the same monthly fuel cost on your E39.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    1990 325i sedan
    I would go with the 328i. if the power is good for you and you are buying with practicality in mind, then that would be the best choice.

the z4 would loads of fun but you aren't taking many people or stuff along with you.

I had a two seater car for years and loved it but now that i have sedan i am able to carry friends around and
    be the one who drives when it comes to road trips. (plus my e30 is tons of fun anyway)