Thread: quick rip at dd51 (turbo content)

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    https://youtu.be/SmZU6BkoB9g

In need of massive lee's dual caliper set up and the SLR kit. Although I am a noob to the drift scene, it feels like I am going lock to lock but could use more angle....advice appreciated!
    Last edited by deek10sn; 04-27-2015 at 11:27 PM.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    More angle is always nice to have as is a very good handbrake. As well as a hard mounted camera, couldn't tell much from the weird angles the passenger captured.

I have an SLR kit and The Massive Dual Caliper setup and I can definitely recommend both. Easily the two best things on my car.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yes the video sucks, great day to leave the go pro at home! This was my third event, but first with an operable hand brake, so a much different initiation than the power over I am used to. A rebuild stock cable brake seems to do the trick for now, but I don't see it lasting too long.
    So as far as the SLR kit giving more angle, what is the feel of the car? Not sure how to word the question better, but the times I did spin out, I was at full lock and it seemed like the car could kick wider and extend the drift further if that makes any sense?

Thanks for the reply

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    The overall feel is night and day. The steering is much more focused, on point and sharper. The quicker ratio combined with the geometry corrections makes input very quick and precise. Its how I wish all cars were. It allows you to be very smooth when you want to be. The angle makes it to where you would have to really throw the car very hard in order to actually spin. Gives you a lot of confidence to just chuck the car hard into a corner and not worry about spinning thanks to that I can drive way harder than I would have previously felt comfortable doing.

I mean its not necessary to have but once you've driven with a kit you really don't want to go back.

forgive the constant limiter bashing as my car only has about 150whp and couldn't pull 3rd gear at all around this track. Pay attention to the steering.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shFhCauDftc
    Last edited by Piner; 04-29-2015 at 12:48 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Thanks for posting the video, and your explanation is much better than my question asking! I see what you mean about being able throw the car, especially in the transitions. Did you ever steer to full lock in the vid, looked like you always had just a little more angle to play with? Very smooth run by the way. Heading to SLRs website...again.

Will the kit have any adverse effects on high speed road courses?

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    I havent noticed any adverse effects at any speed. Only downside is having to run a very healthy amount of negative camber up front due to the control arm length.

I never hit the lock stops on that video. I rarely ever touch them actually and I don't even have a wheel and tire setup that can really take advantage of the kit. If I add some 20mm wheel spacers I should get another 5-8* of lock. I just don't feel the need for it atm.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm of a mixed mind set. I feel like stock angle makes you learn more since you don't have that nice sexy cushion. But it's also super frustrating. I also rarely hit lock. Anything past half angle massively slows down the car so I try not to use it under regular circumstances. I probably should though.

BUT. It does save your ass. 18-22 seconds in this video is when I hit lock. And I keep going. It would have been a spin in any other car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENqWoIfIwXs

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Nice run! I would agree, learning on stock angle should help make people, including myself, a better driver. Drifting to me seems like ones relationship with their car, knowing its limitations and exploiting them, plays a major factor.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    I used to feel that way but after having the kit I sorta feel that if I had the capability earlier I could be driving much harder sooner. I mean it still doesn't make up for skill you still have to learn how to fully utilize it but it can totally save your ass in a pinch. Definitely a confidence booster to just chuck it hard and drive like a boss. Its hard to over drive the car now so I can just commit 100% all the time.

My Cars
    s50 e30, e36M, e46M
    Quote Originally Posted by deek10sn View Post
    Thanks for posting the video, and your explanation is much better than my question asking! I see what you mean about being able throw the car, especially in the transitions. Did you ever steer to full lock in the vid, looked like you always had just a little more angle to play with? Very smooth run by the way. Heading to SLRs website...again.

Will the kit have any adverse effects on high speed road courses?

I believe multiple road race guys have set track records since adding the kit. Quicker steering with roll center and bump steer correction will only help.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteachgolf View Post

I believe multiple road race guys have set track records since adding the kit. Quicker steering with roll center and bump steer correction will only help.
    Thanks for the input!!! I saw that they offer a race kit, but wasn't sure if the super angle kit would have any adverse effects at speed (150). And everything I do to the car needs to be safe for both track and drift, a main reason why Frankenstein mods like modded knuckles and e46 arms make me nervous.

My Cars
    s50 e30, e36M, e46M
    Quote Originally Posted by deek10sn View Post
    Thanks for the input!!! I saw that they offer a race kit, but wasn't sure if the super angle kit would have any adverse effects at speed (150). And everything I do to the car needs to be safe for both track and drift, a main reason why Frankenstein mods like modded knuckles and e46 arms make me nervous.
    All the kit does is increase steering angle and correct suspension geometry. Plenty of road race guys run e46 arms as a wider track will only help for various reasons. Bimmerworld sells modified e46 arms which do the same thing Sean's kit does without the benefit of quicker steering. As long as you have alignment correct with proper caster it won't adversely affect anything.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36-wid...arms-p995.aspx

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    ^ they also don't correct bumpsteer, and you have to weld on the RCA piece to your knuckle and they don't have adjustable Ackerman. Sean's kit is a much better deal if you look at it Objectively.

The bimmerworld arms are just a stock arm with a heim in it. Factory weight , seans' arms weigh about half of what even the OEM E46 arms weigh. The race kit he sells has tubular arms that are OEM length. They do not wider tack width. But you get all the benefits of the geometry corrections and the quicker ratio.

My Cars
    s50 e30, e36M, e46M
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    ^ they also don't correct bumpsteer, and you have to weld on the RCA piece to your knuckle and they don't have adjustable Ackerman. Sean's kit is a much better deal if you look at it Objectively.

The bimmerworld arms are just a stock arm with a heim in it. Factory weight , seans' arms weigh about half of what even the OEM E46 arms weigh. The race kit he sells has tubular arms that are OEM length. They do not wider tack width. But you get all the benefits of the geometry corrections and the quicker ratio.

The SLR kit is certainly a better deal and why I bought mine

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Great info guys, now I have been reading all the threads on wheel fitment/offset. I am definitely sold!