I am having this odd problem with my 1993 BMW 325is (E36) sunroof. Whenever I start up the engine for the first time in couple of hours, like before I leave the house in the morning, or driving home, and try to open the sunroof with the switch before moving, it doesn't open. Then, i'll usually pull out of the parking lot and the fist light I come to, Ill stop and it'll open just fine. (I usually only get up to 2500 rpm/ 15-20 mph, so its not like I have to floor it.) Not only that, but when I get to my destination it will close just fine. I'll even turn off the car, pull the key out, lock it, and then get back in, start it up, and it still closes. What is this????
I have taken down the relay that sits adjacent to the sunroof motor, behind the little headliner panel on the roof of the cabin, resoldered all of the connections, and given it a good check to make sure nothing rubs and the coils are fine. Is there another relay I should check? Is there something on the other relay that I just can't fix, meaning I should get a new one?
BTW, I don't think its the comfort relay, unless the control systems for the power windows and sunroof are separate, because they work all the time just fine.