Thread: 540i engine replacement

My Cars
    1998 540i sport

540i engine replacement

My 540i motor died looking to replace it. Can I use any e39 4.4 v8 . I guess what I want to know is, if I get one out of a 2000 7series is it all the same?

My Cars
    z3
    There were a few differences throughout the years regarding things like Vanos and non-Vanos and little changes like that. Make sure whatever engine you get is correct for your exact car. Any similar engine from the era will bolt in, but not all will work properly.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    It will greatly simplify your life if you can get the engine wiring harness along with DME, EWS (EGS if its an Auto).

My Cars
    1998 540i sport
    I found a e39 1998 engine exact replacement for my e39 4.4 it should just plug and play correct me if I am wrong ? Same M62 motor from another 1998 540i. Do I need the DME EWS and EGS since its an auto and mine is an auto trans?

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    No, it should be plug & play, might need to clear adaptations in the DME when you're finished.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Yes, a 1998 M62 should drop into any 1998 with an M62. I am not familiar with what computers/modules you might want to take as well.

With the M62B44, 1996 thru 1998 were the same engine (non vanos) and 1999-2003, the M62B44TU was the same engine with vanos.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    1998 540i sport
    Now i have not looked yet but i am wondering if i should replace the chain tensioner first to see if it works. But correct me if i am wrong , if the chain tensions snapped then the motor is done! Or is their a chance it would be okay. When i turn the car over the crank turns but chains do not. Its an interfieance motor so i am guessing valves were bent etc. One more question if it were you would you rebuild or replace the motor. Thank you guys for all the help much appreciated. Trying to get the car ready for wuste!

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    First things first, even tho you say its from a '98 better check to make sure the replacement motor is non-vanos as a car built after May might have a '98 build date, but it might be a '99, to further compound the issue BMW frequently makes changes in August/September as supplies from the previous model year are used up and as production re-starts. I'm gonna guess if the bottom end is turning and the top end isn't then the motor is pretty much toast. I think its probably cheaper to swap a motor then rebuild yours. I have seen a motor re-done after t-chain guide failure that included rebuilt heads, honed cylinders and new pistons, not cheap as far as parts are concerned, but it was a fellow techs car, so he saved on labor.

My Cars
    1998 540i sport
    Thank you good to know! Does anybody know a good company that can specifically match my car to its new motor. I work for a dealership in Las Vegas although not a BMW dealer I can order via a couple different companies we use and save on the engine. I would pay more for the peace of mind knowing that someone knows when I order it that the new motor will plug and play... Thank you again.