Thread: 25mm spacer with studs (not DRA type)

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8 Roadster

25mm spacer with studs (not DRA type)

Not sure if done before but I can't find conclusive info.

If you are running long enough studs can you use a 25mm spacer?

The reason I ask is because all the spacers of greater than 20mm that I see are the 'DRA' style (which are the ones that bolt to the hub and then use standard length lugs)
    H&R website shows what I mean:
    http://www.hrsprings.com/products/trak/

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    If you have enough stud, you can run whatever spacer you want. Stack them if you'd like. I say 33mm is the max on commonly available 90mm studs (even though 20mm is parroted as the "CYA" max). More than 33mm and you start to run out of threads using a standard depth lug nut.
    Remember, they take no sheering loads once tightened, only tension.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 04-13-2015 at 08:37 PM.

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    Wow, really didn't expect the reply above and I agree completely. Stacking is fine as long as you have thread to go and everything is straight and clean.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8
    Using one good, hub centered spacer is no problem. Stacking them increases potential problems. Bolt stretch, torque loss, weight balance problems, and possible flatness issues, all increase as you go to multiple spacers. I would never stack spacers for any reason. Not worth the risk. But, to each his own.

Mark

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    When you've run 12mm worth of mismatched, stacked, garden variety washers as spacers (forget hub centric, lol) for 8 years on a track vehicle with never an issue, you start to get some perspective as to what is acceptable.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 04-13-2015 at 10:09 PM.

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    If you have enough stud, you can run whatever spacer you want. Stack them if you'd like. I say 33mm is the max on commonly available 90mm studs (even though 20mm is parroted as the "CYA" max). More than 33mm and you start to run out of threads using a standard depth lug nut.
    Remember, they take no sheering loads once tightened, only tension.
    As long as the friction on all of the mounting surfaces is not overcome, this is true. This is why using more spacers is more risky than using fewer. Normally there's only one friction surface between the wheel and the hub, and for every spacer you add, you are adding one surface that needs to maintain its friction in order to make sure that there are no shearing forces on the studs. For this reason, make sure that your mounting surfaces are clear of debris and especially clear of any lubricants. You need that friction, especially the more stretch you've put into your long studs (because if you lose the tension on the studs, then you are going to lose friction, and if you lose friction, you're going to bend and ultimately break the studs and lose a wheel.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Normally there's only one friction surface between the wheel and the hub
    You're forgetting the brake rotor hat.

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    When you've run 12mm worth of mismatched, stacked, garden variety washers as spacers (forget hub centric, lol) for 8 years on a track vehicle with never an issue, you start to get some perspective as to what is acceptable.
    Hahaha that's the stuff. I thought my 52mm of stacked (25+15+12) on each side of the M for a season was risky. I'm certain that's worse. Awesome.