Thread: First time BMW buyer, need basic advice for my z4

My Cars
    Z4

Smile First time BMW buyer, need basic advice for my z4

Hi,

I have just purchased a 2011 manual bmw z4.

I am trying to take good care of the car and want to ensure I am running it correctly and efficiently.

This may seem like a really basic question to many but I want to make sure the way I am starting the engine is correct. The manual for the car is a bit unclear on the correct way to do this.

The way I currently understand to do this is as follows:

Plug the key in, put the foot on the clutch and then press the start button to start the engine. I then keep my foot on the clutch and put it into first gear/ reverse and then push down on the handbreak button.

Can somebody confirm this is the correct way to start the engine? As i have also read that you can put your foot down on the break and then press the start button to start the engine.

Thanks for any help

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    If the car is in gear, you will need to clutch in to start - unless manual cars have changed since my 2003. If your foot is on the brake you can take the e-brake off at any time (again, assuming there's not something funky about the car).

I push in the clutch, keep other foot on the brake, start the car, release the e-brake, put it in gear and go.

I've read on here a number of people leave the car in neutral when they leave the car, I always leave it in gear. If the car is in neutral you should be able to start it w/out putting in the clutch, unless the car requires it...

What year is your z4?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    05 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    If the car is in gear, you will need to clutch in to start - unless manual cars have changed since my 2003. If your foot is on the brake you can take the e-brake off at any time (again, assuming there's not something funky about the car). I push in the clutch, keep other foot on the brake, start the car, release the e-brake, put it in gear and go. I've read on here a number of people leave the car in neutral when they leave the car, I always leave it in gear. If the car is in neutral you should be able to start it w/out putting in the clutch, unless the car requires it... What year is your z4?

I believe most BMWs require the clutch as they have a clutch switch that needs to activated in order to start the car.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    z3
    Every BMW I've driven wouldn't start without the clutch depressed, regardless of if the car is in gear or not.

What you are reading about pushing the brake pedal instead of clutch is most likely for automatic transmission cars.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!