Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swapping Wheels between E38s

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Not to jump in as a random sidebar, but didn't some of the very last of the 2001s have metal sunroofs as they ran out of the glass parts? Or did I just dream this up?

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriabmw27 View Post
    Not to jump in as a random sidebar, but didn't some of the very last of the 2001s have metal sunroofs as they ran out of the glass parts? Or did I just dream this up?
    I'm confused

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    I'm confused
    Here is a past discussion on the topic.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...roof-mod/page3

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Now this is crazy, sounds like BMW just drop metal ones at the end of production from leftovers
    to TS, what is the production month/year on your sticker?

My Cars
    E38
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriabmw27 View Post
    Right on the money. I've seen them on a lot of 750s for some reason. I've seen plenty of '01s with steel sunroofs.
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Now this is crazy, sounds like BMW just drop metal ones at the end of production from leftovers
    to TS, what is the production month/year on your sticker?

I think I read that on the Wikipedia page for the e38. They had leftover metal roofs to use up.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Ok, this is what I found, talk to the guys in Rus forum, this is what they said - for facelifted e38
    all e38's with R6's & V8's, and in Europe short 750i's - who came with regular door-glasses had glass sunroof,
    if customer was ordering double pan glasses then car came with metal sunroof, only if customer didn't ask to get him a glass sunroof (by default double pan's came with metal sunroof)

Only 750iL's by default came with glass sunroof if customer didn't order metal one
    Now this make sense
    Last edited by NordmanMg; 04-02-2015 at 08:37 AM.

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Ok, this is what I found, talk to the guys in Rus forum, this is what they said - for facelifted e38 all e38's with R6's & V8's, and in Europe short 750i's - who came with regular door-glasses had glass sunroof, if customer was ordering double pan glasses then car came with metal sunroof, only if customer didn't ask to get him a glass sunroof (by default double pan's came with metal sunroof) Only 750iL's by default came with glass sunroof if customer didn't order metal one ... Now this make sense
    Glad you were able to make sense of it haha

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleprofessor View Post
    No. I really wanted the 01 Sport and I'm 99% sure I am going to keep it instead of my 00 740iL. There are two things I don't really like about the 01 Sport, it rides A LOT firmer than my 2000 and it is not as quiet. My 00 740iL has the security glass and steel sunroof and evidently they make a HUGE difference in the noise/sound dampening. But, the 01 has the M-Pars which I love AND it has HALF as many miles as the other one and the 01 is really in exceptional condition.
    Why not just swap the glass from a 750 into your sport? Then if it is not as quiet as you would like you could always find a steel roof have it painted to match and install it. Can also swap your shocks/struts from your old 740 to your new one if you like them better.

Just have to do what makes sense to you.

Avenging Angel: 2001 750iL Sport Schwartz II Metallic, too many upgrades to list here..
    Kirsa: 2000 750iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Born on 11/99. Sold 12/21/13

The Mistress: 1997 744iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Sold 6/7/12. You will be missed Baby..

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jimbo View Post
    Why not just swap the glass from a 750 into your sport? Then if it is not as quiet as you would like you could always find a steel roof have it painted to match and install it. Can also swap your shocks/struts from your old 740 to your new one if you like them better.

A fine plan; I happen to be nearby (I think) and have a full set of 750 glass.
    Except because of the wheels, the Sport should not be much firmer unless the shocks are going bad.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jimbo View Post

Wouldnt that only work for the front glass? The rear glass on a 740i sport will be shorter then the glass on an IL due to the door length difference.

My Cars
    02 525i Wagon, 99 740
    Quote Originally Posted by psjr View Post
    A fine plan; I happen to be nearby (I think) and have a full set of 750 glass.
    Except because of the wheels, the Sport should not be much firmer unless the shocks are going bad.
    I did not know that I could put in the 750 glass into my car. That's an interesting idea! I read somewhere that when the sport shocks go bad they get firmer unlike a typical shock. I also wonder if I don't have too much air pressure in the tires. That would make it more firm. The door placard says 29-32 front and 35-39 rear. On all my previous 7 series I have run them a little higher than the door placard suggests for longevity and for fuel mileage. I think I'll check the tires and try 35 up front and 39 in the rear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    Wouldnt that only work for the front glass? The rear glass on a 740i sport will be shorter then the glass on an IL due to the door length difference.
    Mine is an iL. So, the doors are the same size.

My Cars
    02 525i Wagon, 99 740
    I'm pretty sure I figured out one reason my 01 is riding so much firmer than the 00. The tires were very overinflated. The rears had 45.5 and that's cold with temps in the 60's and having been parked for 2 days. The front had 40 psi. So, I would think that would make it ride a little harsh.

I was curious about the stance or ride height. My 00 non sport with 16 inch tires measured 23.5 inches from the top of the bumper trim to the ground. The 01 Sport measured 25.5" I wonder if it's just the larger wheels/tires that accounts for that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12