Thread: BMW 5 and 7 series... What to avoid buying?

My Cars
    1995 Ford F250

BMW 5 and 7 series... What to avoid buying?

Hey guys,

Brand new here! Just started looking into getting an older (~2004) BMW 5 or 7 series, because they are going for around $12k here, which would be my max budget. I love the 7 series, with the rear leg room and the center armrest spaceship battlecruiser controls (pretty sure I'm alone on this, from what I've read... Don't care! ).

I was reading another post to absolutely AVOID the E65/E66 7 series from 2002-2005 because I guess they had a lot of issues? Kinda puts a damper on those hopes and dreams...

So, anyway, brand new to BMWs. Never owned one, never driven one, and know absolutely nothing about common issues throughout the years. With that said. What should I look out for, or avoid all together?

My Cars
    z3
    Don't spend your max budget on a car unless that budget ism't including several thousand set aside for repairs, especially if you are looking at an E60 or E65.

E60's with the 6 cylinders can be ok, but still have a lot of potential for failure.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1995 Ford F250
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Don't spend your max budget on a car unless that budget ism't including several thousand set aside for repairs, especially if you are looking at an E60 or E65.

E60's with the 6 cylinders can be ok, but still have a lot of potential for failure.

It's not, it's just the max I would want to spend on the car itself. I probably won't even be buying a car for another 6 months, so I'm wanting to collect as much information as possible!

My Cars
    E39,W124
    Just don't forget that e65/66 is still a $75K+ car when it comes to repairs.

The Ultimate Driving Машин

My Cars
    1995 Ford F250
    I haven't forgotten. I plan on doing most of the repairs myself, learning along the way. And if I have to take it to a mechanic, that's just fine.

I'm just looking to get a collection of knowledge. Are there any models or model years that would be better for the budget? What has been shown to be the most reliable, the least reliable, etc. Just questions like that!

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    You could start here

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Maybe I will be the first to suggest looking at the e39 5 series and e38 7 series? If you are willing to go for a vehicle that old, they really are wonderful cars. They are easy to work on and have a better reliability/track record then the e60 and e65. Also, with a budget of $12k, you can get yourself into a very nice and good condition e38 or e39. The interiors are dated compared to the e60 and e65, but they are arguably higher quality.

It seems you already have noticed the warnings on owning an e65, some of them also seem to apply to the e60. They certainly are not bad cars, but some of the problems they have can be pretty scary and difficult to DIY.

Good luck in what ever you choose. Ask lots of questions, that is what we are here for!
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    Maybe I will be the first to suggest looking at the e39 5 series and e38 7 series? If you are willing to go for a vehicle that old, they really are wonderful cars. They are easy to work on and have a better reliability/track record then the e60 and e65. Also, with a budget of $12k, you can get yourself into a very nice and good condition e38 or e39. The interiors are dated compared to the e60 and e65, but they are arguably higher quality. It seems you already have noticed the warnings on owning an e65, some of them also seem to apply to the e60. They certainly are not bad cars, but some of the problems they have can be pretty scary and difficult to DIY.Good luck in what ever you choose. Ask lots of questions, that is what we are here for!
    +1...!

Love the E38's!
    One of the iconic 7 series...!
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 04-01-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    E34 E38 E39 E60 E92
    I would echo Pizzaman's sentiments. I have a friend who is a BMW master tech and he has told me that BMW released the E65/66 with over 200 known problems and issues. The '06-'08 models are a bit better because by that time BMW had gotten around to fixing a lot of those issues, but you should absolutely stay away from the '02-'05 models. They are simply money pits which is why you can pick them up for next to nothing now.

They've now become the go-to car for "ballers on a budget" who want to look like they've made it driving a BMW 7-series. Truth be told, they picked it up at a Buy Here/Pay Here for 7-grand and it needs about $30k worth of work. Because as Russo pointed out, when something inevitably does go wrong, it's a repair for a $80-90k car so it won't be cheap.

And to top it all off, it's without question one of the ugliest cars BMW ever produced with the initial version of idrive which sucked big-time.

Bottom line: stay away from the pre-facelift E65/66 unless you are a masochist.

1993 525i; 1997 750iL; 2003 540i M-Sport; 2006 550i w/ Sport Package (Garage Queen); 2007 335i w/ Sport Package (Garage Queen)

My Cars
    z3
    As someone who owned an E65, I think they get a bad rap. They do have some problems, but I can't think of a BMW that doesn't. The idea that they are a "ticking time bomb" is something made up. Driving an E65 is like piloting a cloud, it's by far the most comfortable car I've ever driven, as far as the driving luxury experience it is hands and feet above the E38. The E38 is a good car, but for someone who wants an E65, I don't think an E38 will do. E38s are a lot more old school, the E65 interior is very nice and on a different level. It's about the interior anyways so who cares if the prefacelift aren't the best looking...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E34 E38 E39 E60 E92
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    As someone who owned an E65, I think they get a bad rap. They do have some problems, but I can't think of a BMW that doesn't. The idea that they are a "ticking time bomb" is something made up. Driving an E65 is like piloting a cloud, it's by far the most comfortable car I've ever driven, as far as the driving luxury experience it is hands and feet above the E38. The E38 is a good car, but for someone who wants an E65, I don't think an E38 will do. E38s are a lot more old school, the E65 interior is very nice and on a different level. It's about the interior anyways so who cares if the prefacelift aren't the best looking...
    I have to disagree with you, BB. It's not made up, it's fact. You may have got hold of one that had many of its issues ironed out, but ask any BMW technician who worked on these cars when they were still under warranty (or even now) and they'll tell you the same thing: The '02-'05 E65/66 is rotten to its core. In addition to my friend, who has 25+ years of experience at BMW, I've seen multiple BMW techs post on these very boards about what a disaster the E65/66 can be.

And if that's not proof enough, look at what the marketplace is saying. I just did a quick check on Autotrader.com and found over a dozen '02-'04 E65s within a 500 mile radius of me selling between $7k-$10k, or roughly about the same as what an equivalent year E46 coupe goes for.

You may personally like the E65/66 and have bias due to your prior ownership, but the fact of the matter is that those cars, from a quality control and design perspective, were one of the worst models BMW ever produced.

1993 525i; 1997 750iL; 2003 540i M-Sport; 2006 550i w/ Sport Package (Garage Queen); 2007 335i w/ Sport Package (Garage Queen)

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator325525 View Post
    I have to disagree with you, BB. It's not made up, it's fact. You may have got hold of one that had many of its issues ironed out, but ask any BMW technician who worked on these cars when they were still under warranty (or even now) and they'll tell you the same thing: The '02-'05 E65/66 is rotten to its core. In addition to my friend, who has 25+ years of experience at BMW, I've seen multiple BMW techs post on these very boards about what a disaster the E65/66 can be.
    The BMW tech at my local dealer has said nearly the same thing to me. The 02-05 E65/66s according to him are the most problematic of the 7 series he sees at the dealer. However, he did say that the 06-08 750s are the least problematic of the 7s he sees at the dealer. I don't know how much experience he has but he is the only one to have worked on my parents e38 at the dealer since 01, I do trust his judgement on the topic.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    6BT, 3VZE
    5 series - nothing newer than 2003
    7 series - nothing newer than 2001