Thread: It's now a crisis. I need a new top. What do I need to know?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L

It's now a crisis. I need a new top. What do I need to know?

97 1.9L Z3

Cleveland Ohio

I would consider driving to Pittsburgh, Youngstown, Cincinnati, Columbus, Detroit, Chicago, or Toledo to get this done properly.

I am not interested in spending a sizable portion of this cars value to accomplish this task however.

The quotes I hold are for $1700 and $3100 respectively and both seem obsurd to me.

Any recommendations or advice?

Bill

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Buy the top yourself. Buy a GAHH or Hartz top, both can be found on eBay and include the rear window. They are $300-500. Call local upolstery shops and ask the cost to install it, should be around $500.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    I'm always astonished at how expensive these seem to be in the USA. Over here, I'd be very disappointed to pay more than the equivalent of about $500 dollars supplied and fitted. The new roof for my gf's MX5 (Miata) was £280 supplied and fitted ($415) and that's for a proper mohair roof (not the cheap vinyl that it had originally).

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    A few years ago I priced out a replacement top and prices ranged from $250.00 to around $500. I had a local shop here in NC quote me $600.00 labor for install. There are lots of good write-ups on how to install yourself which is what I plan to do sometime this summer.

Here is a link to a thread about DIY install that I saved for future reference... http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...op-replacement
    Last edited by ashevillez3; 03-30-2015 at 04:28 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Having replaced my top myself last year, let me recommend going with a Robbins Top. (I did not )
    If another OEM BMW top is out of the question (it is for most), Robbins is the next best option for quality.
    Z3M Racer '99 M Roadster

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Robbins tops are pretty much like the factory tops, save for the zip in window. The quality is phenomenal. Installed their most expensive version into my Z3 (some $450), taking 2 days to do it right. It's not an easy job to replace the top onto the frame.
    Now if you buy the whole top from the dealer, with frame (that's what makes it expensive!), then it's a much easier install.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R

Robbins the way to go.$500.00 for their top line.I did it myself 4 out of 10 on difficulty.Do your research,you posted here so your on the right track!Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8
    I replaced my top shortly after I got my roadie. Used a Robbins which I ordered online. Pretty sure it was less than $500 and looks great. I called 3 local upholsterers and each quoted 7 hours at $70/hr for the job. After watching video on you tube, seemed do-able at home. I ordered a DVD where a pro walks thru an actual install ($15 I think). I went slow (two full days), and it wasn't a problem. I figured if I got stuck, I could take it half-done to an upholsterers and they'd bail me out. Good luck with whatever you do, but don't go with the quotes you got!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Just for repetition's sake (saves more threads)

I'll leave this link here http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/str/str.html

It's the best.

If you don't replace the elastic straps on the frame, you can replace the rubber banding on them for a refresh. That's why mine took long. Amazon for the rubber banding, and a sewing machine (and learning how to use it).
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Just for repetition's sake (saves more threads)

I'll leave this link here http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/str/str.html

It's the best.

If you don't replace the elastic straps on the frame, you can replace the rubber banding on them for a refresh. That's why mine took long. Amazon for the rubber banding, and a sewing machine (and learning how to use it).

Saved as a .pdf for future reference.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    I have a black canvas softtop with frame I'm willing to let go for $600. Pick up only. You'd need to take it in the back of a pickup or SUV and install it at home though--I don't want anyone camping out in my backyard.

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    $600 is above the going price for a worn top and frame assembly, but is reasonable if the top, window and rubber seals are all in good condition. Especially if it's a later top with a liner in good condition.

$250-$300 seems to be the going rate for an older frame with a worn-out top, useless window and still usable rubber pieces.

It's really nice to have a second frame to install a new top onto at lesiure, then just swap the whole assembly when you can get a helper for an hour. Every little piece seems to be $20-$50, so there is a big variation in value of a specific used frame to a specific buyer.
    Last edited by djb2; 03-31-2015 at 05:32 PM.

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    The "baby" z (96 1.9), needed a new top, bought one a couple of months ago never got around to it until tonight. Took me 2 hours to take it apart. I see another 2-3 hours to put it back on. One of the less stressful times i had working on the car, i guess its because im not on my back. Completely easy so far.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L
    Thank you to all who have responded.

I called approximately 20 installers within an hour drive of here from various online sources.

I learned a few things. Robbins appears to have been absorbed by GAHH. Auto tops direct appears to be a good product but it also appears to be less OEM like than the GAHH piece (the material may not be HARTS produced and the window may not have the factory like slight green tint to it... It's difficult to tell frankly).

Finding an installer to work with them was also proving to be difficult. This was likely due in part to the inability of any installer to mark up a top they did not acquire and not a dig on their product. Less than half of the people I spoke to would deal with a top they did not supply.

In the end I decided to go with the Robbins top (GAHH) even though the clear front runner installer in this area was prepared to allow me to get my own. For slightly under $200 more for the top I decided to let the experts do what they would prefer to do and supply the top. Sure they will profit slightly but they appear to be true craftsmen and they were repeatedly recommended. That coupled with their willingness to stand behind the product they appear to know well and not just the work on an unknown item made me pull the trigger. In the end 200 bucks is almost a rounding error on this little 18 year old car anyway...

It's going in tomorrow. Clover Auto of Eastlake Ohio. $1300 out the door. That equates to about $650 to install the top and $650 for the part with taxes.

I will report back when it's complete and I expect it to be flawless after visiting their shop. My car will be the least expensive thing on their floor - in some cases by 100 grand - and they have been in the business according to dealer sources for 30 Years.

It felt like a no brainer. We shall see. Keep your fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Bill

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I always feel it's in your favor to let the installer (of any component) supply the part; if there are any issues, then they own the whole job, and can't point fingers at an inferior part.

I mean, how many of you take your raw eggs and bacon into a restaurant?

People bring parts to me all the time, and though I don't like it, I will still install them. I do make it clear that I won't stand behind any product that I didn't supply though.

I try to keep my hourly rate low (as much as half the norm, I've been told) because I can pick up little bit on the parts, so that does sour the job when it happens.

You made a best choice decision, the shop installing your top should view you as an ideal customer, and if there are any fitment issues with the top, they have their golden reputation to protect. I'm sure you'll be fine.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    If we had a comprehensive menu of parts you had in stock it would make things easier.

I am scrambling to make sure I have everything you need. Never occurred to me that you stocked stuff.

The only thing you seem to have too much of is M Coupes and M Roadsters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 97Z3WCE View Post
    Any recommendations or advice?
    Yes, buy a hard top and never worry about it again.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3
    Getting very serious about getting the top replaced, haven't decided if I will do it myself or get it done by a shop.
    Local canvas shop has quoted me about $1100 and 2 days for installing a GAHH top. Not a bad deal I think.
    Question, with aftermarket tops, do the rear windows tend last as long as the OEM plastic window.
    Perhaps even ore important, how do you replace the window in an aftermarket top?
    Thanks, Rudy

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Aftermarket tops have the window sewn in. It would need to be cut out and a replacement (if available) sewn back in.

I was extremely careful with my OE window when I replaced my top, and it still fell apart after ~5 years. That was always using a window blanket and having a soft towel inside the top well to protect the inside of the window. It helped prevent scratches, but the surrounding trim still came off.