eBMWParts

Thread: So I guess I need coilovers...

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

Post So I guess I need coilovers...

Just picked up a set of Apex wheels, 17x9.5 +35.

I'm running Toyo R888s on them, 275/40/17.

I have Bilstein struts and H&R springs.

I'm running the Hard Motorsport V2 fender flares.

I have +10 and +15mm spacers at my disposal.

I put the wheels and tires on and lowered the car. The rears seem to fit fine with no spacers at all.

Unfortunately, for the front tires rub the spring seat on the Bilsteins, unless I stack both of my spacers (totaling 25mm), effectively making it +10 offset. But at +10, the tires not only stick out past the fender flares, but they actually touch. The -3.7* of camber I'm running up front doesn't help enough, apparently.

So anyway, short of changing out my tire setup (which is brand new), the only way I can think to fix this would be to get a coilover setup that has thinner springs than OEM. Then, I could hopefully get away with maybe a 10mm spacer up front and clear both the fender and the coilover.

Anyone have any input on this?

I'm not looking to break the bank here, but I want to pick up a decent set of coilovers. My absolute limit would be $1500 shipped. I also assume I'm going to need to pick up some different hardware for my Vorschlag camber plates.

- - - Updated - - -

So assuming that coilovers are the solution, here are my needs:

-Less than $1500 shipped
    -Thin springs so wheels will clear
    -Good performance
    -Good reliability
    -Adjustable ride height
    -Will be primarily used for track and auto-x. That being said, comfort is still a factor.

Here's what I've found so far:

Variant 1 Coilover Kit; Height adjustable front/rear axles 10220012

ISC N1 Coilover Suspension Package

Koni based coilovers - are these adjustable height?

Ground Control?

ST Suspension Coilover Kit - Part #: 90212 - I read somewhere that these are kind of like the KW V1s?

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard good things about Ground Control as well.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Bump

My Cars
    '91 325i
    ST and V1 are identical aside from a stainless body on the KW and a steel body on the ST. Both ride super awesome and have fairly soft spring rates, about 300 front and progressive rear (first 1" is 300), all of these I personally measured. If you plan to be competitive at track events and have an awesome set of coilovers, I would save up and spend the $2600 on a set of MCS single adjustable, they really are super awesome. People that ride with me at the track are always amazed and how well they absorb everything.
    Without spending much at all, you can get the GC front coilover "conversion," where you trim the factory spring perch and slide a threaded sleeve over the shock body. This allows you to run a 2.5" spring I believe, maybe even a 60mm.
    Harrison Motorsports
    Motion Control Suspension
    Daytona M3

My Cars
    1995 325is
    Fortune Auto 500 series
    http://www.fortune-auto.com/
    I already ordered mine about 3 weeks ago. They are built to order so they take about a month.
    Got my 500 series with swift springs. also told them to go a little more aggressive on the valving.
    10/12k spring rates.

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Look at ISC coilovers on our site, if you have not bought anything yet. We have sold a large amount with zero issues. Street/track rates are 8k/10k, track 10k/12k. Typically we order the track kits and ISC then builds them. I have them on my E46 touring and abuse curbing with no issues yet.

$986.00 plus shipping
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I ended up going with the KW V1s. Softer spring rates than I wanted, but they were readily availaible and well priced.

My Cars
    1995 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by circuiticon View Post
    I ended up going with the KW V1s. Softer spring rates than I wanted, but they were readily availaible and well priced.
    What are the spring rates? And are they already installed? That was quick! nice!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster
    On the other car I had I did short struts and used Ground Control sleeve over coil overs. I was pleased with the ride. They use Eibach springs.
    Last edited by Migou; 04-13-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    KW and ST Coilovers are wonderful. Good choice on the KW V1's. Would love to see how the car sits. Have any pictures?

-Luccia
    Last edited by Pelican Parts; 04-14-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    KW's are solid. Any reason you went with them over the ST coilovers? Obviously the KW are better but from what I'm told they are almost the same.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I think OP chose them due to NJ winters. Salt and slush = corrosion, so he went with stainless instead of steel body. Am I correct Circuiticon?