Thread: What’s keeping you from using wheel locks?

My Cars
    e30 M3, 335d

Lightbulb What’s keeping you from using wheel locks?

Am I the only one that feels current wheel lock offerings for many aftermarket BMW applications are missing key features? Below are the issues I’ve spotted that are holding back many members plus myself from installing them.

What features/needs would have to be met before you’d buy wheel locks for your BMW?

OEM sized locks are readily available in many finishes, but if you look at all the offerings available in the market for the below applications there are only compromised solutions.

Applications that currently have very poor choices:
    • Cars that use spacers of any size
    • Cars with stud kits (M12 or M14)
    • Aftermarket wheels that need smaller tuner bolts
    • Anyone that wants a more secure design (i.e. more secure key pattern... not just something you can hammer a socket over)
    • Anyone that doesn’t want chrome or silver finishes in combination with any of the above

Current options for above applications
    • Available extended length locks come in an unattractive silver finish, not in black, along with a primitive security design.
    • All locks on the market come in sets of 4. Most members who use spacers would need two different lengths, resulting in the need for 2 full kits (8 locks purchased) to complete an install.
    • Only available M12, open-ended, locking nuts that work with studs come in a chrome finish
    • No real option for M14 studs that need open ended locks
    • Tuner nuts are not really locking (1 basic socket removes all nuts from that brand, or a regular socket can be made to work)
    • Most locks including OEM locks have a low security design (only 1 or a few key patterns, standard socket can again be forced on to remove lock).

Full disclosure: We’re working with the OEM wheel lock/hardware supplier for brands like Porsche, Lotus, Audi, VW, Bentley, Maserati… to develop a solution that fills these voids in the BMW aftermarket. We’d like your help to confirm what’s been missing.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy@ApexRaceParts View Post
    What’s keeping you from using wheel locks?
    Necessity.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    I'd like some black locking bolts for my 95mm studs

Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Necessity.
    Locking bolts are a necessity on a lot of cars with expensive (particularly aftermarket) wheels...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Most people don't care about locking wheel nuts or bolts until they need them.

Besides, they end up being a hassle. Plenty of used cars sold at an auction don't come with a wheel lock tool. Imagine the frustration the first time you have a flat in a "new" used car but can't change the spare.

Also, if somebody never had an issue with stolen wheels, then they won't likely consider it, even with upgraded wheels.

There are exceptions to this rule, but most owners who can afford expensive wheels on their expensive cars usually live and work in a secure area, negating the need for a wheel locks.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    Hate wheel locks, and won't ever own them again.

Story 1. New M3 gets flat tire sitting at work. Spend the better part of 3 hours trying to get the damn thing off making multiple trips to the tire barn down the street to find the correct key. Ended up being just able to hammer a socket over it and getting it off anyway.

Story 2. Was trying to a wheel off a VW in a junkyard (VWs seem to come standard with a lock). Went to the dealer got 3 different sets of their 12pc wheel lock sets (36 different ones) of their kits VW certified parts still nothing. I had the exact same car and mine didn't work either.

I also don't park outside overnight, live in a good area where my 99 M3 won't draw much attention, and have insurance. As for the VW which does get parked outside overnight when I'm away, if you could find a way to lock the mirrors on it so someone doesn't knock it off that would be great.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Locking bolts are a necessity on a lot of cars with expensive (particularly aftermarket) wheels...
    Really?

The question was, what's keeping YOU from getting them. Not what's keeping ANYONE.

I have no need. Read that again, I am writing about ME, MYSELF. That is all! If you or anyone else NEEDS them, by all means get them.

This crap is getting a little old.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Installing wheel locks where I live would be a waste of money. I have no need for them.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    '87 e24
    I, personally, don't see the need. I had a set, the whole car got stolen

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Really?

The question was, what's keeping YOU from getting them. Not what's keeping ANYONE.

I have no need. Read that again, I am writing about ME, MYSELF. That is all! If you or anyone else NEEDS them, by all means get them.

This crap is getting a little old.
    Calm down bubba

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Is it possible to have five different wheel locks per wheel? That would be fun, no?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Is it possible to have five different wheel locks per wheel? That would be fun, no?
    I've had a car where all 20 lugs were locking lugs... the same, mind you, but still

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    I use a set but it's just to keep the wannabee thug thiefs away. A smart "professional" can get your wheels even if you have five sets of locks in less than 5 min. -- So to answer your question there is no set of locks fool proof.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    I have them on my front wheels because they came with spacers. I have no need for them but I have been too lazy to get rid of them.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    No need for them

My Cars
    01 325xiT,03 M3C,81 320
    One of my recently purchased vehicles came with them. What a pain in my ass. Just ordered new lugs to replace them. No need for them.

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    I don't need them where I live, my car goes from my garage to the parking garage at work. Plus if someone jacked my rims it would be the excuse I need to get new ones.

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    95 M3, Euro M6, 74 2002
    I had wheels locks once but stopped using them, not because of available applications, size, or aesthetic finish...it was because they broke. I am not sure what the current wheel locks have to offer and my experience with them was over 10 years ago so please keep that in mind.

The first time was at a tire shop where they broke the stud and it took them a while to extract it. Second time I broke a stud and it took me a while to extract it. The last time I broke the key broke and I had to extract the last two studs. While the locks were in use, I did not have any problem dealing with them. I always kept the key in the glove box and the receiving end was the same size as the last 4 studs for each wheel. I would absolutely consider having them again with two main factors in mind, durability and price.

Again, I'm not sure what modern locks have to offer and the problems I had with them may be a thing of the past OR they were just a cheap low quality set I had. If durability has been greatly improved for the studs and key I would like to get another set.