Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No More BMWs for Me...Ever!

My Cars
    88M5 95M3x2 72'02 08 550
    >>>>Wow. Clearly a lot of BMW fanboys here.<<<<

Really? Why would there be anybody on Bimmerforums who is a BMW fan?

Listen, everyone here agrees with you. BMWs are pieces of crap. My 1972 2002 needs the oil changed all the time. And the rubber window seals crack and need to be replaced after a mere 43 years. And those Solex carbs barely last 40-50 years. I feel your pain.

Junk, I tell ya, Junk.

Last edited by rvnmaniak; 03-17-2015 at 08:36 PM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by rvnmaniak View Post
    >>>>Wow. Clearly a lot of BMW fanboys here.<<<<

Really? Why would there be anybody on Bimmerforums who is a BMW fan?

Listen, everyone here agrees with you. BMWs are pieces of crap. My 1972 2002 needs the oil changed all the time. And the rubber window seals crack and need to be replaced after a mere 43 years. And those Solex carbs barely last 40-50 years. I feel your pain.

Junk, I tell ya, Junk.

Crap is right, my 533 broke a tranny mount after only 172 autocrosses, with power shifts., and then it needed refueling.

My Cars
    old schiesse
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    Crap is right, my 533 broke a tranny mount after only 172 autocrosses, with power shifts., and then it needed refueling.
    172 autocrosses on the same tank??? E12 or E28

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    This thread =
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan

The real embarrassment is that car made it 40-50 years without someone installing a Weber or two. For shame.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    95//M3- 01 Chevy 2500 HD
    @op

You compare maintenance issues between previous vehicles and your 330 over a length of time. I wonder what the mileage differences were between all of these cars. Also, what was your daily commute like in these vehicles? IE did your 330's cooling system have issues after 5yrs and 100k miles and the other car had similar issues after 10 yrs but the same mileage? Were all of the vehicles being compared daily drivers? Stored inside? Outside? Winter driven? Many factors to take into account here.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    AFE 3.5" intake, 3.5" Euro HFM, 24# Injectors, TMS Chip, TMS Pulleys, TMS Shorty Headers, AA Track Pipe, Borla Catback, Billstein Sport Shocks, H&R Springs, TMS Adjustable trailing arms, X-Brace, TMS Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces, UUC Evo III SSK, UUC Shift Nob, DSSR selector rod, Fan delete.....

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    This thread delivers.

My Cars
    old schiesse
    I'm gonna try to give you some serious responses... lets see how this turns out.

You state you've had a VW and a Toyota for 10+ years each, but you've had this E46 for 12 years already. By my vague math you had an early 90's VW/Toyota, which was preceded by a late 70s/early 80s VW/Toyota (you didn't specify the order of what came when). Are you seriously comparing the maintenance costs of three cars from different decades and technologies? The reason the stuff on the BMW wore out was it was designed to last a certain period of time (70-100k) and then need to be replaced. All of these things happened because they had to keep costs down to compete with the other cheaper luxury cars. Go look up maintenance costs on a 2003 Lexus and see what you would be in for. So far your comparisons have not been equal in any terms.

Second, you live in New Jersey. I guarantee there is a decent mechanic near you that won't cost you anywhere close to the dealer prices. (Side note: BMW NA markup is generally about 40%, not 200 like you think. Some parts are just expensive). In order to help you find the help you apparently need in your area I will provide you with this link that will allow you to find an independent mechanic: http://www.bimmershops.com/search?q=Somerset%2C+NJ

Honestly, go lease a car next time. You will be much happier

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    1. Typically the higher price you pay for a car also means you will pay more to maintain it in general.
    2. Please show me a base model Toyota or VW and base model bimmer, auto cross or drag, what's going to win the fight?
    3. Good, get the hell out of BMW, one less a-hole to deal with on the road, and one less person to buy a neglected car from
    Bmw is an enthusiasts' car. I've had my e36 for 8 years, I've over hauled cooling, suspension, and clutch, for a 19 year old car that sold for mid $30k, I'm ok with that. I have also learned a lot about wrenching on it and did most the work myself.
    So why stick with it? Don't, do us all a favor...

My Cars
    1996 318IS
    Unfortunately the bigger percentage buys BMW's because they think they're a status symbol.
    Clearly this isn't the place to rant to those with mechanical knowledge. You'll only get out of your car what you're willing to put in.

But I can guarantee if you ordered your parts online and studied YouTube DIY's/Bentley manual, you'd have an ultimate driving machine.

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by webwiz View Post
    Wow. Clearly a lot of BMW fanboys here. Also people lucky enough to do their own repairs and/or have some good independent mechanics in the area. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to trust myself with something like brake work, despite how easy it might be. And although I've looked, I haven't found anyone within a reasonable distance who feels capable of working on my car. I've gone to a local shop for some basic things, but have been told by them that certain things are better done at the dealer. Don't know why they'd turn away work like that, but I have to assume there's a reason. There's also the issue of OEM or at least OEM-compatible parts. Some shops told me I can't supply the parts myself; they have to buy them and mark them up.

It's great that you guys have had better luck with your cars than I have. I don't drive it hard and I don't neglect it. But stuff still happens. Sure, brake pads and such are normal, expected repairs. I totally get that. And I never said my other cars had no repair issues. Some people are taking my comparison to an unrealistic extreme I didn't even hint at.

I've had many computers over the past decades - Windows PCs and laptops, as well as Apples. You pay a premium to buy an Apple, just like you pay a premium for a BMW over, say, a Toyota. With the Apples, you're buying better engineering, better built quality, better longevity, and better value retention. And you know what? I've had much less trouble with Apples than with the lower-priced (but functional equivalent) PCs. I would not be surprised when my Windows machines needed a repair or upgrade 12 months after purchase (I'm a heavy user). But if that happened to an Apple, I would not be a happy camper.

I am not making an equivalence between my Toyota and my BMW. I paid almost twice as much for the Bimmer. But over their lifetimes, I probably paid four times as much for repairs for the BMW as I did for the Toyota. More stuff broke, and broker earlier, on the BMW than on the Toyota. If they were in the same class of vehicle, I would be somewhat upset. Since the BMW is supposed to be *better* (aren't German engineers and designers better than their Japanese counterparts?) the cost differential and frequency of repairs is what has me peeved. If Apples broke as often as Windows PCs, I think a lot of people would stop buying them.

I am realizing that I'm venting in a forum for an elite class of BMW owners, namely the ones who care enough to participate. I'd guess that 90% of owners aren't even aware there are forums like this. So almost by definition the people here are going to be DIY'ers, enthusiasts, fanboys (I mean that in the kindest sense), and others who *generally* are not going to find fault with the manufacturer.

I'm not a "disgruntled" owner as a previous poster said. I'm just disappointed. I had higher expectations from BMW, both the car itself and the way I'd be treated at the dealership. I never said my car was a "piece of" anything. I like my car. It's fun to drive. It looks sweet. I feel safer in it than in any other car I've been in. I just wish its long-term quality had held up better.

I will probably do a private sale in the next month or so. I'll disclose the known problems and try to get fair market value for the car. I'm sure some local fanboy will be thrilled to get it, work on it, enhance it, and drive it another 100,000 miles.
    Dude, look harder. You have one of the best BMW shops in NJ less than 30 min from you. I would usually tell you the name but I have a good relationship with these guys and I don't need them knowing I referred someone like you to them and give them a bunch of headaches

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S
    This thread makes me sooooo want to go out and buy a BMW.

My Cars
    95m3, 95 325-m52 &97 328
    Honestly I feel like i spend alot of money on my m3... But in reality only spending about 1,200 to completely rebuild the rear end .... But the car will feel amazing and it's totally worth it. If you just read that and think I'm crazy, then an old BMW is not for you. Get a newish 2009 2010 rav4 and just drive it. BTW; VW's have sooo many electrical problems I would never buy one just for that.
    Daytona Violet M3
    2005 X5 3.0i ​ - Daily
    It asks you what happens now?
    I say it to you
    Time to say goodbye ..
    The body was scrapped ... - bmwmauro

My Cars
    01 325xiT,03 M3C,81 320
    Have Bmw because ultimate driving machine...not ultimate reliability machine. It breaks, I fix. I love the practicality of it and the driving experience. Do I pay more and deal with a headache here and there that i *might* not with another brand? Maybe...no care.

My Cars
    05 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by foolio2 View Post
    Have Bmw because ultimate driving machine...not ultimate reliability machine. It breaks, I fix. I love the practicality of it and the driving experience. Do I pay more and deal with a headache here and there that i *might* not with another brand? Maybe...no care.
    Not everyone knows this but they should to prevent threads like these. Old BMW if they are old as a 2002tii or as new as an E46 there is homework to be done before buying. BMWs tend to have a little more consumable parts but most should be the same as any other car like Oil, tires, brakes, and filters. If something other than hide break like a window regulator or lock actuator. You basically just gotta be mad for a second and yell stupid car and then order the part or get it fixed. And be done. Not start ranting on a forum with BMW enthusiast. Do you homework and that won't fix the problems, it'll prevent unknowns.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    88M5 95M3x2 72'02 08 550
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    The real embarrassment is that car made it 40-50 years without someone installing a Weber or two. For shame.
    The car is bone stock. Down to the steelies and the radio. No Webers or panasports or JVC head units. Looks like I drove it off the dealer's lot.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by Imolarot2 View Post
    172 autocrosses on the same tank??? E12 or E28
    83 E28, the most bulletproof car I've ever seen, it seemed to love being flogged.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    This thread delivers.

Aye. It delivers indeed.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    The car is bone stock. Down to the steelies and the radio. No Webers or panasports or JVC head units. Looks like I drove it off the dealer's lot.
    Horses for courses I guess. You could always keep the steel wheels and the crappy carburetor somewhere, put on E21 Alpina-style wheels and a 32/36 Weber, have more fun, then put it back when you sell if the buyer wants 100% original.

Either way, 2002s rock!
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    old schiesse
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Aye. It delivers indeed.
    Did you seriously just respond to yourself?

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    z3
    I was thinking the same

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F10 530d & E34 520I
    I have owned many cars and BMW has always been the most reliable of them. Audi is the worst crap I've had, they broke down all the time and cost a lot of money to repair. My 21 year old E34 5-series who has done over 270 000 runs great. I have changed brakes, valve tappets and thermostat..thats it! I also have a 4 year old F10 5 Series, fantastic quality car that runs fantastic. I'm not so handy my self, so I have found a small local garage whit good knowledge of BMWs. They are cheap and fast. BMW maindealer I use only for the F10, since it is still a new car.

Buy yourself a Toyota..

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I was thinking the same
    Why not? I see an option to reply back to myself, so ......

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    Quote Originally Posted by webwiz View Post
    Wow. Clearly a lot of BMW fanboys here. Also people lucky enough to do their own repairs and/or have some good independent mechanics in the area. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to trust myself with something like brake work, despite how easy it might be. And although I've looked, I haven't found anyone within a reasonable distance who feels capable of working on my car. I've gone to a local shop for some basic things, but have been told by them that certain things are better done at the dealer. Don't know why they'd turn away work like that, but I have to assume there's a reason. There's also the issue of OEM or at least OEM-compatible parts. Some shops told me I can't supply the parts myself; they have to buy them and mark them up.

It's great that you guys have had better luck with your cars than I have. I don't drive it hard and I don't neglect it. But stuff still happens. Sure, brake pads and such are normal, expected repairs. I totally get that. And I never said my other cars had no repair issues. Some people are taking my comparison to an unrealistic extreme I didn't even hint at.

I've had many computers over the past decades - Windows PCs and laptops, as well as Apples. You pay a premium to buy an Apple, just like you pay a premium for a BMW over, say, a Toyota. With the Apples, you're buying better engineering, better built quality, better longevity, and better value retention. And you know what? I've had much less trouble with Apples than with the lower-priced (but functional equivalent) PCs. I would not be surprised when my Windows machines needed a repair or upgrade 12 months after purchase (I'm a heavy user). But if that happened to an Apple, I would not be a happy camper.

I am not making an equivalence between my Toyota and my BMW. I paid almost twice as much for the Bimmer. But over their lifetimes, I probably paid four times as much for repairs for the BMW as I did for the Toyota. More stuff broke, and broker earlier, on the BMW than on the Toyota. If they were in the same class of vehicle, I would be somewhat upset. Since the BMW is supposed to be *better* (aren't German engineers and designers better than their Japanese counterparts?) the cost differential and frequency of repairs is what has me peeved. If Apples broke as often as Windows PCs, I think a lot of people would stop buying them.

I am realizing that I'm venting in a forum for an elite class of BMW owners, namely the ones who care enough to participate. I'd guess that 90% of owners aren't even aware there are forums like this. So almost by definition the people here are going to be DIY'ers, enthusiasts, fanboys (I mean that in the kindest sense), and others who *generally* are not going to find fault with the manufacturer.

I'm not a "disgruntled" owner as a previous poster said. I'm just disappointed. I had higher expectations from BMW, both the car itself and the way I'd be treated at the dealership. I never said my car was a "piece of" anything. I like my car. It's fun to drive. It looks sweet. I feel safer in it than in any other car I've been in. I just wish its long-term quality had held up better.

I will probably do a private sale in the next month or so. I'll disclose the known problems and try to get fair market value for the car. I'm sure some local fanboy will be thrilled to get it, work on it, enhance it, and drive it another 100,000 miles.
    Ya THINK?!?! Please after you sell your e46 to a guy that will appreciate it cancel your membership here. Why post how sick you are and how much you hate BMW's on a BMW fansite and then try and defend everything you said, while in the meantime being a complete pu$$y and backing down from all your original statements like you "misspoke". Come on man if you want to thrash BM's then stick to your guns. We get it. You werent born to get behind things. You must be an only child and your parents cut your car budget. You make us all look better by not driving a BMW(and I mean that in the kindest sense).
    Really being a BMW owner isnt for the faint of heart. Enjoy your Prius, I recommend a model 3 with the Nav and Solar Roof package. The sun will help your orange hair get blonder, also there is 0% for 60 months. I remember when my cousin questioned his sexuality, he did the EXACT same thing.
    Petrosexual> Metrosexual
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------Like the late Bill Paxton says repeatedly in Twister "I'm Not Back"---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    05 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 1gr8e39 View Post
    Ya THINK?!?! Please after you sell your e46 to a guy that will appreciate it cancel your membership here. Why post how sick you are and how much you hate BMW's on a BMW fansite and then try and defend everything you said, while in the meantime being a complete pu$$y and backing down from all your original statements like you "misspoke". Come on man if you want to thrash BM's then stick to your guns. We get it. You werent born to get behind things. You must be an only child and your parents cut your car budget. You make us all look better by not driving a BMW(and I mean that in the kindest sense). Really being a BMW owner isnt for the faint of heart. Enjoy your Prius, I recommend a model 3 with the Nav and Solar Roof package. The sun will help your orange hair get blonder, also there is 0% for 60 months. I remember when my cousin questioned his sexuality, he did the EXACT same thing. Petrosexual> Metrosexual
    and

OP, I'll take it of your hands if you really hate BMWs. I will make sure it's well taken care of for you.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast