Thread: No GUTS WHAT HAPPENED? 2000 323ci e46

My Cars
    2000 323CI

No GUTS WHAT HAPPENED? 2000 323ci e46

Hello again everyone
    Lets start with the codes: http://postimg.org/image/499cfxiul/
    OK, here is what I am dealing with.
    I just shipped my car from Florida Via open transporter where it was running like a TOP even up to the last second when it was loaded on the truck! Once it got to California and I had a second to drive it, it had NO POWER at all GUT LESS!!!! It idles perfectly, once it takes off and the RPMS pick up it will start moving, but again nothing like it did in Florida.

When I had the oil changed in Florida the check engine light was on and when it was on the computer to reset the oil light my mechanic told me that a code came up indicating that the Mass Air Flow Sensor was defective. He advised me that it needed to be replaced and I just did that today 3/15/2015 in hopes that this might be why it lost so much torque from the low end, but that was not the case.

The very first day I drove it here in California I was on the freeway and it stalled and would not start. I thought is was locked up because it wouldnt even turn over. It just clicked like the started wanted to turn over but the crank wouldn't move so I freaked out! Had it towed to am shop in Costa Mesa called Precision Motors Independent BMW. Avoid this place at all costs!!!!!

They got it running again !! Here's what they had to say,"It's the VANOS" pay me 2500.00 and we can replace it!????? WTF? So I asked them what if I got the part? They replied" We can do the labor for"$1200.00 oh I mean $1500.00? To me that was the sign that I need to find someone else to do the work!!

This is from my original posting:
    I can hear a little ticking sound when idling that sounds like the Valves, car drives really sh**ting and lack of power. It idles at around 700 rpms or so as it always has and once it gets going it will move, but it's dead out of the gate.

Used the
    PA Soft 1.4and pulled the following code http://postimg.org/image/qr1v5ciid/. I did cleared the code, but didn't change a thing. I know the Mass air flow sensor needs to be replaced so I got one and its going on tomorrow, but would that kill the power?
    I have read several opinions in this thread with from coil pack, SAP control valve under the intake manifold to fuel pump?? Does ANY one really know what could cause this problem before I end up spending a fortune guessing what it might be? It did stall on the freeway, would not restart and I had to get it towed to a shop where they claimed "it's the VANOS and it will cost 2500.00 to fix after they claimed a code kept popping up that indicated it was the CPS, UUUGGGHHH!!!! Can anyone help me resolve this ? I just want my car to run like it used to I miss driving my baby...
    Please

No disrespect to everyone that might want to help, but I need advice from either a REAL BMW Mechanic or someone that really knows everything about this car. I don't have the money to just spend on a guessing game I need real repair data that will bring my car back to the status it was in before it arrived here in California.
    Side Note:
    Does anyone know of a trust worthy shop that is fare in Costa Mesa California.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt RockStar View Post
    No disrespect to everyone that might want to help, but I need advice from either a REAL BMW Mechanic or someone that really knows everything about this car
    lol

Then take it to a "REAL BMW Mechanic"

...you have codes telling you what the problem is

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    lol Then take it to a "REAL BMW Mechanic" ...you have codes telling you what the problem is
    I'd press the like button if there was one!
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    2000 323CI
    Really that's all you have? Wow I thought this site had knowledgeable people on it? Duhh! If knew a trust worthy mechanic in Costa Mesa I would have taken it to them already!
    Also had you read the message in my thread you would never had written what you did.
    How mature!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    If you think everyone is untrustworthy, why don't you take it to a BMW dealership?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2000 323CI

Why don't I?

Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    If you think everyone is untrustworthy, why don't you take it to a BMW dealership?
    I never said nor implied that everyone is untrustworthy! Exactly what I said was that I was seeking information from either a BMW mechanic or someone that has a good knowledge of this car.
    And , if you had read my entire thread you would have read that the first place I took it to tried to rip me off by false diagnosing the problem and trying to over charge me.

As for a dealership? Are you freaking kidding me? That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Yeah like I want to spend over a grand just to find out whats wrong and pay 5 times higher for the parts to fix it. How old are you people. Have any of you people that have responded with stupid replies really own a BMW?

These 3 simple letters BMW = to thousands for the simplest things. Do I have money? YES, I do but that doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to just throw it away! I have money because I'm smart enough to spend it wisely!
    Now before anyone send me another stupid message, please don't bother unless you are trying to help me rather than wasting my time with useless statements.

My Cars
    Really that's all you have? Wow I thought this site had knowledgeable people on it? Duhh! If knew a trust worthy mechanic in Costa Mesa I would have taken it to them already!
    Also had you read the message in my thread you would never had written what you did.
    How mature!
    FYI, that is the attitude that you will receive here most of the time you won't get a response. Check out E46 Fanatics. (Flame suit on )

My Cars
    2000 323CI

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by beemer325i View Post
    FYI, that is the attitude that you will receive here most of the time you won't get a response. Check out E46 Fanatics. (Flame suit on )
    Thank you Beemer325,
    I have had a few intelligent thoughts that got me started in a direction. It's saddens me that a place where someone that is seeking good advice is met with childish replies..
    I made another avid BMW lover on e46 that shared a shop real close to me where he knows the owner. Just praying that they figure it out and it doesn't cost over a grand.
    Thank you again

My Cars
    You're welcome and good luck I know the feeling. I usually just come here to research I have learned a great deal about my car however I don't DIY either so I had to take it in every time. These are great cars but they can be very expensive find an indy that will let you bring in your own parts. Also rather than changing just the water pump & thermostat buy the level 1 or level 2 kit it saves a lot of money and the entire cooling system is done.
    Try to do the suspension in the same manner, I had a warranty on my e46 so the front suspension was replaced as the part failed. It cost me a lot of money because i had to pay a high deductible each time.
    Last edited by beemer325i; 03-17-2015 at 03:28 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Thank you Beemer325,
    I have had a few intelligent thoughts that got me started in a direction. It's saddens me that a place where someone that is seeking good advice is met with childish replies..
    I made another avid BMW lover on e46 that shared a shop real close to me where he knows the owner. Just praying that they figure it out and it doesn't cost over a grand.
    Thank you again
    Most the time we help. When you basically insult the vast majority of us - who know plenty, but not "EVERYTHING" about the car (nobody knows everything about anything) - by insinuating that the average laymen won't know the answer, you get asinine responses.

You only get what you give...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    Most the time we help. When you basically insult the vast majority of us - who know plenty, but not "EVERYTHING" about the car (nobody knows everything about anything) - by insinuating that the average laymen won't know the answer, you get asinine responses.

You only get what you give...

I have asked questions numerous times on this site and never received a response. So I just lurked and learned . But it doesn't matter anymore because I sold my car, I bought American this time at least it doesn't have all the common failures that the e46 has.
    And in my opinion the entire car is a failure, suspensions, power steering components, VCG's, tranmissions, injectors,vano's units, should Not Fail at 67,000 miles however mine did.
    Last edited by beemer325i; 03-18-2015 at 08:45 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    I have asked questions numerous times on this site and never received a response. So I just lurked and learned . But it doesn't matter anymore because I sold my car, I bought American this time at least it doesn't have all the common failures that the e46 has.
    And in my opinion the entire car is a failure, suspensions, power steering components, VCG's, tranmissions, injectors,vano's units, should Not Fail at 67,000 miles however mine did.
    Yeah looks like nobody helped you at all, bummer
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...5i-Whats-wrong
    (just the first thread I looked at that you posted...)

Like I said you get what you give. You asked your question in a respectful way and got respectful answers. 10 to 1 if you had said "ONLY PEOPLE WHO AREN'T IDIOTS RESPOND!" you'd have gotten asinine responses as well.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    Yeah looks like nobody helped you at all, bummer
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...5i-Whats-wrong
    (just the first thread I looked at that you posted...)

Like I said you get what you give. You asked your question in a respectful way and got respectful answers. 10 to 1 if you had said "ONLY PEOPLE WHO AREN'T IDIOTS RESPOND!" you'd have gotten asinine responses as well.

Yeah that was my bad for thinking what can go wrong on this e46 with 56,000 miles, that's when the problems started up until I sold it at 77,000 3 weeks ago.
    My other 4 bimmers had close to 200,000 miles on them so I expected issues.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    I don't know why people who have never contributed or helped others moan and complain. Not to mention you're disrespectful toward others and use condescending language, and still expect everyone to bow for you. Just shame on you.

If you had a bit of common sense, you would've actually searched what those codes meant, instead of turning on full rant mode. It took me 30 sec to find the codes and even the DIY for the possible fix:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=358494
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZIr-rp1FSc
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=41+065+code+inlet+camshaft
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Yeah that was my bad for thinking what can go wrong on this e46 with 56,000 miles, that's when the problems started up until I sold it at 77,000 3 weeks ago.
    My other 4 bimmers had close to 200,000 miles on them so I expected issues.
    Just because yours was a lemon does not make them all crap. I have 84k miles on my 05 and never had any of those problems.

Anyway to the OP I really don't know enough about what your experiencing, but it almost sounds like your car is in limp mode which is a transmission problem. However it could also be a leak somewhere in the intake boot which can cause loss of power and the MAF to act up. Ticking sound is somewhat normal for these cars. A bad vanos would sound more like marbles rattling around in a can. If when in park/neutral and you rev it does it rev freely or struggle?

As others said, be respectful, you get respect, give more info on top of that and others can help.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsterBek View Post
    I don't know why people who have never contributed or helped others moan and complain. Not to mention you're disrespectful toward others and use condescending language, and still expect everyone to bow for you. Just shame on you.

If you had a bit of common sense, you would've actually searched what those codes meant, instead of turning on full rant mode. It took me 30 sec to find the codes and even the DIY for the possible fix:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=358494
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZIr-rp1FSc
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=41+065+code+inlet+camshaft
    Those posts weren't made by REAL BMW MECHANICS so it is invalid for the purposes of this thread.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerDee View Post
    Just because yours was a lemon does not make them all crap. I have 84k miles on my 05 and never had any of those problems.

Anyway to the OP I really don't know enough about what your experiencing, but it almost sounds like your car is in limp mode which is a transmission problem. However it could also be a leak somewhere in the intake boot which can cause loss of power and the MAF to act up. Ticking sound is somewhat normal for these cars. A bad vanos would sound more like marbles rattling around in a can. If when in park/neutral and you rev it does it rev freely or struggle?

As others said, be respectful, you get respect, give more info on top of that and others can help.
    Well aren't you a real piece of crap Shut you're mouth My car was not a lemon...these are all the common issues of an e46, if you haven't experienced these problems then you are driving a ticking time bomb damn batman....stupid..
    Last edited by beemer325i; 03-23-2015 at 12:58 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    1. I've never heard of a VANOS failure stopping a car from running at all.
    2. With basic hand tools and a cam holding tool you do the repair yourself for <$100. The tool can be borrowed or rented, I will offer mine if you'd like.
    Replacing the entire VANOS unit is a pretty simple and straight forward job. The labor quoted is far too much.
    Dealer is the last place you want this done, you'll pay full BMW retail for parts and the highest labor rate in town to a guy who may not even be familiar with your car. That VANOS job will exceed the value of your 15 year old car
    Good luck

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    z3
    Well aren't you a real piece of crap Shut you're mouth My car was not a lemon...these are all the common issues of an e46, if you haven't experienced these problems then you are driving a ticking time bomb damn batman....stupid..
    I love your (grotesquely inconsistent) logic

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS