Thread: M235xi vs. S3

My Cars
    IS250

M235xi vs. S3

Hi, I'm looking for a next vehicle and now it's down to either the M235xi Coupe vs. the 8V S3 Sedan.

At the packages that I'm looking at (offered in Canada), the BMW is roughly $5-6k more than the S3.

What's your take on this?

P.S. I'm coming from a 2009 IS250 AWD (which was my first ever vehicle), so never really had any power potential but I still modded it for handling & suspension work, and sound. Both the Bimmer and Audi are plenty fast, but which is would be the more "reliable" German beast?

I've got a 2014 M235i... Manual transmission. No Audi ownership experience.

So far, no issues with the 235, and its a fantastic car. Easy to toss around and plenty responsive.

That's about all I can say to the situation. Good luck in whatever you choose...

You've picked two nice cars to choose from, but they are totally different; thus the price difference.

The Audi is a turbo 4 cylinder; while the M235i is a turbo i6; one of the best ever made.

I've test driven both and think they each make very strong cases. The Audi feels more like you should just save some money and get a Golf GTI R; same car. The BMW is a Beast of an engine, but feels a tad heavy up front. Nothing bad, just noticeable. Even saying that, it's the best damn car you can buy for under $60K. If you don't need 4 doors, it's hard to beat.

On your question of reliability, the answer is neither. You don't buy German for reliability, u buy them because they are precision machines. All new BMWs have a 4 yr maintenance plan, plus the nice warranty. Audi doesn't really have the maintenance plan.

Suggest that you drive both; take a real test drive, not that around the block at 25 mph crap. Purchase which ever one gives you the biggest smile.

My Cars
    bmw m235i
    @Rolltidef30 you have all the reason

My Cars
    '09 135i
    n55 can be quite a powerful engine with only a tune. If power is what you are after I would strongly consider the 235. I have not driven an s3, but I do like the way it looks. I drove a 2012 a4 and I thought the steering felt like an old mercury sable lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rolltidef30 View Post
    You've picked two nice cars to choose from, but they are totally different; thus the price difference.

The Audi is a turbo 4 cylinder; while the M235i is a turbo i6; one of the best ever made.

I've test driven both and think they each make very strong cases. The Audi feels more like you should just save some money and get a Golf GTI R; same car. The BMW is a Beast of an engine, but feels a tad heavy up front. Nothing bad, just noticeable. Even saying that, it's the best damn car you can buy for under $60K. If you don't need 4 doors, it's hard to beat.

On your question of reliability, the answer is neither. You don't buy German for reliability, u buy them because they are precision machines. All new BMWs have a 4 yr maintenance plan, plus the nice warranty. Audi doesn't really have the maintenance plan.

Suggest that you drive both; take a real test drive, not that around the block at 25 mph crap. Purchase which ever one gives you the biggest smile.
    audi is a 5 cylinder. I'd rather have a bmw over a volkswagen.
    Last edited by cky751; 04-14-2015 at 08:58 AM.
    '95 Avus Blue M3|Dinan tune|Cosmos V1 CAI|Recaro|3.23 lsd|Magnaflow| -SOLD
    '95 Cosmos M3 |Cosmos Racing V1 3.5" CAI|Samco rep TB boot|740i HFM|Turner Tune|UUC Pulleys|CF Hood|Depo 6000k|Depo french fogs|Depo Tails|Black Wide Kidney Grill|AA exhaust|Zimmerman Drilled rotors|Sparco|B&M SSK|Koni S&S|BMP Bushings|Wahlbro 255|Stewart Thermostat| 240whp -SOLD
    '09 135i 6mt |BMS JB4 g5iso| MHD BMS Flash| BMS DCI| BMS Chargepipe | BMS Inlets| RB PCV| N54 Perf 3" DP| Wagner FMIC| Ryan Racing DV Valves| Fuel it Stage 2| e60| 480whp

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Quote Originally Posted by cky751 View Post
    audi is a 5 cylinder. I'd rather have a bmw over a volkswagen.
    Nope, the S3 is a 4-pot. Anyway, even the RS3's 5-cyl engine is just another cheap-FWD-based super-front-heavy grocery getter that has been polished a bit to justify extending it into that market niche and charging ridiculous amounts of money for it. BMW comes from the completely opposite direction, having a great chassis and balance. The M235i might not have the most sophisticated and expensive suspension componentry etc. but the basis is sound as hell.

Just because two cars are similarly priced and have power figures almost in the same ballpark doesn't mean that they are actually in any way similar at all.
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...