Thread: "The most annoying switch of BMW cars..."

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert

"The most annoying switch of BMW cars..."

Your blue vs red selector when your car already has automatic climate control.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    It's a dial, not a switch.

Annoying article is annoying.

It could easily be called the greatest dial in the history of cars because it allows to override the complicated settings on your fancy automatic climate temporarily, or in the case of the way that I personally use it: I have the climate control set to 70 degrees. When it's cold outside, I get in and flick the dial to hot. Then after the vehicle gets warmed up, I dial it down a little. Keep in mind that its intent is to be able to blow cool air in your face while still maintaining that 73 or 74 temp setting in the cabin by means of the automatic climate control.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 03-12-2015 at 11:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    z3
    I love those switches, I wished my Z3 had one. In my E36 there was always a little air blowing through the system all the time and with the system off the dials wouldn't control the temperature of the air flowing through, but this little dial would. Its actually quite a nice feature.

Some people say it brings in ambient exterior air but I'm not sure about that...

People complain about the stupidest stuff sometimes...
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 03-12-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    That article is written by an imbecile who doesn't understand the function and purpose of that dial.

That dial allows to independently control the temperature coming out of center vents. This is one of those features that sets the brand apart, since once you get used to it, you always look for it in other cars.

For example, in winter, I want hot air blowing from foot vents while the cooler air directed toward my face. By directing cooler air towards the head, it is shown to reduce driver fatigue and dried out eyes.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    z3
    Next week: "The most annoying feature in the world: Manual transmissions, N/A I6 engines and RWD cars"

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    01 540i6, 03 X5 4.4i
    Well, you learn something every day! I did not know that it allowed independent control of center vent temp.
    2001 BMW 540i6 Anthracite/Sand

1997 BMW 328i - Sold

My Cars
    E36, E60 535, E70 5.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashland View Post
    Your blue vs red selector when your car already has automatic climate control.
    On my e36 it is in fact a great feature and easy to use right there on the dash. On my girls e60 you have to go through I-drive to control it and it is so complicated she hasn't figured it out still and has owned the car for three years. On my e70 you still have to go through the I drive, or you can push the vent selection button to access it. Luckily BMW decided to put it back on the dash for 2014 cars so it is easy and convenient to use again. But for about a decade there it was if fact a royal pain to use
    Last edited by natesestates; 03-13-2015 at 05:47 AM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by natesestates View Post
    On my e36 it is in fact a great feature and easy to use right there on the dash. On my girls e60 you have to go through I-drive to control it and it is so complicated she hasn't figured it out still and has owned the car for three years. On my e70 you still have to go through the I drive, or you can push the vent selection button to access it. Luckily BMW decided to put it back on the dash for 2014 cars so it is easy and convenient to use again. But for about a decade there it was if fact a royal pain to use

But for the time when it was a PITA to use, it wasn't a dial on the dash!
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

downeaster1 is offline Expert De-Vanos-er BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    135is #502 of 586
    Fun Fact: It's called a "stratification wheel", and it's very handy and useful when you know how to use it.

My Cars
    05 330i
    I've actually been using mine so much now after this thread started. Quite useful!
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I just switch mine vs the seasons. In the heat season it is full red, in air condition season it is set to full blue. When the ventilation system is off I do use it to control the temperature of the air that faintly blows in. I do the same thing with the normal heater control on my older American car with the blower off.

I personally would be a lot happier with the good old fashioned knob setup for temperature and fan speed, whom ever at BMW decided a button to select 16 fan speed settings was a good idea was clearly misinformed.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    I just switch mine vs the seasons. In the heat season it is full red, in air condition season it is set to full blue. When the ventilation system is off I do use it to control the temperature of the air that faintly blows in. I do the same thing with the normal heater control on my older American car with the blower off.

I personally would be a lot happier with the good old fashioned knob setup for temperature and fan speed, whom ever at BMW decided a button to select 16 fan speed settings was a good idea was clearly misinformed.
    That's why also there is auto climate control. .. personally I dislike just using knobs... set the temp and hit auto...

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.