Thread: E36 Performance Shifters

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 M3 Coupe

E36 Performance Shifters

I have tried the AKG & UUC shifters and still am not pleased with either of them
    Anyone have experience with the CAE shifter from Hard Motorsports?

This is for my race car.....any missed shift is a problem

My Cars
    72 + 75 2002's
    CAE is amazing in every way. At $900/$850 it should be.

Surprised you didn't like the AKG however... it's not as over engineered, but as long as you have good motor and trans mounts you should not be having mis-shifts with it.
    Current_SeeDee 1972 Type 114 Luna 1975 Type 114
    Past___Veronica
    1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    You posted this in the E36 forum and I replied, but did not get your answer...

What are you not pleased with? Specifically, what are you looking to change or improve?

Understand that with BMWs, the final feel of the shifter assembly, regardless of brand, is significantly affected by the transmission itself. Residual free play, or difficulty getting into specific gears, are all part of what is going on inside the transmission. No external shifter mechanism can improve beyond the exterior linkage parts.

Knowing what I do about how BMW shifters work (which, I have to say, is quite a bit), you won't be able to get any greater precision than what we provide with the UUC Evo3 design.

What can improve your shifting feel further is choosing the right transmission fluid. Modern BMWs do best with a synthetic ATF (I recommend Redline D4-ATF). What I also strongly recommend to smooth out the action and even help with crunchy synchros is the LubroMoly MoS2 "Additive for Gears" product:

The MoS2 is definitely a product that over-delivers. We use it in transmissions and differentials.
    ----------
    NOT with that company any more.