Thread: Headlight upgrade/replacement for 2003 Z4 3.01

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0I

Headlight upgrade/replacement for 2003 Z4 3.01

Hi folks, Newb to my BMW here, first (not last for sure) one, want to get some replacement headlights for my 2003 z4 3.01. The lenses are "fogged" over on the stock ones. pretty sure they're stock. I have seen some NON HID TYPE, and just wondering what is the difference, and also, can Xenon replacements be had? the lights are good, it's just the lenses have yellowed and fogged over. Pretty sure the lenses alone can't be replaced? thanks in advance for any insight and information. cheers

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    The lenses for the '03 Z4 cannot be replaced, you can only purchase the headlamp assembly. They are not cheap if considering upgrading to Xenon Lights. The difference between Xenon and "NON HID TYPE" are that Xenon is usually brighter and tends to have a blue-greenish color. Xenons are more desirable because of their color temp and on BMW's because of the signature Angel Eyes.

BMW always used the brand "HELLA" I highly highly recommend that you purchase that brand because that makes your car worth more sticking to the OEM Lights.

Links To Lights (Rock Auto):

Xenon HELLA Left ($504.79): https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=639&jpid=3
    Xenon HELLA Right ($504.79):https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=639&jpid=4

HELLA Regular HID Left ($257.00): https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=639&jpid=0
    HELLA Regular HID Right ($257.00): https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=639&jpid=2

*****Prices include bulb and bulb assembly in New Condition*****

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0I
    Thanks! Are these junk, stay away?.... just the first ones I saw...

http://www.xtralights.com/03-08bmwz4...FRWUfgodDHkAJg

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0I
    Thanks! Found some made by Spyder, for $547 for the pair, with "+ HID Xenon Lights Kit", no good?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Its your call however if it was my car i would spend the extra money and purchase HELLA because of their highly known reliability. The non oem brand might crack a lot easier and will definatly fog up a lot quicker. If you choose to purchase the spyder brand also purchase some wax cause you will want to wax those with a paste wax probably every 3 months or sooner to prevent them from fogging up sooner. Good Luck!

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0I
    understood. thank you again for the insight!, most appreciative.

My Cars
    Zed4
    You can refurbish the lenses to like new condition by sanding them with several progressively finer grits of sand paper, polish to glass like finish then paint/varnish them with clear coat. Do a search for a DIY like this one. From what I've read I'd stay away from aftermarket headlights do to the low quality.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0I
    I generally don't do the "too good to be true" gig either. I figured there was a catch with price so low on the headlights. Just trying to get info, so greatly appreciated. I had a buddy one time that tried to refurbish" fogged headlight plastic before, it really didn't change them, so i was reluctant to mess with these. They are yellowed and a little cloudy. Doesn't really affect the light much at all, so i have been just playing around with the replacement idea. I don't really drive at night. Mostly bothers me when I walk out to the car and they "look" bad, lol, thanks for the info.

My Cars
    z3
    In my experience the Z4 lights dont respond as well to the plastic polishing method as do other lights. I would replace them with used OEM in good condition, I would avoid those Spyder things like the plague, as they look cheap to me and definitely not a proper look for a Z4.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Zed4
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    In my experience the Z4 lights dont respond as well to the plastic polishing method as do other lights. I would replace them with used OEM in good condition, I would avoid those Spyder things like the plague, as they look cheap to me and definitely not a proper look for a Z4.
    I've seen a Z4 that had some really bad foggy lens that were wet sanded w/ 1000, 1500, and 2000, polished then sprayed with clear coat automotive paint. They still look new after 2 years. Maybe it depends how deteriorated they are. Those quick polish kits aren't going to do it.

My Cars
    z3
    The problem with some Z4 lenses vs. other models is they actually get cloudy on the inside. If it is normal wear the normal process will restore them, "quick polish kit" or otherwise... its all the same process... but I've never seen lights get fogged on the inside in the same way as Z4 lights. When that happens they are beyond restoration by any means.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL
    Are the lenses fogged from water or fogged from the plastic being worn? If water, I just managed to boil mine out pretty well with careful application of a heat gun with the back covers off.
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6-speed
    1997 BMW 740iL
    2003 Chevy Avalanche

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
    On my 03 Z4 2.5 I tried several of the headlight restorer kits available in the parts stores. Most were only marginal in their effectiveness and then didn't last long. Finally a friend suggested Crystal View - it is available at AutoZone and/or Advance Auto. Comes in a silver pouch and costs around $25. Application is similar to the other products with two stages of polishing but it comes with chemical application of ? that seals the lens after second polishing. I did mine almost a year ago and they are still clear. Only works on exterior part of the lens but might be worth a try. Good luck.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    Can someone tell me, I ordered the Xenon Hella headlights, they fit perfectly, and my driving and parking lights work, but the headlights do not work. Do I need to order new ballasts and/or ignitors for my 2003 Z4 to make these headlights work? Very frustrating, I called Rock Auto, but they have nobody there that can answer a question like this, no mechanics or other advice at all. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Might be a dumb question, but looking at your year, are you sure you had Xenon lights to start with and not halogens?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2017 BMW M4
    All headlight restoration kits are not created equal. I had some issues on one light on my 911 and restored the headlight. Here's a link for pictures and reference.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...headlight.html

Later, Steve
    2017 BMW M4 Comp
    2011 BMW Z4 35i 6sp
    2001 Porsche 911 Turbo 6spd
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i 6spd
    2001 BMW M3 6spd
    2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    Not dumb at all, you are correct actually. I was fooled because the harness plugs right in. So what else do I need to do to upgrade to these beautiful demons? Thanks for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, these beautiful xenons from my halogens