Thread: 96 motor in a 93 325?

My Cars
    93' e36 325i

96 motor in a 93 325?

So I've recently traded my 99 Yukon (thankfully) for my second BMW, a 93 325i. The guy I traded I've known for probably 11-12 years. He told me that the 93 325 has a 96 motor swap in it. Now I've already done the trade and made he deal(much better deal for me on my end) but I was curious because after doing some research, I'm finding only swaps between 92-95 will work. Is this correct? What about a 96 motor with a 93 tranny? He never said if the tranny was swapped as well, which is why I've started to research.. Some gears are harder than others to shift into at times (at the stick) and I think I need to replace the tranny mounts pretty bad. Anyway, any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i,2007 civic
    The motor is swappable as long as he converted the 96 motor to obd1 which he most likely did since its easier than converting the ecu and wiring harness to obd2.

The 93 came with a Getrag transmission and the 96 came with a ZF transmission. Although the ZF is tougher the Getrag shouldn't have any problems handling the extra torque. As far as I know both transmissions will bolt up to both engines; I just dont remember if you'd have to swap the driveshaft as well.

Hope this helps.

My Cars
    93' e36 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonne View Post
    The motor is swappable as long as he converted the 96 motor to obd1 which he most likely did since its easier than converting the ecu and wiring harness to obd2. The 93 came with a Getrag transmission and the 96 came with a ZF transmission. Although the ZF is tougher the Getrag shouldn't have any problems handling the extra torque. As far as I know both transmissions will bolt up to both engines; I just dont remember if you'd have to swap the driveshaft as well. Hope this helps.
    Definitely helpful! Thanks a bunch!