Thread: Stop!check oil press

My Cars
    2003 X5 3.0

Stop!check oil press

I have received this message before in my 2002 3.0 X5. I checked the dipstick and the oil level was higher than max, so I extracted some of the extra oil to bring it to normal. Messages stopped About six months later, I received a low oil level warning message, and I added a quart of 5w-30. Two weeks later I received the "stop!check oil press" message again, shortly after I noticed smoke coming from the engine. I immediately shut the engine off and opened the hood. There is oil splatter all over the driver side engine compartment and the front driver side wheel and well. The car was towed to a mechanic. Just want to make sure I'm not going to get ripped off. I hope I'm not in for a super costly repair...

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    You realize oil level and oil pressure are two separate things, right? Your motor may have had borderline low oil pressure (which is not good) for a while now, and that can cause serious damage to just about everything.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    You realize oil level and oil pressure are two separate things, right? Your motor may have had borderline low oil pressure (which is not good) for a while now, and that can cause serious damage to just about everything.
    +1...

OP you probably are in for quite an expensive repair, because you neglected to check oil pressure when the car was telling you to.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!