Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a 1.9?

My Cars
    Z3

Should I buy a 1.9?

I've been looking for a red Z3 within 150 miles of Rochester, NY, for months, and now one has appeared in an ad near me. However, it has a 1.9 four cylinder engine, and I've been thinking I should maybe wait for a bigger six. Any comments? And any idea what it would cost to replace the cassette player with CD? And if anybody else out there has a red Z3 for sale ......

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    There is nothing wrong with the 1.9. It is a stout engine and it's lighter weight makes for an enjoyable car to drive, a little less weight up front.

So what are your interests? Do you just want to cruise, top down? Do you drive in traffic? Is fuel economy of utmost importance? Do you enjoy acceleration and having power?

The 6 cylinder cars offer me a better driving experience, I like the power. The 6 cylinder BMW engine is considered an all-time great powerplant. Personally, I can't imagine having a BMW without that motor, in any displacement. If fuel economy is a primary consideration, get the 1.9l. If absolute lowest purchase price is important, get the 1.9l. Otherwise, I'd advise you to wait for the right 6 cyl. to become available.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    z3
    My advice is to expand your search range...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4847679301.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/4901870844.html

I found others, but I feel like North Carolina is farther than you want to travel.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0
    It's all about your personal enjoyment. These cars are all fun, looking at a four cyl would primarily IMO be for cost. You will find yourself wishing you had more. I have a 3.0 M54 but find myself wishing I had a S54. In the end I still love my car and feel I doubt I would enjoy another more. So if that's the deal, limited budget I say get it, enjoy it, and make it pristine doing all you can yourself. If later you have a windfall buy an M or Ferrarri. It's all relevant but the experience is awesome if your into it. I will say power is one thing, but you will get the handling, the rear wheel drive, hopefully a stick, and top down driving, so there are many more plus's.

My Cars
    Z3
    Yes, that's true. I saw some nice ones in California and Kentucky too. I'm wondering if it would be safe to buy a car from a distant dealer if the dealer had great feedback or reputation, and have it shipped to me. I'm just real nervous about buying a car I haven't driven or even seen up close!!

- - - Updated - - -

I had top down, etc. in my 1.8 liter MGB, and the 190SL Mercedes I had many years ago was no powerhouse. But I think it's time for a 6 cylinder powerplant! :-)

My Cars
    z3
    I buy 80%+ of my cars sight unseen. Just talking to the owner usually gives you a good feel for how the car was maintained. Then if you are really unsure or aren't familiar enough with the chassis to ask specific questions in what to look for, have a board member check it out in person and its also good to arrange a PPI with an independent (not seller-specified) third party mechanic.

Usually by looking elsewhere (notably California, Texas, Florida) you can find one thats not only cheaper even after factoring in shipping/PPI/etc, but is rust-free and overall better condition.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    A 1.9 is fine so long as you won't be looking for power--it will be very much like your old MG in that way. However, if you think you will hanker for power get a six.

My Cars
    E21,330i,528, (2) M Z3
    NO I would pass on 1.9 .........Miata in my opinion

IMO find 2.8, 3.0 or 3.2

tons in Orlando on Craiglist and not rusted

unless the deal leave room for profit. then you could drive while for sale. and roll profit into bigger engine
    Last edited by uksailmaker; 02-22-2015 at 07:30 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 M44B19
    i personally love my m44 z3! very well balanced and with a good suspension setup with a LSD will be a lot of fun. I get 30+ mpg and can accelerate past trucks/suvs even slightly newer 4 bangers without any issues.

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkbmw View Post
    ...and I've been thinking I should maybe wait for a bigger six.
    It's all about personal preference. All Z3 cars have their charms, but I selected the above quote because if you are already having this thought then i don't think the 4 banger is the best fit for you.

My Cars
    1998 z3 1.9
    I have had the experience of owning both a z3 2.8L and my now z3 1.9. I personally am so much happier with the 1.9L for a few reasons. For sure the 2.8 had a measurable power difference, however it got poor gas mileage compared to the 1.9L and you have to really check to make sure the previous owner didn't thrash it about to cause the rear welds to pop; causing a costly repair. In general the 1.9L isn't powerful enough to pop the rear welds. My current 1.9 gets easy 30 mpg as apposed to 22 mpg at best with the 2.8. I find the 1.9 just fun and zippy. The 2.8 also could easily loose traction if I tried to take off too fast. I am not a fan of squealing wheels and that happened a few more times that I liked with the 2.8. It all depends on what you are looking for. The 2.8 can be treated like a muscle car. The 1.9, is lighter, can rev like the dickens and zip around town without loosing traction...perhaps, outperforming the 2.8 with a little practice.
    Life is Amazingly short. Everything you do should put a smile on your face and those around you.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Forget color for a sec and test drive a 1.9 and a 3.0 or M Roadster. Then you will know what Red Roadster you really want. It was the red interior offered in the M Roadster that made my mind up for me.

I have the 3.2l M Roadster, but I have considered adding a 1.9 Manual trans to the stable a few times. The one I had for a day was a hoot to drive!

On the other hand the 1.9 auto I drove was not any fun at all. (just my 2 cents)

Best of luck with your search and welcome to the forums
    Kelly

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9, Jetta TDI,
    Quote Originally Posted by MPKaier View Post
    I have had the experience of owning both a z3 2.8L and my now z3 1.9. I personally am so much happier with the 1.9L for a few reasons. For sure the 2.8 had a measurable power difference, however it got poor gas mileage compared to the 1.9L and you have to really check to make sure the previous owner didn't thrash it about to cause the rear welds to pop; causing a costly repair. In general the 1.9L isn't powerful enough to pop the rear welds. My current 1.9 gets easy 30 mpg as apposed to 22 mpg at best with the 2.8. I find the 1.9 just fun and zippy. The 2.8 also could easily loose traction if I tried to take off too fast. I am not a fan of squealing wheels and that happened a few more times that I liked with the 2.8. It all depends on what you are looking for. The 2.8 can be treated like a muscle car. The 1.9, is lighter, can rev like the dickens and zip around town without loosing traction...perhaps, outperforming the 2.8 with a little practice.
    Yes, I agree the 1.9 has many advantages unless your going to race it. Plenty of power with the manual 5 speed, pretty good gas mileage and don't need to worry about popping the welds and cracking your subframe.

My Cars
    81 C1, 89 ix, 04 M3
    What's our budget?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by uksailmaker View Post
    NO I would pass on 1.9 .........Miata in my opinion
    Ever driven a 1.9 or just prejudiced because bigger must be better?

I love my 1.9 - it's such a drivable car, and that's the point (for me) of a small sports car. A few years ago I'd been at Silverstone Circuit for a Z-fest meeting. Coming away from the circuit there are some great country roads and I was being followed by an M-coupe. Through the twisty stuff he was nowhere, but then just caught up again on any straight that we got to. Sure he had a car that he could drive fast in a straight line, but I reckon I had a lot more fun than he did.

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post

I love my 1.9 - it's such a drivable car, and that's the point (for me) of a small sports car. A few years ago I'd been at Silverstone Circuit for a Z-fest meeting. Coming away from the circuit there are some great country roads and I was being followed by an M-coupe. Through the twisty stuff he was nowhere, but then just caught up again on any straight that we got to. Sure he had a car that he could drive fast in a straight line, but I reckon I had a lot more fun than he did.
    First of all, there's nothing wrong with a Miata, and the 1.9 being compared to one should probably be considered a compliment. I also think a preference for more power is not a bad thing.

That said, comparison of how willing a driver is to push their car through possibly unfamiliar curves on public streets is probably not an accurate way to judge relative vehicle dynamics. Perhaps one driver simply has less coituses to give than the other. Had you been driving the M, it's possible if not probable that you'd have left the 1.9 behind in the twisties as well. The story reminds me of a friend of mine who seems to think his 94 Mustang handles as well as my roadster, because on a public road he was able to tailgate me. I wasn't pushing the car near the limit, for a number of reasons; most of them involving safety. I've invited him to come out to autocross, but he never does.
    Last edited by Scarceas; 02-23-2015 at 04:53 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    My point was really that to dismiss the 1.9 out-of-hand is rather foolish.

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    My point was really that to dismiss the 1.9 out-of-hand is rather foolish.
    But I'm sure you can understand it, though. Being the smallest displacement and lowest horsepower in the lineup, it stands to reason that it would be less popular on a performance-oriented automotive forum. Even BMW dropped the engine, sticking with only six cylinder choices.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Personally I find that the 2.3/2.5L are the perfect balance. Decent fuel economy for a sports car and nice grunt from the engine. The exhaust note is perfect and the performance is brisk. To be fair though, you can't go wrong with any Zed as I've driven all the variants and think they're all wonderful.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    z3

Are you implying your 1.9 roadster out-handled an M coupe?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    Being the smallest displacement and lowest horsepower in the lineup, it stands to reason that it would be less popular on a performance-oriented automotive forum. Even BMW dropped the engine, sticking with only six cylinder choices.
    I thought this was a Z3 forum rather than a performance forum. They may have dropped the 4 cylinder engine in the USA, but there is a whole world outside of the USA where the 4-pot ran until 2001, and in the less-powerful M43 guise.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Are you implying your 1.9 roadster out-handled an M coupe?
    On that day me in the 1.9 was quicker than other bloke in the ///M. I realise that's an irrelevant point, but anyone can plant the accelerator in a powerful car in a straight line, which is all he was doing.

The point was that the 1.9 is a great car in its own right and the dismissive comments are, at best, ill informed.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.

The point was that the 1.9 is a great car in its own right and the dismissive comments are, at best, ill informed.
    I agree wholeheartedly.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I thought this was a Z3 forum rather than a performance forum. They may have dropped the 4 cylinder engine in the USA, but there is a whole world outside of the USA where the 4-pot ran until 2001, and in the less-powerful M43 guise.
    OK, fair enough. But let me ask you, how many motorists and Z3 enthusiast look for more favorably at the larger engine'd models? Do you look at every one you see on the road and try to figure out what motor it has? I do, and I do similar things with all sorts of other cars too. People driving a 1.5l cars look up to cars running 2 liter. People in 20 foot boats look at 40 foot boats on the waterways. It's normal. If you are a Z3 enthusiast, enough to contribute of an internet auto forum, you are most likely a performance fan too. If we removed all performance-related discussion from this forum, just how much Z3 discussion remains? Remember performance is more than just about engine size. Suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, etc.

Concerning dismissive comments towards the 1.9, I've both read and contributed valid points about the engine.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    Interesting thread. I find myself asking the same question.

I have an M Coupe, but I miss my Miata and I'm thinking of picking up a cheap roadster. The 1.9 seems to be readily available for less than $5k, and a four shooter might be a nice balance for the MMonster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast