Thread: How to connect and mount UGDO to a non wired non precut car?

My Cars
    04/2001 €38 730dA

How to connect and mount UGDO to a non wired non precut car?

Hello All,

I got my hands on a nice UGDO from a 2000 740d Euro E38. I want to put it in my 2001 730d car , I've looked but the car sees to NOT be prewired for the UGDO module .
    I have the microphone and the glass roof buttons on the panel but I'm hesitant to touch the car wires without knowing. Any advises will be very appreciated. My other issue is that the plastic panel is not precut so to say to fit the UGDO. There are some "lines" but those dont seem to be those to mount correctly the UGDO and I really dont want to mess up my ahthracite panel.

Thank you

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by 7BREYTON View Post
    Hello All,

I got my hands on a nice UGDO from a 2000 740d Euro E38. I want to put it in my 2001 730d car , I've looked but the car sees to NOT be prewired for the UGDO module .
    I have the microphone and the glass roof buttons on the panel but I'm hesitant to touch the car wires without knowing. Any advises will be very appreciated. My other issue is that the plastic panel is not precut so to say to fit the UGDO. There are some "lines" but those dont seem to be those to mount correctly the UGDO and I really dont want to mess up my ahthracite panel.

Thank you

You just need to tap a 12v source and power it and you are set.

Those panels are actually all the same. The factory would take a one hole blank and then cut out the holes needed from two to four. That center hole is a very easy cut to do with the area to cut being layed out with walls. Once cut the ugdo will fit perfectly but it does count on some of that padding to tighten it up in the hole.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Ditto about the cut out...the rectangular location should be there...don't let the X shaped lines throw you off...the UGDO opening is universal. Use the X to score & knock out sections of the plastic if you dont have a dremel tool. I used a straight edge and utility knife to make several scores in the plastic...then knocked it out.

Be careful with the fabric...cut thru it following the X design in the plastic...then fold the resulting triangles back thru the hole you opened. The fabric can be used to help secure the UGDO if you make the hole to big...so
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-22-2015 at 08:01 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    750iL; 330Ci cab; 5GT
    Although US cars seem to be pre-wired for the UGDO, I don't think that is the case with Euro cars. I have never found a UK unit for sale, US frequencies are different, and my car is not wired. However all the wires you need are present, since there is a power cable to the sunroof, a lighting cable to the lights and a ground to the same. Can I ask where you got your UGDO, and do you know what frequency it will use?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    You raise good points. Even here in the USA the UGDO has different frequencies...as well as the garage door opener manufacterers changing the frequencies.

When I had to purchase a new opener in 2013...non of the UGDOs in my e38, e39, & e53 no longer would work with the new opener. I had to end up buying a HOME LINK repeater which bridged the gap between the old frequencies & new opener frequencies.

(Repeater plugged in to electrical outlet on ceiling near opener)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    04/2001 €38 730dA
    You just need to tap a 12v source and power it and you are set .... how do I find it? The # wires on the UGDO are

BROWN

GREY/RED

YELLOW/GREEN

Do I tap the GREY/RED and YELLOW/GREEN with the same that run to the microphone??? What is the best way to do it?
    What about the BROWN ...?

Im not good with wiring and I really hate to mess up the car. Sorry for noob questions

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Yes...find same color wire combo going to other components up there...there should be multiple brown wires to tap into as well.

My Cars
    04/2001 €38 730dA
    That is the UGDO. I got it from a dude here (Bulgaria) parting his 740d as well as his 18 way contour seats in a package deal.

It does not seem that those lines are a perfect fit ... (EDIT) ===> ... hmmm I actually did some measuring and seems those are the exact lines
    This is what threw me off kinda ...

- - - Updated - - -

Brown wire there I guess is a 12v ???
    Is there no 12v wire running to the microphone so I can tap to all 3 wires there???

Last edited by 7BREYTON; 02-22-2015 at 10:02 PM.

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Yellow/green = ignition switched power (12V), Brown = ground, Grey/red = orange night lighting.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    04/2001 €38 730dA
    Quote Originally Posted by psjr View Post
    Yellow/green = ignition switched power (12V), Brown = ground, Grey/red = orange night lighting.
    Aha so the brown is ground ... and I take it that any brown wire there is ground and I can tap into. Thing is the only brown wire I see is tucked and will be tricky to tap. So I guess my question now is:

Is there no GROUND wire running to the microphone so I can tap to all 3 wires there???
    =================================================
    - - - Updated - - -

Edit ... so a did some browsing on EBAY and this seems to be the right cut and opening. I suppose I'm gonna try soon cutting my panel ... i hope I dont ruin it :|

Last edited by 7BREYTON; 02-22-2015 at 11:07 PM.

My Cars
    750iL; 330Ci cab; 5GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    You raise good points. Even here in the USA the UGDO has different frequencies...as well as the garage door opener manufacterers changing the frequencies.

When I had to purchase a new opener in 2013...non of the UGDOs in my e38, e39, & e53 no longer would work with the new opener. I had to end up buying a HOME LINK repeater which bridged the gap between the old frequencies & new opener frequencies.

(Repeater plugged in to electrical outlet on ceiling near opener)

Does that repeater simply convert form the UGDO frequency to your garage frequency i.e. can it only convert to one frequency or can you select the frequency it converts to?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisn7 View Post
    Does that repeater simply convert form the UGDO frequency to your garage frequency i.e. can it only convert to one frequency or can you select the frequency it converts to?
    There's no way to "select" the frequency of the repeater. You use (program) the repeater's remote to the UGDO in your vehicle...then just plug the repeater in near your opener and then press the "learn" button on your opener...and go through the same procedure of pressing the UGDO button in the vehicle you want to use to open the garage door.

You can also program multiple vehicle's UGDO to the repeater's remote...and they all seem to operate the door.

EDIT: here's a link to the HOMELINK's website that explains how to program the repeater: http://www.homelink.com/repeater

BTW...the original remotes for your opener still work, too...so don't throw them away if you have multiple cars that don't have built-in UGDOs.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Great info, thanks!

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2001 740i short/sport
    You raise good points. Even here in the USA the UGDO has different frequencies...as well as the garage door opener manufacterers changing the frequencies. When I had to purchase a new opener in 2013...non of the UGDOs in my e38, e39, & e53 no longer would work with the new opener. I had to end up buying a HOME LINK repeater which bridged the gap between the old frequencies & new opener frequencies. (Repeater plugged in to electrical outlet on ceiling near opener)
    Gosh. Very cool. Ordering one of these!

My Cars
    04/2001 €38 730dA
    Is there no GROUND wire running to the microphone so I can tap to all 3 wires there? Probably a dumb question, but I'm good with drinking beer , electricity is not my thing ))
    What is the best way to tap into the wires, would you recommend soldering or those T-taps?
    Are those T-taps or such reliable, Arent the wires too thin?

this dude here gots good points http://youtu.be/Jtvi7bGenC4

What I would like to do is actually tap into the mic connector 2 wires and then the brown to another brown wire there. How can this "pinning" be done.

Thank you.
    Last edited by 7BREYTON; 02-25-2015 at 12:43 AM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Do you have a sunroof? If so, that switch is illuminated so it should have all 3 wires you need.

My Cars
    04/2001 €38 730dA
    Qsilver7 I do have the sun roof but the wires have different colors? If I take pics can you point me in the right direction?

Also, will I be able to use the UGDO with ANYTHING that has a remote control ... like some electric plugs lights and other similar stuff???

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The Homelink UGDO can be programmed to control other things (like a lamp inside your home...or other electronics or lighing)...but requires components that are compatible with the Homelink's RF system. You may want to go to their website for more info/details as to what things are available.

Here's a schematic of the sunroof switch below. It appears that pin #2 is the wire that runs to the LCM...thus this wire illuminates the switch...and it maybe a green wire with a red stripe (GR/RT)...see the wire color chart below to identify the letters for the solid & solid w/stripe colors BMW uses. I believe the wiring color scheme is (solid color/stripe color)...please correct me if I have it backwards.

• pin #2 = illumination
    • pin # 5, 4, & 3 = 12 volts

Click link for BMW WDS site: BMW online WDS

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-04-2015 at 01:54 PM.