View Poll Results: What should OP get?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • E92 M3

6 75.00%
  • E60 M5

2 25.00%

Thread: E92 M3 or E60 M5 for next daily?

My Cars
    2014 M5

E92 M3 or E60 M5 for next daily?

The time as come for a new(er) car. I have been wanting to upgrade to an E92 M3 for the past 5 years and I can finally afford to do so....then my brother came along and showed me the E60 M5's are in the same price range.

Im not really a fan of 4 doors but you know...v10 and all. Havent been seeing too many major issues to watch out for on either of them (clutch crap on the M5's and rod bearings on the M3's)

Whats OT say on it?
    M5 because why not have a 700hp baby mover?

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    OT says it's on topic.

My Cars
    Azn Ruxury
    Quote Originally Posted by Skwisgaar View Post
    OT says it's on topic.

My Cars
    z3
    I'd get an E92 M3 over E60 M5 any day.

First repair bill on the M5 and you'll be wishing the same thing. There is a reason they depreciate like a stone. Were it an M6 Coupe I could maybe justify it, since those are beautiful and just a stone's throw away from the M3's weight... but the M5, I'd pass.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I'd get an E92 M3 over E60 M5 any day.

First repair bill on the M5 and you'll be wishing the same thing. There is a reason they depreciate like a stone. Were it an M6 Coupe I could maybe justify it, since those are beautiful and just a stone's throw away from the M3's weight... but the M5, I'd pass.
    ^ The man speaks the truth. The M5 has major issues, and they're getting cheap enough that you can count on them being beat

My Cars
    2014 M5
    I was considering a M6 as well but they just look too much like retarded catfish. New body style is much nicer but out of the price range Id be looking at.

What are some of the maintenance problems Id be looking at? Honestly cant find much of that info in buyers guides and scanning forums.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    If you get an E60 M5... be prepared for 11mpg. On my Sunday drives, I was getting 9mpg. Best case scenario on road trips where I was driving on the highway for I could get 18mpg.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2014 M5
    Im not worried about mileage. My commute is 5 miles, I average 50-60 miles a week. For road trips we have an explorer as I will not be hauling 2 80lb dogs in my new car.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    You will be doing a disservice to the car cause unless you get it up to speed... I doubt you'll even warm the engine oil up enough to evaporate any condensation that is present in the oil system. Plus, a file-mile commute won't even give the car a change to stretch it's legs, it's really a high way autobahn machine. M3 handles the stop and go life better IMHO.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    For a such a small commute you're looking to spend $xx,xxx and not even care about mayo build up, least bother to let it rev the tits all out for what it's been intended for?????? Change your option list then. Pointless to buy such an expensive car for only small commute cruising at around 45mph or so only.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by EnderG60 View Post
    Im not worried about mileage. My commute is 5 miles, I average 50-60 miles a week. For road trips we have an explorer as I will not be hauling 2 80lb dogs in my new car.
    Thats really bad for the car.... especially these high-strung M engines, you'll be destroying it driving it 5 mile commutes 7 days a week...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Thats really bad for the car.... especially these high-strung M engines, you'll be destroying it driving it 5 mile commutes 7 days a week...
    Yep, washed down cylinders. At least you'll have engine mayo that you could apply to your morning bread-fast!

My Cars
    e39's
    Maybe he wants a car for sunday drives..
    Drive both, see what mmmoves you
    As I stated before, communicate well and often, especially when the news is not going to be pleasant.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by sausrigging View Post
    Maybe he wants a car for sunday drives..
    Drive both, see what mmmoves you
    What is the title of the thread?

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    I was just in your shoes.... The wife decided she needed a newer car after we got rid of her e39 M5.
    We were cross shopping the e92 M3 and the e60 M5. I have driven e60 M5's (SMG only) and have been in a e90 M3 (manual?).
    Ultimately we decided to go with an e60 M5 manual.
    Reasons;
    Larger, V10, V10, V10, manual, V10, M5 Manual.
    Why I liked the e92 M3: Easier to find manual, DCT is wayyyyy better than SMG (if you were going that route), more colour options (we were ready to go buy a white/red 6 speed but it had sold). What i didn't like about it, tight interior, more "bare/basic" feel to it, but much better fuel economy. I've read quite a bit about the engine and apparently all those who thought it would be like the e39 M5 V8 were very, very disappointed, so I decided I didn't want spoil my love for the V8 by being disappointed.

One more thing, I spent weeks reading hours upon hours on the model specific forums. They are BOTH very heavy maintenance wise and THEY BOTH have costly and common issues. So really, neither is much better in that regard.
    Last edited by BMWM5LOVER; 02-26-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    ['07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
    Toys
    '93 BMW 850i J Spec- (DiamondSchwartz)-CSI Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    '81 MB 500 SEC Koenig (pearl white)
    00 BMW 750iL J Spec- Alpina Mods
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    11 BMW M3 DCT Competition
    12 BMW 328i M Sport Convertible
    +++