Thread: Dear Europe, can you send us sone cars?

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport

Dear Europe, can you send us some cars?

So each year my wife and I travel to Europe. Usually Western Europe but some excursions into the East. I'm growing tired of either the difference in road quality, options, features and car model choices we have in the states versus the examples I see here.
    As examples;
    The alpina i8

This goofy Merc SUV

A dirty Ferrari

This thing
    I mean what government agencies are going to control your mind in this bad mamma-jamma?

Smooth as glass roads (Western Europe at least), headlight aiming from the driver's seat, liberal speed limits (Not Switzerland for sure), the vw Sirocco, the Ford Kuga, the vw pickup truck, the R36 Passat and the m5 wagon just to name a few. The 40 mpg driving at 90mph motors, the nav systems in-tune with the cruise control. Stuff like this is needed and desired in the US.

Please just send us the cars and I'm sure we'll come up with better roads.
    Damn America, get on the train! Loosen the reigns and let us have the same fun the rest of the world is having. I pay too much in taxes to have this kind of restricted flow of awesomeness.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 02-18-2015 at 06:05 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    We got the FF. If someone really wanted an Alpina i8 I'm sure it would happen. There are a reason we don't have headlight aiming controls from the driver's seats in our cars... everyone would drive around with max visibility for themselves not caring they are blinding everyone else (a la HID bulbs in halogen housings). We are starting to get cars with cruise controls that read from the nav system to tell what speed a certain road is, to at least alert you of what the speed limit is. There are a million reasons we can't get all those features - mostly that people would abuse a lot of them and some are just not practical for the amount of roads we have in the US vs. the relatively smaller, tighter-packed Europe. One of the biggest factors is different safety/emissions regulations and different types of people - in the US we are infinitely more likely to sue and hold a manufacturer liable for our own negligence just because a feature says it does something...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2015 X1 & 2000 M5
    We get that Mercedes too, it just came to the U.S.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Why not we all move to Europe?

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    So each year my wife and I travel to Europe. Usually Western Europe but some excursions into the East. I'm growing tired of either the difference in road quality, options, features and car model choices we have in the states versus the examples I see here.
    Smooth as glass roads (Western Europe at least), headlight aiming from the driver's seat, liberal speed limits (Not Switzerland for sure), the vw Sirocco, the Ford Kuga, the vw pickup truck, the R36 Passat and the m5 wagon just to name a few. The 40 mpg driving at 90mph motors, the nav systems in-tune with the cruise control. Stuff like this is needed and desired in the US.

Damn America, get on the train! Loosen the reigns and let us have the same fun the rest of the world is having. I pay too much in taxes to have this kind of restricted flow of awesomeness.

Each place has their own pros and cons. I think you're just in a honeymoon phase with Europe right now, so you're trying to remember all the good things.
    I would like to add that public transport is good in most places there, but then it sort of have to be, since car ownership is pretty expensive over there.
    You failed to mention high taxes, expensive fuel, and much higher price for cars.

The alpina i8 is feasible, if someone wanted one, they can probably buy the parts and get them installed easily.
    GLA tall hatchback is on sale now, MB USA just started selling them here.

Ferrari FF was sold stateside and I'm sure somebody have ghetto wrapped their X5 here somewhere. As for options, some of the options you mentioned already available in high end luxury cars. Some aren't available yet (like laser headlights in i8) but outdated rules and regulations are slow with the times and not easy to change.

Road quality- it depends...Same with traffic. You should pop over to East Europe more often, like really East (Romania, Greece, Albania comes to mind). After seeing traffic and drivers in Istanbul, everything now seems minor now.

The simple reason behind why we don't get some of the European cars is that cost of bringing them over isn't worth it. If they think they won't sell enough to turn a profit, then they would not import it here.
    Last edited by SpeedsterBek; 02-18-2015 at 09:17 PM.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Yes, the FF is here but I don't see them dirty here, aka "being used as a car"
    The options we would "abuse" should still be available, like a shotgun or pistol or are HID lights you can aim more dangerous.

I understand regulations and the ignorance of a majority of American drivers but people should have the options if they want them. We get garbage from Ford, Chevy and Chrysler. By garbage I mean; If Germany had a 350-454ci motor the power would be insane and it would get triple the 16-18mpg we get.

I'm not still in the honeymoon phase. I also see the stupid side of Europe just like I see the stupid side here (still looking for WMD's and a link to Iraq, corporate tax evasion and white collar crime that has become a spectator sport with little to no consequences for the perpetrators)
    I'm just jealous of things we could have to help me enjoy the daily drive more.

There's "better" out there and we get very little of it sometimes.

BTW, that Merc is our rental. Brand new and I hate driving it. So much about it is not Merc quality. It feels cheaply made and has lots of road noise, on Swiss roads no less. It's in the states now and that's great but what about the rest of the offerings?

I doubt our combined safety is the answer but if you all agree then I must be in the minority and I apologize for being a big baby.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    I'll trade you a tinfoiled Opel Astra F for any American muscle car. No problem
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    Ever since the Top Gear Episode with the Diesels going 800 miles or so, I have wanted a Jag XF with the 275hp diesel and 8 speed auto. 5.9 0-60 and 40mpg.
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    e10, e30,e85,UCK41, r56
    So, Alpina doesn't actually make an I8 variant, Mercedes sells the GLA in the States, as does Ferrari with the FF. What exactly are you asking Europe to "send over"?

'06 Tundra - Toy Hauler -- '89 325is, 24v Track Rat --'76 2002, Summer wannabe DD/restomod thing -- '03 Z4, GI Joe Roadster playset -- '01 R1100S, Beemer -- '07 Mini Cooper S -- '10 328xi

My Cars
    z3
    The options we would "abuse" should still be available, like a shotgun or pistol or are HID lights you can aim more dangerous.

I understand regulations and the ignorance of a majority of American drivers but people should have the options if they want them.
    No, we shouldn't. I get blinded enough as it is. I don't want to make it that much easier. Especially in my little convertible, any improperly (and some PROPERLY) aimed headlights blind me and ruin my nightvision. It is a legitimiately dangerous thing.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    We have all of those here except the tin-foil one. i8, GLA, and FF.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I know these cars above are in the states now but plenty more aren't. That Jag on top gear is a truly remarkable vehicle and many more are out there. I want access to them. Not have to pay federalzation fees access, ACCESS!

R36 Passat
    That opal vs your muscle car on these roads? Deal.
    VW Sirocco
    An Alpina specific dealership had the car, I can't even bring in an alpina e39 13 years after it was made, it's BS.

Small cars always deal with lights, its part of your head being 3' off the ground, deal with it. I learned to close one eye in the military. You might try it.

I can see most of you are happy with the stuff we get. I guess I want power and efficiency together. It exists and we don't get it, great.

The Ford Kuga diesel motor is made in Kansas but we don't get it. I drove one for 2 weeks bawls out and filled the tank 3 times including the rental return tank. Torque, speed, ample storage, 4x4 and efficient. You can buy the Ford escape hybrid and it still doesn't touch the Kuga. WTF?

VW Amarok with optional bad-arsed feet for snow duty
    I grew up on muscle. A friend lent me his Mercedes once and I learned a whole new world existed, power and cornering ability could exist in the same car. That was over 25 years ago. Since then it's been porsches and bimmers. I've seen features in my rental cars in Europe that take 5-10 years to hit the US. Why? It's like cell phones in Asia vs. the states. Dual sim, quad sim, 8 band, 25-35mp cameras etc. We get an iphone 6 and we're all giddy, because we don't collectively know any better.

I'm not afraid of stagnation but I certainly enjoy avoiding it. Whatever.

I took a road tonight that was so smooth, twisty, narrow and lined with cliffs on one side and rock faces on the other up through 400 year old swiss towns. No muscle car we had as kids would have touched this POS Merc SUV I'm forced to drive, and it's not even all that quick for a diesel.

You're probably right, we're better off not having cool stuff.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 02-19-2015 at 01:57 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    What advantage exactly do you think the adjustable-from-cockpit headlights offer to the driver? Why should I have to change my behaviour to account for others being irresponsible? Right now its not a big problem, but if such a feature existed, it would be much more widespread...

And here is why we don't get a lot of those cars summed up in one sentence:

Everyone wants them but nobody will actually buy them.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    What advantage exactly do you think the adjustable-from-cockpit headlights offer to the driver? (...)
    Never thought of it, but is this not a regular thing in the US?
    Most people on this forum (read: carguys and -girls) will be able to handle that feature, but most people on the street don't even know that that feature exists and have been driving around with the headlights turned all the way up for years... :/
    For example, my mother and het husband didn't know until I had to use their car a few months ago. I set the headlights lower and told them that I did so. They were both surprised that that was even possible. They are both educated and intelligent people. Just not even a bit interested in cars, like many people..
    Now I think of it; I can't adjust the headlights on my touring E30 from the cockpit anymore, but fixing that is not even on my to-do list
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    z3
    No its not regular in the US (to my knowledge, no US market cars have it at all), for exactly the reasons you mention... people driving with them in the "up" setting... what you mention is exactly the problem and exactly why I personally am happy we don't have that feature in the US. Nevermind my low-slung convertible, I'd probably be being blinded in my Tahoe if we had that feature here.

Closest we have is auto-leveling lights... and those are fine in my book.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G

My Cars
    E39 540I
    As examples;
    The alpina i8

This goofy Merc SUV

A dirty Ferrari

This thing
    I mean what government agencies are going to control your mind in this bad mamma-jamma?

You guys have no idea how lucky you are. As an Aussie we get shafted on whet gets imported into AUS. I would love to have access to the stuff you guys have, manual BMW's, M5's, classic Mustangs Camaros, Vettes. Yes we can get them, but not at the affordable prices you guys pay.

The only thing we get are the jap stuff like the GTR's and such, as I understand it, that's tricky for you guys.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by E39540V8 View Post
    The only thing we get are the jap stuff like the GTR's and such, as I understand it, that's tricky for you guys.
    Older GT-Rs are basically impossible to get here, but in a few years will be eligible by the 25 year import rule. We get current (R35) gen GT-Rs
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 02-20-2015 at 01:51 AM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Haifisch M3 View Post
    Dear Europe, learn how to build high performance cars for a reasonable pricethank you
    I agree. The M235I could be about $15k less in my book. But, see how older corvettes hold up after daily driving for 10 yrs vs a European car. There is a difference in build quality. It would be great to mix American muscle with Japanese reliability and European build quality (excluding the french) China bought Volvo so they're out.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    As examples;
    The alpina i8

This goofy Merc SUV

A dirty Ferrari

This thing

You haven't spent enough time in Europe. Most Euro cars are disposable crap wagons, you being an enthusiast are seeing what you want to see. The Euro roads are good in some places awful in others.
    Exotic cars are mostly coddled everywhere, you don't find dirty FFs on every street corner anywhere.
    Liberal speed limits? Not so, the unlimited AutoBahn perhaps but good luck finding a long stretch not throttled down to130KPH, if that, there is no more permanent unlimited. I don't know about where you live but speed laws around me are widely ignored, 55 = 75, IN THE RIGHT LANE. Get caught speeding in Europe and you won't likely get away with a warning either, the fines are meant to punish and they are doled out by speed cameras, no argument.
    I'd also like to know what you were driving at 90 MPH that got 40 MPG. The diesel MB I used last drank fuel like mad if you pushed it, fuel that was 3 times more expensive than home.
    Europeans being better drivers is also myth, especially on the AutoBahn.
    Taxes! Hah! I'll let the Euros here let you know what sort of taxes they pay.
    I'll admit that "Garagista" manufacturers are allowed there that could never manufacture here but few of them succeed anyway.
    Europhiles,
    Last edited by ross1; 02-20-2015 at 08:21 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Can't believe OP lives in Seattle and is complaining about the roads. Stop by the US East coast sometime for some truly enjoyable roads, you'll think Seattle roads are like glass in comparison. I recently heard a stat that NY city fills something like 30k potholes a year.

On lights, it helps if you look to the right and let your eyes fall on the white line there until the car passes. Try it sometime.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G
    I agree. The M235I could be about $15k less in my book. But, see how older corvettes hold up after daily driving for 10 yrs vs a European car. There is a difference in build quality. It would be great to mix American muscle with Japanese reliability and European build quality (excluding the french) China bought Volvo so they're out.
    Build quality is a different animal. Fords have much better, longer lasting door locks/ handles/ latches, power window mechanisms, hood latches, ignition switches and all kinds of other wear items than German cars.
    Engine, transmission, paint and rust resistance is the other way around. Germans cheap out on coolant components by using plastic garbage.

My Cars
    F10 530d & E34 520I
    Dear America, give us cars like Dodge Charger Hellcat, Cadillac Escalade, Camaro LS1, Large pickups with V8s and cheap gas. Give us wide highways and parking garages with proper spaces, give us all the motorized fun you have.

Edit:
    In fact we have a lot of American cars here in Norway, large SUVs, pickups and Corvettes but they are so expensive. A Camaro SS costs the same as an M4...
    Last edited by Fredrik 90; 02-20-2015 at 06:15 PM.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Escalade?! Seriously? What a pile of garbage. Get the GMC Yukon. Same basic truck but built better and without the, shall I say "urban" touch.
    The Kuga got 40mpg @90 mph.
    I don't drive the door latches or window regulators but you're right.
    Seattle streets are horrible. I replace my suspension parts, bushings, arms and linkages every 2-3 years.
    I guess we need a meeting of minds in the car world. Reduce regulatory costs on import/export and bring the best of all worlds together. It's 2015 for crap sake. If we don't have hover cars, at least let's have the next best thing, great cars.

My Cars
    E39 540I
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Older GT-Rs are basically impossible to get here, but in a few years will be eligible by the 25 year import rule. We get current (R35) gen GT-Rs
    R32 all the way