Thread: What the hell is that?...

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is

What the hell is that?...

I must have caught something in the road coming home on the freeway the other night. I ended up dragging a plastic shroud all the way home, and had to cut what was left of it off. I don't think I bottomed out, because I would have heard or felt something, which I really don't remember doing... anyways,... spilled milk. But I can't seem to find the parts in the diagrams on realoem.com. I have the word out for various parts I want at the wrecker, and figure I might as well add them to the list.

I thought it was a lower radiator fan shroud, but it isn't in any of the radiator group diagrams. Can anybody identify it by it's correct name so I can track it down? The two 8mm hex screws mounted it to a soft rubber part on each side which will have to be replaced as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by navvid; 02-18-2015 at 04:41 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Are you sure thats even from your car? No numbers or markings anywhere? Looks like its all one piece broken into two pieces, the left piece possibly connecting to a fenderwell. If I'd hazard a guess I'd think its an underbody panel.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Are you sure thats even from your car? No numbers or markings anywhere? Looks like its all one piece broken into two pieces, the left piece possibly connecting to a fenderwell. If I'd hazard a guess I'd think its an underbody panel.
    Yeah, it's from my car. It was one piece in the middle, which is where I think something caught it and ripped it back. I just cut the part of the fenderwell on the side where you see the screws, because it was already torn up beyond where it made sense to remove it by unbolting things, and the other side was just hanging by a piece of wiring harness that had been loomed through it. Like I said, I didn't even notice till I exited the freeway, and heard it dragging along the ground.

I looked through the body panel and underbody diagrams and couldn't find it either.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Probably in the 51 Group on RealOEM.com.

I'd look it up, but don't know if you have an E36 or E46.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3 Coupe
    Part of your air duct. I know cause I've had to butcher and repair mine twice on the way to fixing a failed hood release cable.

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/51/51_2048/ Parts 6,9,14?

Mine is more of a rubberized plastic but it has those same cutouts for AC plumbing/ electrical harness.

This probably also means you have little to zero under panel left.
    Last edited by sullypants1; 02-20-2015 at 11:46 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by sullypants1 View Post
    Part of your air duct. I know cause I've had to butcher and repair mine twice on the way to fixing a failed hood release cable.

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/51/51_2048/ Parts 6,9,14?

Mine is more of a rubberized plastic but it has those same cutouts for AC plumbing/ electrical harness.

This probably also means you have little to zero under panel left.
    Yeah, its 6, 9 and 14. But the part numbered 14 in the picture doesn't have the wide flat X impression that I have on mine. That's what threw me before when looking at other parts diagrams.

As far as I can tell, those were the only parts that were damaged. Maybe I need to take a closer look...

My Cars
    hiss by my window

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Bingo. You da MAN Ross.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I think that the piece that is bolted to it is about 18-24 inches long and goes up the side of the radiator. yours is broken off.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    I think that the piece that is bolted to it is about 18-24 inches long and goes up the side of the radiator. yours is broken off.
    You are correct. And I'm hoping that's all that broke (and some wires).

Thanks for the input everyone.

Cheers