Thread: Buying Advice on e36 with nearly 200k miles

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i

Buying Advice on e36 with nearly 200k miles

So i've been looking to buy a BMW just not a newer model. I live in pretty boring place and there's not that many older BMWs around. In fact there's only one within 100 miles of me. A e36 BMW 328i sedan with nearly 200k miles. The dealership says its been "well maintained" but what should well maintained mean? New cooling system? up to date fluid and oil changes? Also could someone give me some advice on the average cost for maintenance and whether its possible for it to reach 300k?

I provided pictures if it helps
    http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars...e-la-250837670

My Cars
    z3
    That price for that car with that mileage is absurd. You can fly out to California and drive one back or get it shipped back and still end up cheaper than that one and have something with lower miles. People on the forum are great people and will check out a potential car for you and sometimes even help arrange a PPI. I would pass a million times on that car for that price.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ
    Air freshener hanging on the rear view mirror is a bad omen. Trust me. Pass on everyone of them.

Seriously, this is a $2k car.

My Cars
    2011 bmw 328i coupe
    Yeah e36's are cheap now, don't pay that much. lol
    2011 328i coupe 6mt

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    So if i were to buy this car, what would be a reasonable price because the dealership just dropped it $3000

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    3k doesn't sound too bad, since it's a dealership. Interior seems to be nice. Try to get it out the door (with tax title andother fees) for 3k
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    I agree it is nice. I'm sure i can talk them down even lower. What my concern is mileage and maintenance because i've never owned a e36.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I have to agree with mhunter this looks like a 2k car to me e36s are very well built but milage is milage and all cars have their demons. The E 36 burns through's front end suspension parts the cooling system parts like it's going out if style so that's something to look at especially the lower control arms and bushings as that is the most common failure this can be identified relatively easily by a good test drive feel for wheels shimmy and shimmy under braking. Also the VANOS should be VERY carefully inspected at 200k especially if it has not been rebuilt or has sat for some time.
    With the hood open listen to the very front left of the engine, this is the variable valve timing assembly(VANOS) listen for rattling noises at idle and on the let off of an engine rev to 3000rpm also pay very close attention to the idle see if it drops every 30 seconds or so slightly as this can mean seal failure in the module.
    The e36 is my favorite car but I say this because if you aren't doing the work yourself on the car the shops will nuke your wallet for these repairs. I purchased my car in horrible shape for $1400 and needed all of these things and much more but I do the work myself and can't imagine if I didn't. But regardless good luck if you can get a good one they are IMO one of the beat cars ever!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    *best

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    We have a few e36's in the family, all with over 200k miles, some with at or just over 300k miles that are driven regularly. 200k miles on a 17 year old car is just under 12k miles a year which is fairly low.

I believe it is possible to reach 500k miles if proactive maintenance is performed aggressively. When buying a car approaching twenty years old you have to assume it will need everything mentioned by yourself and others above. Also, it is safe to assume that the dealership is lying to you about the vehicles maintenance history unless they can produce receipts and work logs which can be verified by the person whom performed the work. Ask where the vehicle came from --was it a trade in or was it obtained through an auction? If it was a trade in the prior owner should be able to produce receipts and work logs for the vehicles maintenance history, or at least be able to state where the maintenance was performed so you can verify. If the vehicle was purchased at auction the dealership most likely does not know the prior owner and is most likely not being forthright with you.

One more thing to remember is that the check engine light can be temporarily turned off by clearing the codes or permanently turned off by pulling the bulb behind the dash.

Having the luxury of a lift, work space and proper tools, I would much rather purchase a rust and accident free $500-$1,000 e36 and bring it back to life vs. spend $3,000-$5,000 on the unknown.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    There are tell tale signs both interior and exterior that can make one think a car has been maintained well. While the dealer certainly has incentive to lie, I wouldn't necessarily assume they are...though it's something to keep in mind. Does the dealer offer any sort of warranty? A "good" used car dealership may offer a 30 or 90 day warranty on cars they sell.

You might be thinking a PPI isn't worth doing on a $3k car, but I think a PPI is worth it on almost any car. You may find that your $3k car will very quickly need $2k or more in repairs.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.