Thread: Basic question

My Cars
    2005, 325xi Sedan

Basic question

My 2005 325xi has begun to heat up slowly. I am guessing the thermostat needs replacing. I would appreciate
    any confirmation or other information.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by Armorg View Post
    My 2005 325xi has begun to heat up slowly. I am guessing the thermostat needs replacing. I would appreciate
    any confirmation or other information.
    By heat up slowly, do you mean going slowly from normal temperature into the red? When you start and idle, does it warm up normally, and reach a stable temperature before you start driving? Or does it slowly overheat once you're out on the road?...

My Cars
    2005, 325xi Sedan

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by navvid View Post
    By heat up slowly, do you mean going slowly from normal temperature into the red? When you start and idle, does it warm up normally, and reach a stable temperature before you start driving? Or does it slowly overheat once you're out on the road?...
    I don't warm it up. It doesn't go into the red... it never gets to the middle position on the gauge. My E46 wagon heats up quicker and others I have owned seemed to also. It just seems that it is taking forever. Appreciate any help.

My Cars
    z3
    Thermostat would definitely be my suspicion. If you don't know the last time you've done it, do it now.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2005, 325xi Sedan
    It's only got 42k on it but I guess being 11 y/o anything could go. Thanks.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    I would agree that the thermostat is highly suspect, and replacement should be your 1st course of action. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. If not, further troubleshooting will be necessary.

Does the car run fine other than that? You might want to check if all the headers are heating up after a cold start. Just pop your hood before you start it in the morning, and immediately after just lightly feel each header to make sure they are all heating up evenly. If the car doesn't exhibit any other symptoms, your problem is probably not here, but it's a quick and easy way to make sure you are firing on all cylinders.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Does the car run fine other than that? You might want to check if all the headers are heating up after a cold start. Just pop your hood before you start it in the morning, and immediately after just lightly feel each header to make sure they are all heating up evenly. If the car doesn't exhibit any other symptoms, your problem is probably not here, but it's a quick and easy way to make sure you are firing on all cylinders.
    If he has a misfire, it will manifest itself in a lot more obvious ways. Namely a check engine light. No need to overcomplicate things.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    If he has a misfire, it will manifest itself in a lot more obvious ways. Namely a check engine light. No need to overcomplicate things.
    Like I said, probably not the problem, but just a thought for your consideration.

My Cars
    2005, 325xi Sedan
    The car runs great. I made an apt to get the thermostat replaced. Thanks!

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    +1 BMWs dont behave like that... misfires will be obvious and will throw codes
    Like I said, probably not the problem, but just a thought for your consideration.
    Aren't you brand new to BMWs? I know you realllly want your 100 posts but please refrain from posting on topics you aren't well versed...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!