Thread: e90 is almost totaled, what to do?

My Cars
    e90 328xi, 97 M3, 98 M3

e90 is almost totaled, what to do?

I was rear ended by a drunk driver in my e90 328xi. 54k on it in excellent condition. Got the estimate back from the dealership. $10k worth of damage. Cars worth about $17k I owe $14k on it yet. I dont know what to do with the car. I have insurance and so does the guy who hit me. Its drivable. Do I fix it myself and use the extra money I saved on labor for upgrades? Have the dealership bring it back to spec? Somehow figure out how I can total it out and buy a new bmw? and if i can total it out, what would the buy back cost be? Im concerned about diminished value and the resale of the car in a few years. And I also worry about me working on it and not getting it back to factory specs with paint and matching lines from any metal repair. I have a race shop and know bmws inside and out. What is everybodys thoughts?

ForumRunner_20150210_190851.png
    "THE LAST OPEN ROAD"

My Cars
    z3
    Like 90% of those questions only your insurance can accurately answer...

If the damage doesnt pervade to the rear 1/4s or etc then I'd buy it back and repair it, should only need a new trunk, bumper unit and lights...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    e90 328xi, 97 M3, 98 M3
    The trunk frame and rear quarter is messed up.
    "THE LAST OPEN ROAD"

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Why not just let the insurance company get it fixed and keep driving it?

Rear enders like that rarely cause any future driveability issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    It's not like insurance is going to cut *you* a check to do the repairs. Run the claim by them, let them handle the process with the drunk's insurance company (sure hope you took the time for a full police report) and see where it takes you.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxDreamer View Post
    It's not like insurance is going to cut *you* a check to do the repairs. Run the claim by them, let them handle the process with the drunk's insurance company (sure hope you took the time for a full police report) and see where it takes you.
    What do you mean insurance won't cut you a check? Not sure about the other state laws, but here in Maryland, insurance will pay you directly if you want. I always prefer that instead of them paying the shop. OP should check if he can be reimbursed for diminished resale value- which should make it enough to total the car. Even if they don't total it, you can take the check, sell the car as is and buy another new car you planned. In any case, the other party is liable, and I hope you hired a lawyer too.
    Last edited by SpeedsterBek; 02-12-2015 at 09:46 AM.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    Sorry, had a brain fart...

My Cars
    z3
    Insurance always cuts the owner the check directly, at least every time I've had to use it - in both Virginia and Arizona. Never personally heard of a situation where insurance pays the shop directly or at the very least the owner doesn't have the option to have a check cut for them.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    e90 328xi, 97 M3, 98 M3
    Insurance cut me a check for $11k. So I figure ill fix it myself. Now I just need a donor car.
    "THE LAST OPEN ROAD"

My Cars
    z3
    Thats a fat check for a relatively easy repair! Buy the parts used, you can easily get that fixed to excellent condition for ~$4k imo

The bumper can be repaired, you'll probably only have to buy a trunk, tail lights, and maybe the bumper shocks underneath the bumper.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    e90 328xi, 97 M3, 98 M3
    I found parts for about $1000. Minor "b" frame body work, and touch up paint. The rest of the check will be for upgrades. Or find a donor car and build another track car?
    "THE LAST OPEN ROAD"

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    My ex girlfriend 's car got hit in a big multi car freeway accident. The estimate was more than half the bluebook, so her insurance totaled it out, cut her a check and she kept the car. the hood and headlights were toast, but the radiator survived and there was only minor front end frame damage. I got a dent puller, a copper striking hammer, a claw hammer (made her buy me the tools) and her biggest, fattest room mate to help me pull and bang on the frame until it was straight enough, replaced the hood and headlights, and the car ran good as new for her until I helped her trade it in on a Civic Hybrid. She loved me for that... actually bought me the R6 not long after. I miss her...

Sorry,... anyhow, I'd get them to cut you a check (which they will), fix it as cheep as you can, and drive it till the wheels fall off.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Good lord take the check and go buy a decent car and forget you ever had a E90.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    e90 328xi, 97 M3, 98 M3
    Lol. I still owe $9k on it. And its my winter car.
    "THE LAST OPEN ROAD"

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by type4 View Post
    Lol. I still owe $9k on it. And its my winter car.
    Thanks for reminding me why I buy used...!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Thanks for reminding me why I buy used...!
    +1

I refuse to buy a new car or computer. Too much depreciation...
    Last edited by navvid; 02-14-2015 at 09:30 PM.

My Cars
    Montego 135i/6
    what. A computer is something I would never buy used...
    2009 135i/6 | Cobb Stg 2+ | VRSF Downpipes | aFe Intake | Evolution Intercooler | Evolution CP | Apex ARC8s | BMW Performance Spoiler | Carbon Fiber

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpstaty5y View Post
    what. A computer is something I would never buy used...
    I frankenstein all my computers from parts other people get rid of.