Thread: Cheap windshields

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is

Cheap windshields

Any body have a line on cheap windshields? My uncle in the glass business says his cost was around $60 for aftermarket glass, and I think the trim is around $17-20. My windshield's got one long crack across from the top to the bottom near the middle on the passenger side. I'd like to change it out, but I need to do it as cheap as possible.

Also, there is the long piece of weatherstripping at the bottom beneath the wipers that gets old and cracked. The glass guys say they usually just reuse it, but I don't like the idea of water getting in the cracks and crevices, as I have had another car chassis start to rust in places like that to the point where it is not worth repairing and I had to ditch the car. If it's one of those ounce of prevention things, I'd like to know.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Go to your uncle? Or are you looking for something cheaper than $80?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    e36 - 1998 323is
    But realistically, how much are you looking to spend? $75.00?
    1998 323is - m50 intake manifold / 328is exhaust / Shark Injector

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    No, I knew the price was good. I was just checking in with the guys who have probably had to replace a few. I didn't want to make anyone mad... That, and yes, I am a cheapskate. Frankly, it's a necessity for me.

Also, I kind of don't want to go to my uncle. If I do, he won't want to take money, and I don't want him to work for free, so it turns into this whole big thing (it's a Persian thing). He's getting old, and he works so hard...

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this was a bit of a futile thread, but I'm trying to reach 100 posts so I can have an avatar.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by navvid View Post
    yes, I am a cheapskate.
    That goes hand in hand with being a good BMW owner

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    That goes hand in hand with being a good BMW owner
    Again, by necessity, huh Brkr?

- - - Updated - - -

Come on Brkr, talk to me... I'm pretty close to that avatar...

I've not had good luck with the Safelite windshields in my E36. After four of them cracked within minutes to days of installation without provocation, I insisted on a different brand of glass. Safelite installed a Pilkington windshield, and so far, so good.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
    I've not had good luck with the Safelite windshields in my E36. After four of them cracked within minutes to days of installation without provocation, I insisted on a different brand of glass. Safelite installed a Pilkington windshield, and so far, so good.
    Thanks for your input. This was the other reason I posted this thread. I know the quality of aftermarket parts can vary dramatically, and I was hoping for recommendations and any other thoughts that may be relevant. That way, if I am going to buy a cheap piece of glass, at least I can buy the best available cheap piece of glass (or at least not the worst). So avoid Safelite, got it.

Cheers M3bs

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Anybody ever change one themselves? I've seen my uncle and his guys do it on other cars, and it obviously isn't rocket science. I should be able to use his tools.

Are there any specifics I need to know about BMW windshield replacement? Quirks, tricks or things to be aware of? Again, I'd like to avoid asking my uncle. He has too much to worry about, and is the kind of guy who will drop anything he is doing to help me despite.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Anybody ever change one themselves? I've seen my uncle and his guys do it on other cars, and it obviously isn't rocket science. I should be able to use his tools.

Are there any specifics I need to know about BMW windshield replacement? Quirks, tricks or things to be aware of? Again, I'd like to avoid asking my uncle. He has too much to worry about, and is the kind of guy who will drop anything he is doing to help me despite.
    Yeah, the windshield replacement is not something you want to DIY. Leave it to the pros. Or have your uncle do it, and slip him a benjamin or two, even if he refuses to take your money.

In some Middle Eastern cultures (mine included), it's customary to not take the money right away. You have to be a bit persistent when you're giving the money, sort of slip money in his pocket and run if he tries to give it back.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsterBek View Post
    Yeah, the windshield replacement is not something you want to DIY. Leave it to the pros.
    I vaguely suspected as much... Thanks for the input.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53,
    Nah... Windshields are easy to swap out... Go to heb and buy 8 packs of sugar free bubble gum, and a hammer. Bust out your old windshield with a hammer. Chew all the gum at once, hope you don't choke and use that to secure the windshield.. Oh don't forget the blue tape.
    I hope the admin raises the avatar posts to 250 for you I enjoy ready these past few lols...
    2003 X5 4.6is - for sale
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress - for sale
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff - for sale
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped
    www.87chevy.com

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    Nah... Windshields are easy to swap out... Go to heb and buy 8 packs of sugar free bubble gum, and a hammer. Bust out your old windshield with a hammer. Chew all the gum at once, hope you don't choke and use that to secure the windshield.. Oh don't forget the blue tape.
    I hope the admin raises the avatar posts to 250 for you I enjoy ready these past few lols...
    Can I use duct tape and laffy taffy?

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    I'm Lebanese, so I can relate to the friends and family who won't take your money - Trust me though, go to your uncle and do something to return the favor like get him a gift or bring him food a bunch of times to make up for it. Ultimately the quality of a windshield install comes down to a couple factors: The skill/experience of the installer and the care he puts into the installation. If he's in the business of doing windshields, he obviously is experienced and knows what he's doing. Since you're his nephew, he'll take his time and be especially careful to make sure your install goes well. Tell him something like "at the very least let me pay for the cost of the part" and then also bring him lunch a couple times. He's definitely buying the windshield cheaper than you can find it anywhere else if that's his business and the install isn't something you want to do yourself.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    $60 ain't cheap enough for you?

- - - Updated - - -

No, I knew the price was good. I was just checking in with the guys who have probably had to replace a few. I didn't want to make anyone mad... That, and yes, I am a cheapskate. Frankly, it's a necessity for me.

Also, I kind of don't want to go to my uncle. If I do, he won't want to take money, and I don't want him to work for free, so it turns into this whole big thing (it's a Persian thing). He's getting old, and he works so hard...

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this was a bit of a futile thread, but I'm trying to reach 100 posts so I can have an avatar.
    So cut his lawn for him.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Kuttek Works.

These guys are in San Leandro. Replaced my windshield both times. Good work. Inexpensive.