Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Cars
    Several
    I assume you meant unleaded gas and not leaded gas in your post.

You are determined to get your X5 running. I admire your determination.

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5
    will308, I would recommend buying an X5 for your daughter, I would look for a low mileage car. When you do, replace the DISA valve and fuel filter. This is a great SUV, better than anything I've ever driven unless 4 wheeling. Very solid and safe car.

I think as long as we understand that some of the plastic parts have a life expectancy and will fail over time and must be replaced, if we replace them before there's a problem then we can expect a long lasting good running car and a satisfied BMW owner.

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5
    What a great experience this was, I have learned a lot about this M54 motor and how to diagnose future problems.

I got my cylinder back cleaned, bead blasted, new exhaust valves, new seals and checked for warpage and the surface cleaned.

I cleaned the cams, cam trays and the block mating surface and pistons.

I replaced the coolant tubes, temp sensor on rear of cylinder and crank position sensor, knock sensor assembly and intake cam position sensor too.

Cleaned with compressed air and chased all head to block bolt threads.

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5
    I rubbed Marvels Mystery Oil in all 6 cylinders and rotated the crank several times to spread the oil around. I cleaned both mating surfaces with rubbing alcohol then placed the head gasket on the block checking for fit. Of course it's correct.

I installed the cylinder, we lightly placed special bolt assembly lube on each bolt before installing. We tightened then torqued to spec in sequence then 90% angle torqued x2 on every bolt. I then vacuumed packed the lifters one at a time to keep them in proper order and put them back into cam trays. I placed magnets over the lifters to holt them in place then put each cam tray in place then removed the magnets. I put assembly lube on all contact surfaces and put the bearing caps back on. I followed the Bentley camshaft installation procedure, rotating crank 30 degrees off counter clockwise to TDC, then installed cam bearings and nuts and torqued to spec.

I followed instructions for timing chain and sprocket, then installed the cam chain and sprockets and bolts and torqued to spec. I had purchase the M54 cam timing tool and it worked perfectly. The only problem was getting the flywheel lock pin back out took several hours. I then cut off 1/2" to make it go back in and out better.

The VANOS bolted right back up, I poured a full quart of Synth Oil over the camshafts and fitted the valve cover back on. I cleaned the Intake Manifold and put on a new red gasket and bottled and torqued to spec. I put new idler pullies and belts on, and new thermostat housing and new hoses and lower temp sensor.

I put a new electric fan on as well, the old one burned up when I got home after the valve burned up..

I ditched the oil catch can after starting the engine and saw oil filling up the clear tube on the can, worried it would get sucked into the intake I stopped the engine and decided to reinstall the original CCV system but run longer hoses so I could place the Oil Separator in a more accessible location. I reinstalled the return tube to the dip stick as the system was originally.

I must say I am very excited to have successfully completed this project without having any major problems or screw-ups! It took a lot of patience and resolve but with the right tools and divine guidance I feel It was a major success. I did this with my son (25) and it became a great project to work together on and do a little father son bonding and developing patience with each other. I must also say, before I put the Intake Manifold on, I was having trouble reaching the crank position sensor and my wife climbed up on the engine bay and reached it and replaced the part and bolt for me. Im so proud of her. I took pics of her stratalling my engine compartment reaching for the Crank Sensor, but I can't post them here, she will not be happy with me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2008 X5 3.0 si
    This was a great read! I am new here. I just bought my first BMW. It is a 2008 X5 3.0si. I hope to learn a lot more about it by reading stories like this. Good job!

My Cars
    BMW X5, Lotus
    A misfire to these engines does not means a coil or spark plug is bad. A misfire to these engines is determined by the DME when it compares the rotation speed of each cylinders (Yeah the computer can perform this task). A cylinder that does not produce the power to rotate the crank as compare with the other cylinders is interpreted by the computer as a misfire even though the spark plug and coil are good. Too bad I don't visit this forum as often as I use to do. I would have suggested you perform a compression test to determine the health of the engine. Might have save you from throwing parts like 02 sensors at it.
    Last edited by upallnight; 06-12-2015 at 04:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSR5 View Post
    Hate to admit it but attack_eagle is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofBavaria View Post
    ............. then upallnight has probably got it right
    Spirit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12