Thread: 2005 Z4 Belt question

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4

2005 Z4 Belt question

I was told I need a new AC belt and Alternator belt for my Z4. Being that my car is 10 yrs old I no longer take it to BMW but rather to the Pep Boys which is conveniently located near me and is cheaper.

Pep boys told me that the AC belt (parts) costs $34.72 and Alternator belt costs $56.14
    Labor to install the AC belt is $94.50 and labor for alternator is $115.50

After reading some posts regarding similar questions, I noticed that some people said that the difficulty level on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being the most difficult) to change the belts is a 2.

I'm wondering if they are over-charging me for labor. The guy at Pep Boys told me they have to change the AC belt because it overlaps or something of that nature with the Alternator Belt. I have had issues with Pep Boys before (telling me I needed to have work done that wasn't necessarily urgent) and am now very skeptical of them. It seems this job won't take longer than an hour and $200 labor for an hour for a Pep Boys Mechanic seems a bit much. Am I being ridiculous or is this a fair price to pay.

Oh.. I'm also being charged $19.99 for an evaluation fee. When I add it all up (without tax) comes to $320.85. Pep Boys told me the total is $366.60 not sure where he got the total from but I will inquire as soon as someone sets me straight regarding the amount I'm being charged.

I'm a girl so I think they see "sucker" stamped on my forehead when they see me coming... I know zero about cars.

Please help!

My Cars
    z3
    Just do it yourself, its not that hard... cut the old belts off and adjust the tensioner to get the new ones on. Unless you enjoy feeling like you are getting screwed every time you need work done on the car...

The AC belt is right in front of the accessory (alternator) belt but I don't think they will really NEED to do both belts at once, they should be able to slide the accessory belt around the A/C belt. I just did both these belts on my own Z4 because they both needed doing, Im about to go work some more on this money pit and will report back if the belts can be done independantly

Youll need to take the A/C belt off to do the other belt but I dont see why if the A/C belt is good they cant just take it off and put it back on after. I would recommend finding a local BMW indy to do it. From what I was looking at the difficulty is getting access more than anything else. I did my belts when the engine was out.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 02-05-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    You could also ask in your local sub-board for a mechanic in your area that works on modern bmw's. Not to impugn upon Pep Boys, but I'm sure there are independents in your area that others trust.

My z4 is older than 10 years old and I don't see what that has to do with not taking it to a competent mechanic that you trust.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/pep_boys.htm
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I'd find be a good independent (indy) shop that specializes in BMWs, or will is primarily on BMWs. Also, check with the local BMWCCA chapter. I'm sure that there's a shop in your area.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    There shouldn't be a separate labor charge for the A/C belt if they're doing the alternator belt, since the A/C belt has to come off in order to replace the alternator belt. The prices they gave you were if one were to ask them to replace only the A/C belt, and only the Alternator belt. The $115 price in their book includes the labor for the alternator belt and the A/C belt.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 02-06-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4
    I brought my Z4 to a local indy today just because I asked them to do vehicle inspection. They checked everything including the body work for me without charging me a fee. The guy quoted: Serpentine $17.46 and Drive belt $41.33 plus tax, labor for two belts $89.10. I went online and checked the parts by numbers on the quote, same Serpentine is only $8.43 and Drive Belt is only $17.36. You can DIY if you know how. Mine is 2005 2.5L, just past her 10-year-old mark in February.