Thread: What's up with Rally Road Extreme Duty Transmission Brace

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster

What's up with Rally Road Extreme Duty Transmission Brace

On their website it is sold out, price is $124.95 , http://www.rallyroad.net/content/ext...smission-brace

On their ebay store, in stock for $449.95 , http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M3-Extre...2c81f0&vxp=mtr

What's up with that?
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Call Eric. I'm sure that he will fix the issue.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You can also weld a strip of aluminum across the underside of the stock mount.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I don't see why that part would ever need upgraded. You will destroy the rubber mounts way before the cross piece breaks.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    I don't see why that part would ever need upgraded. You will destroy the rubber mounts way before the cross piece breaks.
    When you have e36s boosted making 4-6x the amount of torque it was originally made for you'll be surprised to see what breaks. We're lucky to have these goodies available to those who need it.

My Cars
    z3
    OP I'm curious what power figures you are putting down or what mods you have planned to want such an item? Just curious
    Quote Originally Posted by e30kid89 View Post
    When you have e36s boosted making 4-6x the amount of torque it was originally made for you'll be surprised to see what breaks. We're lucky to have these goodies available to those who need it.
    Unlikely to need it on an N/A S52 build though... this part is way overkill without putting down some serious numbers imo

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    OP I'm curious what power figures you are putting down or what mods you have planned to want such an item? Just curious, Unlikely to need it on an N/A S52 build though... this part is way overkill without putting down some serious numbers imo
    I probably wont NEED one in reality. I might track my car some, or have some spirited driving... When it's all said and done I'll probably be putting down around 300-280HP at the crank. But upgrading suspension is always a good idea. -- This part does break ALLOT on guys that have boost or autocross, even been known to break on N/A Z's on the track. I'm just the kind of person that likes to upgrade the weakest link.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    z3
    This part is far from the weakest link. Start with the trunk floor particularly with a Z3, and go from there... the trunkfloor is by far the weakest point in these cars

Even at 300hp I don't think you'll need to upgrade this piece but that's just my opinion I've never heard of anyone doing these on a N/A build (not saying it hasn't been done, but certainly not very common). If it can hold the ~315hp S54 then it can probably hold what you've got planned.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    This part is far from the weakest link. Start with the trunk floor particularly with a Z3, and go from there... the trunkfloor is by far the weakest point in these cars.
    How can up upgrade the dif/mount/subfloor with out ripping open the trunk and doing a Randy Forbes complete re-weld? I have checked my subframe so far it looks good, if I see signs of failure, I will drop the money for sure tho...

My Cars
    z3
    You really can't... the RF kit is the best kit out there and in the roadsters the job is much less intrusive. I'll be doing it to a coupe soon and its much more of a PITA on those cars. But the trunkfloor is definitely the weak link in those cars, I wouldn't even look at doing something like this brace without doing the rear first.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Funny thing is I was doing some research on the RF kit, and it led me to this brace. The Z is known to have a little wobble in the middle, so I figured it might help with this and to some degree the faulty rear welds (a little) IDK. --So many of there cars fail, I read about a couple class action law suits, did that ever go anywhere? Seems like BMWNA needs to be paying for this failure...

My Cars
    z3
    BMWNA has not and will not pay for it. The only repairs BMWNA has done involved replacing the bad trunkfloor with an identical piece or in Europe a supposedly slightly reinforced piece but that fails at give or take the same rate. And now with the cars 15 years old they definitely won't be paying for it. I have never heard of nor experienced looseness in the 10+ Z3's I have owned, both roadsters and now a coupe in my garage. Stiffer trans/engine mounts should take care of any "looseness" one feels at the cost of NVH. The trans brace isn't going to be flexing especially with a stock or near-stock power level N/A engine so I'm not sure how that piece will lead to looseness...

Stiffening stuff elsewhere in the drivetrain as I see it is only likely to exacerbate the trunkfloor problem since you are taking the "slack" out of the rest of the system.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 02-05-2015 at 12:01 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS