Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I take back everything I said...

My Cars
    98 M3
    When you walk in here with your mouth flapping about your coolness getting a ticket for 121 mph on a public road, or being faster than a new m3 because you are " a faster driver" you are going to get some criticism. I've seen enough peoples wives, kids, brothers, sisters and parents being killed by people driving like assholes. No one who has a brain on here supports that kind of crap. Sign up for a track day and chill out.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    This is the general forum in which there are a lot if people who don't care about speed or performance. A kill would be best received in the kill forum. Forced induction in the FI forum. Maintenance and drivetrain modding in the E36 M3 forum. Etc.

My Cars
    97 318i, 00 f350 +++
    driving a car that is over 10 years old at that kind of speed is extremely dangerous.

by the sounds of things you dont know that car well enough to determine if it is in good enough condition to hold together at that speed. if its been tracked without proper maintenance even worse

if you look into it you will find an abundance of stories of e36 rear trailing arms bursting from the rear subframes under extreme load (like driving an old car thats been raced and twisted over 100) some of these stories have worse endings then others. when it happened to me i almost died i was in a neck brace for 5 months and that was only a 318 and i was aware the subframe was not 100%. lesson learned, the hard way i wouldnt recommend to or wish that on anyone and i think thats why your catching so much criticism .... just my 2 cents.....
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ny-sedan-parts
    e36 parts for sale

"n if your plan fell through a few times let me tell you one of the main ingredients of success is failure"

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    I likes these threads.

I'm taking sides with the crotch racer.

School zone = floor it.
    Last edited by Butters Stoch; 02-06-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I likes these threads.

I'm taking sides with the crotch racer.

School zone = floor it.
    Helpful.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    When you walk in here with your mouth flapping about your coolness getting a ticket for 121 mph on a public road, or being faster than a new m3 because you are " a faster driver" you are going to get some criticism. I've seen enough peoples wives, kids, brothers, sisters and parents being killed by people driving like assholes. No one who has a brain on here supports that kind of crap. Sign up for a track day and chill out.
    I have no DUI's, an M-class, and have never caused an injury accident. I take the road very seriously, and always think about what I am doing, and the very calculated risks I take (of which I am taking far fewer these days). I would appreciate it if you would not condemn me for the mistakes of others, as I would extend you the same courtesy.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, if you are all done beating me like a long dead horse, does anyone have anything positive to say? Are there any other people out there who just want to talk tech and refine our machines?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ogkush420 View Post
    driving a car that is over 10 years old at that kind of speed is extremely dangerous.

by the sounds of things you dont know that car well enough to determine if it is in good enough condition to hold together at that speed. if its been tracked without proper maintenance even worse

if you look into it you will find an abundance of stories of e36 rear trailing arms bursting from the rear subframes under extreme load (like driving an old car thats been raced and twisted over 100) some of these stories have worse endings then others. when it happened to me i almost died i was in a neck brace for 5 months and that was only a 318 and i was aware the subframe was not 100%. lesson learned, the hard way i wouldnt recommend to or wish that on anyone and i think thats why your catching so much criticism .... just my 2 cents.....
    Thank you for you two cents. Your advice is both taken into consideration, and appreciated. The respectful tone and clear good intentions separate your reply from the others who clearly have never learned a hard lesson about watching the way they talk to people they don't know. I have not suffered as severe an injury as the you have, but having laid down a few bikes, and at least once at freeway speeds, I have my scars to show as well. I have nothing to prove. I earned my metal with blood, sweat, tears and my own hard earned money, gentlemen. And when they have gone down, I picked them back up and put them back together myself.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by navvid View Post
    does anyone have anything positive to say?
    I admire your ability to simultaneously acknowledge that your driving behavior is irresponsible while also insisting it is completely safe.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I admire your ability to simultaneously acknowledge that your driving behavior is irresponsible while also insisting it is completely safe.
    I never said, let alone insisted, that any of this was completely safe, nor did I characterize myself as irresponsible. I'll leave that to you guys since you feel the need so desperately. If you are going be adversarial, and give back handed compliments when I am trying to steer things back in a positive direction, at least have the decency not to put words in my mouth. Once again, I would extend you the same courtesy.

My Cars
    2010 335i
    I think that even if you were to post in the kills section, you would still get roughed up a little bit. It's a tough crowd in there!
    Welcome to the fold!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
    I think that even if you were to post in the kills section, you would still get roughed up a little bit. It's a tough crowd in there!
    Welcome to the fold!
    Thanks horns. I did post it in the kills section, as per the request of someone in this thread, and I did get roughed up a bit. Funny, I started to think one of the guys must be the one with the M3 who I butt hurt out on the road. It's alright though, my skin's thicker than it used to be. I've been called worse than idiot, and suffered far more severe disrespect...

Frankly, I find it highly revealing that the people who have been "roughing me up" have clearly and repeatedly violated every one of the rules of this forum, which are posted at the top of the board with the words "read before posting".
    - - - Updated - - -

Do you guys realize, that some of you took two sentences that I mentioned anecdotally in passing as I was trying to explain what I'd like out of my car in terms of tuning, highjacked this thread and turned it into your own personal soap box from which to shake your finger at me? Give it a rest.

To quote a group of great men, "Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?"
    Last edited by navvid; 02-06-2015 at 06:36 PM.

My Cars
    97 318i, 00 f350 +++
    lol that was awesome

where i live if you get caught that far over the speed limit you dont simply get a ticket. they charge you with stunt driving, impound your car at the side of the road as well as suspend your licence, again at the side of the road.

if you wreck that car at over 100 (i did and again that was a 4cyl) there wont be much of it left to "pick up and put back together" and youll be lucky if they are picking you up and putting you back together.

also a year after that incident a good friend of mine had a head on collision with a tandem dump truck at only 60mph. his heart exploded on impact and he died instantly they had to cut the roof off of it to pull his body out. the driver of the dump truck lost his marbles. i walked away he died instantly and i was being way more stupid then him....

we can be friends everyone here is a gearhead, loves there car and loves driving it the way they are intended to be driven. the key is not doing it on public streets around other people. i dont care if you endanger yourself to be honest. do whatever the fuck you want but dont endanger the lives of others in the process.....
    Last edited by ogkush420; 02-06-2015 at 09:50 PM.
    e36 parts for sale

"n if your plan fell through a few times let me tell you one of the main ingredients of success is failure"

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    You know guys, I'm getting kinda tired of this. I think I've been polite and and admitted my faults about as much as I care to. I grew up poor, and was a public school teacher out of college until I lost my job, then a machinist supporting American industry until I got laid off because there wasn't enough work. I have been a public servant and served this country more than my fair share, earned my stripes on the streets wherever I could, and if you don't like it you can kiss my hairy Iranian ass. Making track days regularly is not a luxury you can afford when you are working three jobs to put yourself through school, or graduate into the worst economy this country has seen in a century. So you run when and where you can, in what you can afford. And so I have raced where I could since I could, just like my metaphorical forefathers before me.

- - - Updated - - -

lol that was awesome

where i live if you get caught that far over the speed limit you dont simply get a ticket. they charge you with stunt driving, impound your car at the side of the road as well as suspend your licence, again at the side of the road.

if you wreck that car at over 100 (i did and again that was a 4cyl) there wont be much of it left to "pick up and put back together" and youll be lucky if they are picking you up and putting you back together.

also a year after that incident a good friend of mine had a head on collision with a tandem dump truck at only 60mph. his heart exploded on impact and he died instantly they had to cut the roof off of it to pull his body out. the driver of the dump truck lost his marbles. i walked away he died instantly and i was being way more stupid then him....

we can be friends everyone here is a gearhead, loves there car and loves driving it the way they are intended to be driven. the key is not doing it on public streets around other people. i dont care if you endanger yourself to be honest. do whatever the fuck you want but dont endanger the lives of others in the process.....
    ogkush, note rule no 1 of this forum, and save your further stories stories and advice. What the hell happened? I though you were one of the voices of reason? You friggin guys think you have horror stories? I've seen and smelled things that would make you pussies cry...

- - - Updated - - -

The way you guys talk I wouldn't be surprised if it was all you guys in that M3 jerking each other off to 99 red balloons.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    This thread took a weird turn. This is my take, OP. I'm sorry you've apparently had it pretty tough and kudos for teaching; I went to school to teach as well after switching from mechanical engineering. There are probably a number of guys on here who have sped repeatedly and severely but won't admit it. I would and do respond the same way to anyone who brags about reckless driving because that's what it is. Regardless of your circumstances or skill level, you're putting innocent people at risk. My father was almost killed by someone like that, and someone in my high school killed his passenger, who was a friend of mine. I'm lucky enough to have a job which allows me an occasional outlet for fast diving, but even without it I wouldn't double the speed limit while weaving between other cars. Take this how you will, but that's my view.

Also, you may want to do some research on BMWCCA track days near you; I haven't looked recently but I remember them being fairly inexpensive. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
    Last edited by ELVA164; 02-07-2015 at 07:42 AM.

My Cars
    97 318i, 00 f350 +++
    yea bud you hard

your going to find the same opinions from most of the members here im not trying to be a dick but if you gotta stick a fork in the electrical socket to learn not to do so.... JUST GIVER MAN

but again thats not for you to impose onto others just going about there daily lives on public streets....
    Last edited by ogkush420; 02-07-2015 at 08:59 AM.
    e36 parts for sale

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    This thread took a weird turn. This is my take, OP. I'm sorry you've apparently had it pretty tough and kudos for teaching; I went to school to teach as well after switching from mechanical engineering. There are probably a number of guys on here who have sped repeatedly and severely but won't admit it. I would and do respond the same way to anyone who brags about reckless driving because that's what it is. Regardless of your circumstances or skill level, you're putting innocent people at risk. My father was almost killed by someone like that, and someone in my high school killed his passenger, who was a friend of mine. I'm lucky enough to have a job which allows me an occasional outlet for fast diving, but even without it I wouldn't double the speed limit while weaving between other cars. Take this how you will, but that's my view.

Also, you may want to do some research on BMWCCA track days near you; I haven't looked recently but I remember them being fairly inexpensive. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
    Just to be clear, I was not bragging. If I wanted to brag, I could, and I wouldn't use that story. I have burned my fair share of rubber, and earned my fair share of glory. But again, that was never my point, and I was not trying to brag. I think if you read this thread from the beginning, you will see that. I am just an aging gear head who finally got his first muscle car. I turn 35 in a few days and everybody is breaking my balls, despite the fact that for the first time in my life I am watching what I eat, running a mile every other day and gave up one of my last beloved vices, which I am not happy about. It may sound petty, but I am kinda on edge these days, and my commutes and drives about town have become a happy place and vent for me. I have been making arrangements with my friend with whom I race kart to take our cars out to the track, and am making a conscious effort to chill. But just as I was not trying to brag, I sure as hell am not going to feel ashamed. If any one here wants me to, as I said before, they can kiss my ass.

Secondly, it was eleven o'clock at night on a quiet section of a freeway through the hills. I never went between cars at twice the speed limit, and the cars I went between were a small spattering of late night commuters who were widely spaced. And again, by then I had sped way down, and was continuing to decelerate, as I made my way between them. Once I was ahead of them, I used my break lightly to bring me down to a reasonable speed. So really, you guys are way, way off base. You are reading what you want into things, and assuming the worst of me to boot. Give it a rest.

Even the guy in the M3 wasn't as pissed as you guys for crying out loud. We cruised along keeping each other company after that for nearly twenty miles before parting ways.

- - - Updated - - -

im not trying to be a dick....
    You could have fooled the hell outta me.

My Cars
    B8.5 Audi S4, R320 cdi
    Couple pieces of info.
    The 3 series you heard that could make similar power to an m3 with software is the e90 335i. That is because it is a twin turbo (and later single turbo) inline 6. The e90 m3 has a high revving v8 with well over 400hp. The new m3 has a turbo inline 6 with something like 425hp. Software on a non fi car will not give much in terms of power.
    The main reason people are jumping on you, is most enthusiasts here resent the perceived image that all bmw drivers are cox. Some dude in a 16 year old 3 series with 170hp doing 121 on public roads, and buzzing around an m3 like a mosquito asking for a slap furthers this distasteful image.
    Current: 2015 Audi S4 Sepang Blue, DSG, technik, black optic, sport diff, H&R Sport springs, Chipwerke Pro
    Past: 2001 ///M5 Imola Red/black, mk iv nav, black kidney grills, muffler delete with vibrant 1331 tips, shorty clutch stop, evolve alphaN tune
    e60 530i, e39 540i6, lots of modded audis.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordon View Post
    Couple pieces of info.
    The 3 series you heard that could make similar power to an m3 with software is the e90 335i. That is because it is a twin turbo (and later single turbo) inline 6. The e90 m3 has a high revving v8 with well over 400hp. The new m3 has a turbo inline 6 with something like 425hp. Software on a non fi car will not give much in terms of power.
    The main reason people are jumping on you, is most enthusiasts here resent the perceived image that all bmw drivers are cox. Some dude in a 16 year old 3 series with 170hp doing 121 on public roads, and buzzing around an m3 like a mosquito asking for a slap furthers this distasteful image.
    Thanks for the info Jordan. But my car puts out something more like 200-225, just FYI. Maybe even a little more. The guy I got it from estimated 250, but I think that's a little high... Again, not trying to boast, just stating facts.

And he buzzed up to me and asked for it. So I gave it to him.

- - - Updated - - -

He didn't take it personal. Neither should you.

My Cars
    z3
    Thanks for the info Jordan. But my car puts out something more like 200-225, just FYI. Maybe even a little more. The guy I got it from estimated 250, but I think that's a little high... Again, not trying to boast, just stating facts.
    What exactly do you have to back this statement up? The stock engine in your car makes 168hp, the Z3 2.5L from 99 makes 170hp. The biggest advantage to the Z3 engine is the weight. Even the bigger 2.8 M52TU makes only 190hp, unless it is a full S52 build its unlikely to be close to the power figures you are quoting.

Care to take a picture of your engine so we can determine what type it is?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    B8.5 Audi S4, R320 cdi
    ...my car puts out something more like 200-225, just FYI. Maybe even a little more....

- - - Updated - - -

He didn't take it personal. Neither should you.
    No, your car is not making e36 m3 power levels with your listed mods. Not even close. Unless you have more power mods than you stated, you likely have around 175-180hp. And i assure you, i do not take it personal. I am used to losing races that i didn't know I was in. Just the other day i got burned by a saturn. I had my cruise control set at about 80mph, and he murdered me, blowing past me doing like 90. If you think an e90 m3 was barely pulling on you at 110, you don't understand how fast they accelerate to 150. They hit their governer hard. Without a limiter they are likely capable of speeds closer to 190. My m5 accelerates above 110 like a 200hp car does above 50, with authority. not attacking you, but you really need to drive either an e39 m5 or e90 m3 to understand the acceleration of a 400hp bmw v8. They eat up the roads at highway speeds. They don't even really get going until 100mph+. And then they continue to pull like a freight train.
    Current: 2015 Audi S4 Sepang Blue, DSG, technik, black optic, sport diff, H&R Sport springs, Chipwerke Pro
    Past: 2001 ///M5 Imola Red/black, mk iv nav, black kidney grills, muffler delete with vibrant 1331 tips, shorty clutch stop, evolve alphaN tune
    e60 530i, e39 540i6, lots of modded audis.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordon View Post
    No, your car is not making e36 m3 power levels with your listed mods. Not even close. Unless you have more power mods than you stated, you likely have around 175-180hp. And i assure you, i do not take it personal. I am used to losing races that i didn't know I was in. Just the other day i got burned by a saturn. I had my cruise control set at about 80mph, and he murdered me, blowing past me doing like 90. If you think an e90 m3 was barely pulling on you at 110, you don't understand how fast they accelerate to 150. They hit their governer hard. Without a limiter they are likely capable of speeds closer to 190. My m5 accelerates above 110 like a 200hp car does above 50, with authority. not attacking you, but you really need to drive either an e39 m5 or e90 m3 to understand the acceleration of a 400hp bmw v8. They eat up the roads at highway speeds. They don't even really get going until 100mph+. And then they continue to pull like a freight train.
    I not only believe you, but envy you. My new dream (practical, realistic dreams) is to put the most recent model possible M3 package in my car. If you recall the title of this thread, I am now very much a BMW enthusiast. Let's put the little sortie that I mentioned aside. I'd rather talk shop, and make progress.

I am not going to outright disagree with you, because it appears clear enough to me that you have more knowledge and experience with BMW's than I. But with respect, I used to have an old 94 Integra that I had putting out the same kind of numbers you are telling me my car puts out, and I believe it is a lighter chassis. I was 21 years old, and I drove that car through perdition and back with my foot in it the whole time. I knew it inside out (it was my first car that I "tuned"). Literally blew the motor up dogging the crap out of it (sent a rod journal through the block wall), and rebuilt it with my bare hands and almost no air or power tools. I find it very difficult to believe that my E36 chassis with the Z3 motor that is in it is putting out similar numbers to that Integra.

The guy I got it from put a light weight racing flywheel in it when he changed the clutch, but other than that and the super sprint exhaust package, it has no further powertrain mods that I know of. And the thing is a drifting machine. The first night I got it, it took me until 4:30 in the morning to put the new driveshaft in it, clean up the shop and lock up (not my shop, and a place of business, so I had to be extra careful to leave things the way I found them). I went to get on the freeway home, and the light was green going down hill into a left hand turn. Since the driveshaft that I got it with was rumbling real bad, this was the first time I really put my foot in it, and I didn't even floor it. The thing broke loose so sweet in second that I didn't even realize it until I felt the back coming around and heard the motor rev up as it went all sideways. I countersteered just a touch and it corrected so perfectly as it whipped back a little the other way. As the wheels hooked up without a bark or a jerk, I was yelling YEHAHHH BOY!!!!!!!

That's why I find it hard to believe I'm putting out 175-180. That was also when I most recently fell in love... ah, memories....
    Last edited by navvid; 02-08-2015 at 02:26 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    170hp in a peaky honda 4 cyl honda engine vs. 170hp in a torquey I6 bmw feel radically different... the BMW is making more power over a larger rev range and thus feels faster. You can't compare just peak HP and try to extrapolate that out...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

This thread has so much hate...I love it

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyguy95 View Post
    No I think it's finally going in a positive direction again.

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by speedyguy95 View Post
    No, wait, I take that back. Speedyguy, I hate you for loving the hate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TireInflator View Post
    BMW are one of kind, a lot of people hype it up, but I mean..... i've enjoyed driving my friends BM! sorry to hear about you losing your licenses
    Thanks Inflator. I'm not losing too much sleep over it. I deserved it.

Do you not have a bimmer of your own?

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    He just inflates its tyres every now and again.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    170hp in a peaky honda 4 cyl honda engine vs. 170hp in a torquey I6 bmw feel radically different... the BMW is making more power over a larger rev range and thus feels faster. You can't compare just peak HP and try to extrapolate that out...
    Good point. It also makes me think holy crap, my buddy's R1 makes that kinda power in a chassis that weighs under 500 lbs. Bikes are too damn fast these days...

Anyway, you're right, but the 3 doesn't just feel faster, it is faster.

- - - Updated - - -

And screw all you guys! My kart makes 27hp!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast