Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E39 DSP upgrade...will these work?

My Cars
    88 325IX/96 318ti/08 X3

E39 DSP upgrade...will these work?

So I have done a lot of reading, a lot of digging through posts, and here is what I'm planning.

I have two typeR alpine 2way crossover networks from an install I did on my old e36, have a kenwood head-unit that is already wired and ready to plug in.

So now the question is can I use most of the factory wiring and speakers if I just replace the DSP amp in the truck with a 4 or 5 channel amp? I know wire splicing and cutting is involved but in theory this should work yes?

Thanks, i've done multiple stereo installs but nothing that required as much planning as this.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Get the Kenwood head unit installed, if it's double DIN you'll need to modify the airbox to make it fit flush, or use one of the fascia's which tilt it so that the rear lower edge of the unit clears the top front edge of the airbox.

In short, you won't be able to use the oem 3 way DSP speakers well, as they're rated very low for RMS power handling and are specific impedences. The amplifier you use or will use will be too powerful, for them. You could keep the gains on minimum or very low, but then you might not be happy with the poor sound levels etc. The DSP speakers aren't anything special anyway so quite why owners *must* keep them is a bit funny to me!

If you *must* keep them, then the only way to use them is to purchase the E39 specific DSP crossover from G.A.S. It's another $375 spend for you and is available here
    http://www.jandtdistributing.com/col...-dsp-crossover

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    88 325IX/96 318ti/08 X3
    Its more just the time investment in installing a bunch of new speakers, Ide love to throw some in there but time doesnt really permit, and money doesnt allow having someone else install them. But good information to have, thanks

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    You could get a set of these and install any aftermarket 6.5" set in there by yourself. They bolt right into the door using the factory mounting holes and wiring.

http://store.12velectronics.com/prod...er-Mounts.html

My Cars
    88 325IX/96 318ti/08 X3
    Instead of creating a second thread I'll just ask this here. How is one supposed to get signal to the rear deck speakers? I have my amp installed, I have two 2 way crossovers but once I connected the wires I get sound from my front tweeter, midrange, woofer and then the rear mid-range but not the rear deck. Apparently I was reading the wrong color chart, i've seen 3 different ones so im hoping someone can give me the correct one for my specific setup. I have a DSP 540i, 3 speakers in the front, one tweeter or midrange in the rear door and the rear deck speakers.

I did run two sets of RCA cables directly from the head unit into the new 4channel amp, the amp then feeds into the 2 way networks. I took your advise dennis as far as getting new speakers, i'm just testing everything with the stock ones so I don't accidentally screw one up if I have wires done wrong.

Thanks for any help