Thread: Question: ICOM cable vs. K&DCAN cable

My Cars
    2015 BMW 520D

Question: ICOM cable vs. K&DCAN cable

Hi,

While further reading into all this BMW coding/programming, I came across the update of the navigation maps and the requirement to unlock them. I understand that you need to input a FSC code, which needs to be purchased at an authorized BMW dealer. However, I did notice that this code can be purchased online from members who are able to generate such code through the VIN number at a reasonable price (apparently because they have access to a BMW database).

Out of curiosity I read deeper into this subject and found an FSC code generator which requires the use of an ICOM cable. I noticed that this cable costs 300 Euro with software (cheapest price I have seen), which is about 10x the price of a K&DCAN cable.

My questions:

- What can you do with an ICOM cable, which you cannot do with a K&DCAN cable? (especially in my case, owning a BMW E61 and a BMW E85)
    - Can you use the ICOM cable with NCSEXPERT?
    - How is the car's software/firmware updated? Through USB or with an ICOM cable?
    - Does the OBD connector of the E60/E61 support more than the DCAN protocol, i.e. super fast ethernet connection through an ICOM cable?
    - Why is then possible to use a "cheap" DCAN cable, at all?

Sorry for these apparently silly questions, but I did not find any FAQ on this subject (I did search for it).

These questions are mainly for self education, as I am definitly not spending that much money in an ICOM cable, especially because I only "hack" my own car, thus not making any money out of it... Regarding the maps update it is cheaper to just purchase the FSC code - feedback has been great and price is acceptable.

Thanks,
    dazed1970
    My cars: BMW 520D (F11 - 2015)
    Regular Hobby: Satellite TV, hacking & modding, electronics...

My Cars
    e70, e46
    ICOM can be used with diagnosis and also programming. While dcan cable can do all of those it is not safe to program modules because there have been alot of cases where modules were bricked. You can only get your 1B file using FSC generator with ICOM on an E series car but cannot generate 1B file using dcan since it will give you an error. There is another way though of getting your 1B file without using an ICOM on an E series through the USB port inside your glovebox accessing the hard drive directly. I haven't heard of somebody using an ICOM with NCSexpert and I haven't tried it myself since I do not have an ICOM. Rather than going through all those stuff, it is more convenient to just buy the lifetime FSC code and be done with it.
    Last edited by Thirdy; 01-30-2015 at 10:42 PM.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 520D
    When you say program modules, do you mean like flashing software or changing parameters like one does with DCAN and Ncsexpert?

To see if I understood:

Programming = Flashing a module, which means changing the actual software. Best done with an ICOM cable.
    Coding = Reading and writing the memory which contains the configuration. Can be done with a K&DCAN cable.

ICOM Cable: fast protocol, allows to secure flash software and read/write access the entire memory. Similar to JTAG programming.
    K&DCAN Cable: slow serial protocol, flashing would take ages and errors could occur. Also, not possible to access the entire memory. Similar to RS232 bootloader access.

Would this be more or less the case?

Thanks,
    dazed1970
    Last edited by dazed1970; 01-31-2015 at 08:03 AM.
    My cars: BMW 520D (F11 - 2015)
    Regular Hobby: Satellite TV, hacking & modding, electronics...

My Cars
    e70, e46
    That's right. You program a module if you want to update the software to a newer one or if you a retrofitting a new module and want to flash it. ICOM is alot more stable than dcan when it comes to programming. And you are right there are modules that takes hours to finish and any interruption in the process will surely brick that module. You can get a cheap china clone ICOM but finding a refutable vendor selling a good working ICOM is not easy. Try to get recommendations from others who bought a working clone ICOM.

My Cars
    E46

Try

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdy View Post
    That's right. You program a module if you want to update the software to a newer one or if you a retrofitting a new module and want to flash it. ICOM is alot more stable than dcan when it comes to programming. And you are right there are modules that takes hours to finish and any interruption in the process will surely brick that module. You can get a cheap china clone ICOM but finding a refutable vendor selling a good working ICOM is not easy. Try to get recommendations from others who bought a working clone ICOM.
    Try uobd2.net, many of us buy from it.