Thread: Leaking fuel in injectors when cold -which p/n is updated injectors?

My Cars
    95 M blk/blk

Leaking fuel in injectors when cold -which p/n is updated injectors?

I have an 02 325xit and it has the problem where the fuel injectors leak when its very cold outside. I have already looked it up and know that the fix is replacing the injectors with the "updated" injectors. New injectors are over $100 each, so I would like to just buy some used ones, but I don't want to buy used old style defective units. If you go to pelican or ecs and lookup the proper injectors for the car the part number is 13537546244. I have also read that when BMW updated the injectors they changed the p/n, so any injector I find with this p/n (used) would be the new ones? Does anyone know what year cars had the updated injectors? Thanks!
    Last edited by bimmerbumm193; 01-30-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    96 328i ITR Racecar
    95 M3 blk/blk - hillclimb project - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1798796 - Retired to street duty after two awesome seasons!
    2002 325XiT - daily

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerbumm193 View Post
    I have an 02 325xit and it has the problem where the fuel injectors leak when its very cold outside. I have already looked it up and know that the fix is replacing the injectors with the "updated" injectors. New injectors are over $100 each, so I would like to just buy some used ones, but I don't want to buy used old style defective units. If you go to pelican or ecs and lookup the proper injectors for the car the part number is 13537546244. I have also read that when BMW updated the injectors they changed the p/n, so any injector I find with this p/n (used) would be the new ones? Does anyone know what year cars had the updated injectors? Thanks!
    Can you tell me more about this? What are the symptoms? Poor idle on cold start when below freezing temps? That sounds real relevant to an issue I'm having.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2002 330Ci Conv.
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerbumm193 View Post
    Supposedly the manufacturing change was in 2003 for the Siemens/VDO injectors. Had the same issue myself some time ago, and the part number for mine (330Ci vs 325Xi) is one digit off (13537546245 vs 13537546244).

Original fuel injectors on my car had a black body; new fuel injectors with the same part number were silver. I bought new Siemens/VDO injectors from BMA Parts for a little under $80 each and those had “A2C59514053” etched on them, if that’s of any help.

But if you’re buying used, I would avoid anything prior to 2003, obviously the newer the better. Last guy I spoke with bought the fuel rail and injectors off an ’05 X5 for about $90, which fixed his issue.

Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post
    Can you tell me more about this? What are the symptoms? Poor idle on cold start when below freezing temps? That sounds real relevant to an issue I'm having.
    Here’s a thread I replied to over on Bimmerfest a while back: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...72#post8711972. Supposedly it’s fairly uncommon and requires some extreme temperatures, but have seen a few threads discussing fuel leaking externally, as well as escaping as a fine mist throughout the engine bay.

In my scenario, the injectors were leaking visibly from the body/electrical connection, as well as internally after the car had gotten up to operating temperature. The latter resulting in an intermittent warm start/long crank situation after sitting between 1 - 3 hours, but no longer.

There are some additional links to other threads in that post, including the YouTube video, but here’s one of the main ones: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=571302.
    Last edited by SilberVogel; 01-31-2015 at 12:41 AM.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by SilberVogel View Post
    Here’s a thread I replied to over on Bimmerfest a while back: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...72#post8711972. Supposedly it’s fairly uncommon and requires some extreme temperatures, but have seen a few threads discussing fuel leaking externally, as well as escaping as a fine mist throughout the engine bay.

In my scenario, the injectors were leaking visibly from the body/electrical connection, as well as internally after the car had gotten up to operating temperature. The latter resulting in an intermittent warm start/long crank situation after sitting between 1 - 3 hours, but no longer.

There are some additional links to other threads in that post, including the YouTube video, but here’s one of the main ones: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=571302.
    Ok, I was doing some reading on the issue and everything i read indicated that the external leaking issue only occurred on the b30 engine, which would exclude OP's car.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2002 330Ci Conv.
    I’ve seen more comments on the M54B30, as well, and the first step for the OP should really be to make sure it’s not the o-rings that are leaking. It may be difficult to determine the source of the leak, and addressing the o-rings first would be a good/cheap way to rule that out.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by SilberVogel View Post
    I’ve seen more comments on the M54B30, as well, and the first step for the OP should really be to make sure it’s not the o-rings that are leaking. It may be difficult to determine the source of the leak, and addressing the o-rings first would be a good/cheap way to rule that out.
    I need to check mine out I guess. I have cold idle issues indicative of vacuum leak, but I've replaced almost everything that could leak.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL