Thread: BMW M2 Confirmed for model year 2016, Nice looking renders...

My Cars
    z3

BMW M2 Confirmed for model year 2016, Nice looking renders...

I think that is the most realistic looking render so far. Most the other renders incorporate ideas not seen on any current M whereas the above render follows the "M corporate face" with many features seen on the current M lineup. See more renders here and here it is in a dealership order catalog

Keep in mind the below is all speculation

A German auto blog claims it will use the N55 with 374hp and 384 ft-lbs of torque, coming with either a 7 speed auto or 6 speed manual gearbox. BMW M supposedly dropped the development of an "S48" which was a turbocharged I4 purported to be the M variant of a future B48 (turbo 4) engine. It is claimed to borrow certain technologies from the M3/M4, including some of the technology used to make those cars lightweight, helping keep the car under a 3400 lb. curb weight (some sources claiming 3,300 lbs). For comparison the E46 M3 was just over 3400 lbs. with the E36 M3 weighing in at 3175 lbs. Euro price point (56,500 euro) is equivalent to $63,800 USD - about $20,000 USD more than the M235i. One article I read (here) claimed a US price of $55,000 but I doubt if the euro price is 55K ours will be so low. It may also be available with an AWD variant which would be the first for an M car (their SUV's have used AWD technology for awhile).

I'm hoping the 1M was a test to see if a "baby M" would sell or be desirable and as it was am hoping they will make this a regular production model made through the end of the production of the 2 series. Even given unlimited funds I'd take the smaller M2 over any other current M offering. I really hope it isn't a super limited run like the 1M, as I would very much like to own one of these to actually drive (since like 95% of 1M's are garage queens...).

Will be interesting to see how things pan out with this car. Thoughts? I'm thinking 2016 is a good time to trade in the 128i

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2008 128i
    A 6MT, RWD version gives me hope that there might be a "new" BMW that interests me (despite the mandatory turbo). And yeah, hopefully it isn't limited production like the 1M.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvco View Post
    A 6MT, RWD version gives me hope that there might be a "new" BMW that interests me (despite the mandatory turbo). And yeah, hopefully it isn't limited production like the 1M.
    Agreed... never had any interest in a new BMW until now. Its more attractive to me if it isnt limited production like the 1M, means I won't be afraid to drive it.

If the price is indeed ~$55k as is claimed, I'll get a last production year model into my garage

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Agreed... never had any interest in a new BMW until now. Its more attractive to me if it isnt limited production like the 1M, means I won't be afraid to drive it. If the price is indeed ~$55k as is claimed, I'll get a last production year model into my garage
    think the M2 will be more in the $60-$65K range with options. Just comparing the cost of the 2 to the 3/4. Not much of a savings when optioned.

If you're spot on with the $55K, I'll definitely have one in 3 years once I'm done with my F32.

My Cars
    z3
    Everywhere I'm reading is saying ~$55k base, $65k may be possible with with all the boxes ticked including dealer accessories... most likely it will have limited options though and will come with most M235i options standard, and will come with maybe a few factory performance upgrades (brakes come to mind), some no-cost options (sunroof delete, manual transmission if normally slotted with DCT).

Just for reference, $65k for a decently loaded option would not do them any favors as that is close to the price of it's big brothers, M3 ($62K) and M4 ($64K). There is a lengthier discussion here (and price is speculated on a bit more) for anyone interested, and I've posted a bit more info and more pictures and etc there:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ooking-renders

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1995 525i slushbox
    If they do it for under 60k, I will get one. That said, aside from an extra 40 HP that can be probably be had fairly easily as is with a tune and maybe a new wastegate, what would make this much better than a track pack M235? With the track pack and a few options, it's already close to 55k.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by 525iDrew View Post
    If they do it for under 60k, I will get one. That said, aside from an extra 40 HP that can be probably be had fairly easily as is with a tune and maybe a new wastegate, what would make this much better than a track pack M235? With the track pack and a few options, it's already close to 55k.
    I'm not following your logic. There isn't to my knowledge any track pack on an M235i, I think you may be talking of the very expensive option on the 228i?

But lets say it is on the M235i and as you say a "track pack" M235i is about the same cost as an M2, I would turn that question around and ask why - for the same price - would anyone get the M235i over an M2 which will likely have everything the "track pack" has plus more power and a lighter weight? Plus the M2 will have better looks, will be more rare and have better resale value, a better interior... etc... thats like asking why get an M5 over a 550i that costs as much as an M5

And a tune and a wastegate may add 40hp or so but those upgrades are not free and will likely give similar gains on the M2. Comparing a stock M2 to a modded M235i doesn't seem fair, especially if the M235i costs more (track pack M235i close to M2 price + tune and upgrades will surely make it more expensive).

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

I'm with you^^. Just the option to own a real M would make me get the M2. Ever since I test drove the M235i I've drooled over how cool the M2 would be.

Now that I've seen some shots of it, I'm impressed by the looks, only need to be impressed by the weight loss. Don't care about HP, BMW has never been about HP, much more interested in the suspension improvements that will make the car so awesome to drive. Really hope they dropped 300lbs or so as the 235i is a real pig. Doubt it drops that much though. More like 120lbs is more realistic yet disappointing.

The M2 looks to be the automotive expression of rough sex in your 20's.... That good! :-D

My Cars
    1995 525i slushbox
    Eh. My E34 is the same weight as the M235i. BMWs hide their weight better than most cars.

Don't know why I thought there was a track pack for the 235. Looks like the M2 will be worth waiting for. In every video I've seen of the M235, it seems to have a lot more body roll than other performance oriented BMWs. For similar money, I would rather have real M handling. Different strokes for different folks.

My Cars
    z3
    I haven't heard a single negative response to this car. I think it is a true return to BMW's roots, especially their //M Roots... finally giving people what they've wanted since basically the E36 M3 when people said the E46 M3 was too heavy (which was a justified complaint imo, even more so in Europe when vs. the 321 E36 M3 engine the E46 M3 was hardly a step above in performance).

This thing will sell like hotcakes to enthusiasts I think. Maybe this car will finally quiet those "new BMWs suck" haters!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I haven't heard a single negative response to this car. I think it is a true return to BMW's roots, especially their //M Roots... finally giving people what they've wanted since basically the E36 M3 when people said the E46 M3 was too heavy (which was a justified complaint imo, even more so in Europe when vs. the 321 E36 M3 engine the E46 M3 was hardly a step above in performance).

This thing will sell like hotcakes to enthusiasts I think. Maybe this car will finally quiet those "new BMWs suck" haters!
    I think even the 235 has been seen as a somewhat return to those roots, the m2 I think will be an epic car :-) I might even dump my 235 for it once the initial prices settle a bit.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    1995 525i slushbox
    I'm really hoping they don't try to do a limited run where, like the 1M, they just get more expensive as they sell. Looking forward to the release of build numbers.