Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW M2 Confirmed for model year 2016, Nice looking renders...

My Cars
    z3

BMW M2 Confirmed for model year 2016, Nice looking renders...

I think that is the most realistic looking render so far. Most the other renders incorporate ideas not seen on any current M whereas the above render follows the "M corporate face" with many features seen on the current M lineup. See more renders here and here it is in a dealership order catalog

Keep in mind the below is all speculation

A German auto blog claims it will use the N55 with 374hp and 384 ft-lbs of torque, coming with either a 7 speed auto or 6 speed manual gearbox. BMW M supposedly dropped the development of an "S48" which was a turbocharged I4 purported to be the M variant of a future B48 (turbo 4) engine. It is claimed to borrow certain technologies from the M3/M4, including some of the technology used to make those cars lightweight, helping keep the car under a 3400 lb. curb weight (some sources claiming 3,300 lbs). For comparison the E46 M3 was just over 3400 lbs. with the E36 M3 weighing in at 3175 lbs. Euro price point (56,500 euro) is equivalent to $63,800 USD - about $20,000 USD more than the M235i. One article I read (here) claimed a US price of $55,000 but I doubt if the euro price is 55K ours will be so low. It may also be available with an AWD variant which would be the first for an M car (their SUV's have used AWD technology for awhile).

I'm hoping the 1M was a test to see if a "baby M" would sell or be desirable and as it was am hoping they will make this a regular production model made through the end of the production of the 2 series. Even given unlimited funds I'd take the smaller M2 over any other current M offering. I really hope it isn't a super limited run like the 1M, as I would very much like to own one of these to actually drive (since like 95% of 1M's are garage queens...).

Will be interesting to see how things pan out with this car. Thoughts? I'm thinking 2016 is a good time to trade in the 128i

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Huh n55 based motor eh... so much for a true m motor.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    z3
    I'd rather have an N55 over an "M" 4 cylinder... S14 is long gone and to me a big attraction of the M's is the power. 1M used the N54, I see no problem with the M2 using an N55.

I'd almost prefer it in fact, will no doubt be MUCH cheaper to tune than an S55 or one-off "S48" ...there are already tons of off-the-shelf upgrades for the N55 that can make it more powerful than a stock S55 for fairly cheap.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    That's a small gap to fit into between the M235i and the M4. I wonder if the M2 will out perform the M3 and M4?
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    That's a small gap to fit into between the M235i and the M4. I wonder if the M2 will out perform the M3 and M4?
    This is my thinking too, and makes me concerned that the M2 - like the 1M before it - will be a limited production run to prevent it stepping on it's big brother's toes.

Stock for stock I imagine it likely won't outperform it, it will probably be engineered to perform just a little slower than the M3/M4... but with a JB4 and some supporting hardware it's anyone's guess.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3 Coupe
    Needs to have a greater size and weight delta from the M3. LSD option, damn well be included at that price. Cloth / manual interior, basic convenience and comfort options.
    Bring back Techno Violet and all the rest.

Proportions look good, roof and wheel arches look sexy.

I guess N/a motors are truly dead I was fantasizing for one last go around.

My Cars
    95 M3, Euro M6, 74 2002
    This is the car I've been watching for especially with how big the M3/M4 has gotten. I know the pictures of the M2 are renders and I really hope they do something about the hoodline, it's something that has bugged me about the aesthetics of the current 3/4series. I'm not sure if the hoodline is something functional or serving a purpose, or is it an afterthought. For me personally it would be nice to have ~380HP/FT-Lbs, but nicer if the weight was closer to an E46, better yet the E36 but that would be wishful thinking

***EDIT: I guess the hoodline thing had been discussed, it has to meet pedestrian collision guidelines.
    Last edited by Villanuevas_BMW; 01-29-2015 at 10:42 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Pedestrian guidelines dictate the distance between hood and the engine in the bay (thus why modern cars are a bit more bloated vs. older BMWs where the hood practically - sometimes literally - sits on the engine). The reason the hood line is in that location so that if you get in a minor fender bender you just replace the bumper not the bumper and hood.

Supposed to weigh less than an E46 M3 and have ~374hp. Everything I'm reading is claiming weight less than E46 M3 and power in those ranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by sullypants1 View Post
    Needs to have a greater size and weight delta from the M3. LSD option, damn well be included at that price. Cloth / manual interior, basic convenience and comfort options.
    Bring back Techno Violet and all the rest.

I guess N/a motors are truly dead I was fantasizing for one last go around.
    Will no doubt have an LSD... it is an M after all.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    I'm gonna get one! I'm so excite.

I'll be waiting until the 2nd to last or last year of production though.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=85027636&v=6cKTHRhy0Dw&x-yt-ts=1422503916#t=73

Video of it on the traq.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonsM3 View Post
    I'll be waiting until the 2nd to last or last year of production though.
    Other large financial commitments would make it hard for me to swing this as a 2016, so I'm really REALLY hoping it becomes a standard model in the lineup... if this makes it through more than a year of production I will definitely be getting a last-year production model Never been interested in having a car payment but for this car I would in a heartbeat. Wonder if they'd do an "Individual" Techno Violet

Per the "M interview" thread they are looking at expanding the M model range, I hope this includes a permanent sub-M3 "M" car like this.

Couple other videos:

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2011 bmw 328i coupe
    I'm interested in seeing the specs of what an M2 could be. It should be able to outperform the m3/m4 due to being lighter, shorter wheelbase, and similar Hp(hopefully). I'd most likely prefer the m2 over the m4, but it doesn't seem to be a place for it price-wise in the BMW lineup. The m235i is like 49k, and the m3-m4 are 64k. I guess the m2 would be priced around 55-60k, but I don't see BMW making a better performing car than their famed m3-m4 for cheaper.
    2011 328i coupe 6mt

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by RCL View Post
    The m235i is like 49k, and the m3-m4 are 64k. I guess the m2 would be priced around 55-60k, but I don't see BMW making a better performing car than their famed m3-m4 for cheaper.
    M235i starts at $43K, many articles are claiming the M2 will come in at US $55,000 or thereabouts which would put it comfortably under the M3/M4 yet above the M235i. Historically, fully loaded non-M variants with all boxes ticked are about the same price as the base M model. This applies still today with the 4 series to M4 and a fully loaded M235i is about $54k so it stands to reason the $55k price may be correct.

I have no doubts the performance will be less than the M3/M4 stock for stock. But likely not by much, and the gap will be closed pretty quickly in the aftermarket world I suspect since there will simply be more N55's out there and thus a larger market for parts.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Will no doubt have an LSD... it is an M after all.
    I won't take anything for granted anymore, M or non M.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Production is scheduled for 11/15 for demo and initial stock cars. So I'm assuming normal folks would start getting them around early spring.

However, if I were in the market, I'd wait a year or two. That way, they'll probably incorporate LCI changes and work out the bugs. Plus you probably don't have to pay full msrp if you wait a year or two.

In any case, this is an excellent time we live in. Plenty of great cars are on sale currently, plus so many more coming down the line.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by sullypants1 View Post
    I won't take anything for granted anymore, M or non M.
    Every single M model has had an LSD. I don't see why this would be an exception
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsterBek View Post
    However, if I were in the market, I'd wait a year or two. That way, they'll probably incorporate LCI changes and work out the bugs. Plus you probably don't have to pay full msrp if you wait a year or two.

In any case, this is an excellent time we live in. Plenty of great cars are on sale currently, plus so many more coming down the line.
    Do you have any internal knowledge about this car? Curious if there are plans for a longer term production unlike the 1M. That is really my biggest concern with this car.

Agreed 100% on the second point... some people are unhappy but, some people are always unhappy!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    M235i starts at $43K, many articles are claiming the M2 will come in at US $55,000 or thereabouts which would put it comfortably under the M3/M4 yet above the M235i. Historically, fully loaded non-M variants with all boxes ticked are about the same price as the base M model. This applies still today with the 4 series to M4 and a fully loaded M235i is about $54k so it stands to reason the $55k price may be correct.

I have no doubts the performance will be less than the M3/M4 stock for stock. But likely not by much, and the gap will be closed pretty quickly in the aftermarket world I suspect since there will simply be more N55's out there and thus a larger market for parts.

My guess is they will discontinue the M235i and introduce a 235i to slot in a bit lower than the current M235's price point. If you back out the standard M Sport package on the M235, you could bring the base price down by 3 or 4 grand.

You would have -
    228i - 32,000
    328i - 37,500
    235i - 39,000
    335i - 44,000
    M2 - 55,000
    M3 - 62,000

My Cars
    z3
    That would make sense. Would certainly be in line historically with some of their "M-tech" packages that were available before the full-blooded M, like the pre-M3 '94 M-technic or M535i.

Did you ever get a 135i? I think there might be a decent migration of E36 M3 guys moving into these cars. Think its the first new BMW E36 guys would actually want to buy

edit: Been reading up on this trying to get as much info as I can, posting a few of the more interesting pictures I've found here:

Appears quite wide, I think this will follow the same formula as the 1M... a massaged non-M (N55) engine paired with the M3/M4 suspension/chassis bits including brakes, suspension and LSD. Probably no CF roof though.

Everything I'm reading is pointing that way and I'm very excited for this car (as is probably obvious!)

Most reliable source I've found so far claims 381HP and 3271 lbs
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 01-30-2015 at 08:51 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    They aren't discontinuing the m sport models as it is a thing they are pushing to fill the gaps in performance. Audi has the s line and mb has the amg sport models.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    z3
    I wouldn't be surprised to simply see them dropping the badging though. There isn't an "M435i" but you can do the M-line on the 435i, I think that might be the way these cars are headed too. "M535i" and similarly badged cars in the past have mostly been short runs leading up to, or following (E34 M540i) the "real" M variant of that car.

If this happens it will make your M235i a bit more valuable than a normal "235i" in the future

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is

Do you have any internal knowledge about this car? Curious if there are plans for a longer term production unlike the 1M. That is really my biggest concern with this car.

Agreed 100% on the second point... some people are unhappy but, some people are always unhappy!
    I doubt they'll make M2 a limited run like 1M. It wouldn't make sense to spend all that money on R&D and only offer it for a year orso.

My Cars
    98 M3
    This is the ONLY car I have ever seen (since buying a new car has become an actual possibility financially for me) that I would potentially buy brand new, optioned out just the way I like it, and keep it for the rest of my life. If air-cooled 911s keep climbing, I think the idea might be scratched for me and I'll spring for an M2, individual ordered technoviolet if thats an option.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    95 M3, Euro M6, 74 2002
    I think there might be a decent migration of E36 M3 guys moving into these cars. Think its the first new BMW E36 guys would actually want to buy
    You're absolutely right, me being one of them

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsterBek View Post
    I doubt they'll make M2 a limited run like 1M. It wouldn't make sense to spend all that money on R&D and only offer it for a year orso.
    But it made sense for the 1M...? The 1M had just as much R&D behind it. I think there are other indicators it will not be as limited production but I'm not following your logic on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    This is the ONLY car I have ever seen (since buying a new car has become an actual possibility financially for me) that I would potentially buy brand new, optioned out just the way I like it, and keep it for the rest of my life. If air-cooled 911s keep climbing, I think the idea might be scratched for me and I'll spring for an M2, individual ordered technoviolet if thats an option.
    I'd love to see Techno Violet brought back. I'd love to do an Individual as well, I'm hoping they will let the "baby M" have Individual orders, at least maybe during the last year of production...

Techno Violet over "M Rain/Alcantara" M2
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 02-01-2015 at 12:43 AM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    I wouldn't be surprised to simply see them dropping the badging though. There isn't an "M435i" but you can do the M-line on the 435i, I think that might be the way these cars are headed too. "M535i" and similarly badged cars in the past have mostly been short runs leading up to, or following (E34 M540i) the "real" M variant of that car.

If this happens it will make your M235i a bit more valuable than a normal "235i" in the future
    They are going to the m240i next year I think, so the m235i is going to be a one year abortion I think hehe. Same engine but they are changing the badging for some odd reason. You will the the 230/240 and I think 330/340 etc etc.

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Can't Wait for this car.

From the article:
    The long awaited and enthusiast oriented BMW M2 has been spotted testing again, this time near the Leipzig plant in Germany.

Photos and video - BMW M2 test car spied close up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast