My Cars
    honda

Warranty help with Window Washer Spray on X5

I brought my 2013 X5 into the dealership today because the window washer stream was very weak. The fluid ran out and I added some window washer fluid I bought from the local car store. The service rep said that its most likely clogged because its non BMW fluid and its not covered under warranty. If I wanted them to flush it or clean the injectors, they would have to take it apart and it could cost up to $500.

I thought all of this stuff was covered under the BMW 4 yr / 50k warranty. Isn't that why I paid so much for a BMW? Does anyone in the forum have any thoughts on how I could get this resolved or know if this work would be covered under the warranty?

Thanks!

My Cars
    04 X5, 05 MX-5, 00 Saab
    I'm no expert but that sounds like bullshit.

I'd try another dealer, but if you want to be a little extra paranoid, drain the fluid that's in there and replace with the (probably $20/gallon) BMW juice before going in there.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Step 1: Drain all fluid
    Step 2: Fill with plain ol water
    Step 3: Complain again

It's probably BS. I doubt the bmw special made hand sifted washer fluid is any better than anything off the shelf >_>.
    Last edited by Dking078; 01-30-2015 at 10:28 PM.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    2001 Honda Prelude SH
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    I doubt the bmw special made hand sifted washer fluid is any better than anything off the shelf >_>.
    You're actually right, but you NEED to keep the right mixture of washer solvent/water ratio or the pump strainers will get clogged and you get a weak stream. Warranty doesnt cover this because they cant monitor what customers put in their own vehicles, even though most only get filled when they come to the dealer anyway. Plus we were replacing washer pumps like they were going out of style until BMW got tired of paying for them. I agree its a little bs, but there have been many discussions over this issue. Basically the only scenario in which they will cover it is if the washer pump fails completely, if you hear it running then its not going to be covered.

My Cars
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmars View Post
    I brought my 2013 X5 into the dealership today because the window washer stream was very weak. The fluid ran out and I added some window washer fluid I bought from the local car store. The service rep said that its most likely clogged because its non BMW fluid and its not covered under warranty. If I wanted them to flush it or clean the injectors, they would have to take it apart and it could cost up to $500.
    Well, if you need to use "BMW" fluid then that goes against the Magnuson-Moss act. It prohibits the warrantor from requiring branded parts for warranty coverage. So if the fluid did cause an issue, it would BMW that would have to prove it. Making blanket claims that since it was not BMW fluid voids the warranty is not legal.

Now, BMW can require a certain grade or classification to be used. Take oil, you have weight as well as the API classification. So if you used what the manufacturer recommends in terms of weight and classification, then they couldn't deny coverage even though you didn't use BMW oil. So unless BMW has a classification or rating for washer fluid, you can use whatever you like.

A bottle of the BMW concentrate is like $9. So, drain what you have in there, fill it up with the BMW fluid and go back or to a different dealer and tell them to fix it.