Thread: All 3 series will go strictly hybrid in the future?

My Cars
    BMW 325i

All 3 series will go strictly hybrid in the future?

Thought about putting this only in the 3 series section, but since this likely will impact the rest of BMW's line-up, I thought I will put it here. According to CarBuzz, the 2022 3 series will be "radically different", becoming a strictly hybrid-only car. I don't know how much weigh I should give to this story, it could be pure speculation for all we know. But how will you feel about it if BMW indeed transform the 3 series into a hybrid-only offering? Personally, the only thing that matters is how it drives. If they can retain or improve on the 3 series's renowned driveability and handling, I won't have an issue with this. But if all this hybrid business means a future 3 series drive like a Prius, well that will be it for me, I won't be a bimmer-head anymore. Surely that won't happen...will it?

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/1/2...erent-7725051/

Although it’s several years away, BMW is already laying the groundwork for the 2022 3 Series. However, the next major redesign for the benchmark premium sedan is due in 2018, so why is BMW already looking so far ahead here? Because of some radical engineering changes that’ll make the 3 Series today seem obsolete. According to a new report from Autocar, BMW has learned a lot thanks to the i3 and i8 in terms of both construction and advanced powertrain capabilities.

Those lessons will be applied to more mainstream models, starting with the 2022 3 Series. Simply put, welded steel bodies and engines that drive the rear wheels with manual gearboxes will be a thing of the past. Expect a body constructed from a mix of steel, aluminum and various other lightweight composites. The powertrains will incorporate electric motors as the primary drive source, which will be teamed up with a large battery pack and an all-new internal combustion engine family that’ll serve mainly as generators. In order to meet strict upcoming EU emissions standards, BMW is planning to make all models from the 3 Series and up plug-in hybrids.

Problem right now, mainly, is weight and high costs, both of which are expected to decrease in the coming years. As the powertrain technology improves, BMW will concurrently develop said lighter weight composite materials along with dramatic aerodynamic improvements. The gasoline engine will again be front-mounted but again, it’ll serve purely to generate electricity. The bottom line here is that the 2022 3 Series will be very different from the 3 Series you see on sale today both inside and out.
    Last edited by Tomcat104; 01-25-2015 at 10:42 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    It makes sense. Torque fill etc really makes the cars without e motor assistance lag behind. All the hyper cars are going that route anyways it is a matter of time until all others do.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    z3
    BMW has also had hybrids since 2009. With ever-tightening emissions restrictions this sort of change should be no surprise. Turbocharged engines can only get so efficient without a little help... all of BMW's lineups to my knowledge are currently turbocharged, except I think one or two offerings in cars due for a next-gen update soon (Z4 3.5i for one). Hybrids are the next logical step, and that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Its easy to discount BMW's move from N/A I6's to turbo 4's as a cop-out but the truth is the cars drive very well and feel more like an I6 than most turbo 4's I've driven. I expect more of the same with a Hybrid system. I think their partnership in Toyota will breed some good results with this, Toyota doing the heavy legwork in the technical aspects leaving BMW to engineer the dynamics of the package...

Though things I notice that don't seem accurate... they act like BMW's lineup is all 'welded steel construction' but BMW has already meddled with aluminum chassis construction with the E60 5 series and E63 6 series and the following generations used less aluminum due to reasons not likely to change in the foreseeable future. There is also no reason a car can't be a hybrid and a manual, if Honda can do it BMW can too.

Seems like this article is mostly conjecture to me, based in the reality we already know to be inevitable...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    I for one would love to see hybrid assisted performance models. It's just performance you can't get otherwise, have the electric torque at 0 rpm and have it fill in gaps of power when they are needed throughout the Rev band... epic I say epic.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    I for one would love to see hybrid assisted performance models. It's just performance you can't get otherwise, have the electric torque at 0 rpm and have it fill in gaps of power when they are needed throughout the Rev band... epic I say epic.
    The thing I'm worried about is the battery weight. Can the 3 series still retain that 50/50 weight ratio?

My Cars
    z3
    No reason why it couldn't... batteries can be placed underneath the car so the weight is distributed evenly across the whole chassis. It will weigh more, but weight distribution should be fine.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    05 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    No reason why it couldn't... batteries can be placed underneath the car so the weight is distributed evenly across the whole chassis. It will weigh more, but weight distribution should be fine.
    They've done with almost every generations. So with German engineering, they should be able to continue that.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The 2022 release of an all-hybrid 3-Series model lineup doesn't make any sense. That would be mid-cycle of the F-whateverthenext3seriesiscalled.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Exactly. Batteries are far more versatile in dimension than almost any engine component.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    The 2022 release of an all-hybrid 3-Series model lineup doesn't make any sense. That would be mid-cycle of the F-whateverthenext3seriesiscalled.
    That is true - the 3 series seems to have a 7 year production cycle and the F30 started in 2012 meaning the next model should be out 2019/2020. There are enough inaccuracies in the article that I find it hard to take seriously. There will likely be a more widespread/popular hybrid variant available in the next generation, but I don't really expect the entire lineup to be hybridized quite so soon.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    That's my thinking as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    05 330i
    As long as they still keep an I6 even hybrid but has to have the I6 audible and I'll be happy with a move to hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    New 3 series plug in (328e) is due next year, production starting 11/15. Same time F87 M2 is scheduled for production btw.

At least 328e makes sense now. Using 4 cylinder instead of 6 is a right way to go. 20+ mile range on electric is not too bad.

Also, carbuzz news is just mostly nonsense. Next gen 3 is probably going to be 2019 MY, so 2022 all hybrid doesn't make sense. I don't think they'll switch to all hybrids during 2022 LCI changes.

What I believe will happen, according to bimmerpost article, that all the upcoming models in the future will have an option for hybrid and plug in, since they'll be taking that into account when doing R&D. In any case, I'm pretty excited for what the future might bring
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    the infinity q50s already uses a hybrid motor for performance gain, I am way more excited for the performance oriented hybrid applications. I mean, there is a very good reason the hyper cars, and next gen porsches will head that route. You can't beat the on demand torque of an electric motor to fill in the gaps where the gasoline engine lacks. It will be glorious I say, from the moment you mash the gas pedal it will be a kick in the pants heh.