Thread: Squeeling sound every cold start for approx 15-20 minutes untill warm

My Cars
    2008 bmw 328xi

Squeeling sound every cold start for approx 15-20 minutes untill warm

Well 1st off I wanna say thanks in advance for any and all info I will receive here for my issue.

I have a 2008 bmw 328xi that if it sits for say 3-4 hours then when I go to start it up it squeels/chirps for approx 15 minutes or until I imagine the car gets full warmed up then sound goes away.

I will start from the beginning in my venture to fix the issue.

Approx 30 days ago I started getting squeeling/chirping sound on my 2008 bmw 328xi so I took it to the dealer and they said the problem was the serpentine belt and replaced it free of charge since I had just bought this car from them 1 month prior. BTW this is NOT a CPO bmw. After getting the car back approx 2 days later same sound came back and I have been dealing with this the last month or so. So i went to indy shop in town that deals with german cars and the guy looked at it and listened and said the idler pulley was bad and that i needed a new one and at the same time i should get the tensioner pulley assembly replaced as well i said ok how much for parts/labor he said $217 plus tax , i said great lets get it done so this morning i took it in and had them replace the 2 parts and i went on my way. Well i told myself i was gonna let the car sit for 3 -4 hours then start it up and see what happens. Well that's when the squeal/chirp noise was still present :-(

I recorded an audio of what it sounds like and am looking for any ideas on what it may be since i just spent $237 with tax for parts and labor and still same issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So to recap in the last 30 days or so i have had the following done and has not solved the issue.

#1 Serpantine belt replaced
    #2 Tensioner pulley Assembly replaced
    #3 Idler Pulley below alternator replaced.

Sorry for terrible video. just threw something in there so you all can hear the sound my car is making. please ignore video and just focus on the sound please lol thanks a lot to everyone .

Last edited by noaht1980; 01-24-2015 at 03:38 AM.

My Cars
    2008 bmw 328xi
    sorry wrong section please delete

Your car has hydraulic valve adjusters. They use the engine oil to pump themselves up. Before they are pumped up, there is some clearance, and that is where the noise comes from. So, use good oil, change it more often than your car asks for you to (like 7,500 miles instead of 15,000 miles) and be sure to use a high quality oil filter with every oil change.

Oh, and in cold weather, that oil is thick, the orifices in the hydraulic adjusters are quite small, and things need to warm up, in order to pump up. So keep the revs low until that oil gets everything ready for action.
    Last edited by sebastian305; 01-24-2015 at 03:58 PM.