Thread: Steve DINAN talks about why their ECU upgrades are better

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Steve DINAN talks about why their ECU upgrades are better

Steve DINAN talks about why their ECU upgrades are better than your run of the mill piggyback computer.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    DINAN takes it a step further with a deeper dive...

My Cars
    '11 X5 35d, '07 335i
    They do make a decent product get me wrong, but I feel as though their development doesn't justify the cost. In regards to the claims in the video's specifically, I think they need to do as much homework as they do development. I know for a fact that the functionality offered by Burger Motorsports is increasing and Cobb also has quite a bit to bring to the table. I think the biggest advantage of going with a company like the two I mentioned is the continued support as well as the available comunity support which greatly increases the verstility of a product.

2014 Toyota Tundra - 2011 BMW X5 35d - 2007 BMW 335i - 2005 Yamaha R6
    2006 BMW 325xi (sold) - 2002 BMW 325i (sold) - 1994 BMW 325i (sold) - 1992 BMW 735i (sold)

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by d21spike View Post
    They do make a decent product get me wrong, but I feel as though their development doesn't justify the cost. In regards to the claims in the video's specifically, I think they need to do as much homework as they do development. I know for a fact that the functionality offered by Burger Motorsports is increasing and Cobb also has quite a bit to bring to the table. I think the biggest advantage of going with a company like the two I mentioned is the continued support as well as the available comunity support which greatly increases the verstility of a product.
    I don't know ... the thing that really caught my eye is the number of things they are monitoring versus other tuners. The number of connectors alone looks to be about 2x or 3x. I would be curious to see how the other tuners such as Burger or Cobb answer the claims of DINAN about how they are doing the job halfway versus doing a full job of monitoring all aspects rather than just cranking up the boost.

My Cars
    '11 X5 35d, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I don't know ... the thing that really caught my eye is the number of things they are monitoring versus other tuners. The number of connectors alone looks to be about 2x or 3x. I would be curious to see how the other tuners such as Burger or Cobb answer the claims of DINAN about how they are doing the job halfway versus doing a full job of monitoring all aspects rather than just cranking up the boost.
    Well lets look at Burger for example. DINAN claims others make no adjustment to timing nor fueling which absolutely not true. Don't get me wrong I'm sure DINAN takes in quite a bit more inputs but at the same rate does it really bring that much more to the table? I guess what I'm getting at is, we are no longer dealing with simple devices such as JB+ or a piggy back that simply ups the boost. Between the auto learn features, anti lag, meth control, and numerous others I just don't see it. The biggest advantage of Cobb or Burger is being able to datalog, code reading, and just simply knowing how your vehicle really is running.

I am in no way an expert on any of those platforms (my exposure to JB4 is limited also, thank you winter) but at the same rate I just see this as a marketing scheme on DINANs part. If they simply released an informative video about the tech behind their product and the amount of work that goes into each tune, I would be supportive of it for those that want to make such an investment. Heck I guess if they even did an apples to apples comparison of any of the competitors products vs theirs and provided hard proof whether its dynos or even a lap time it would be more credible.

2014 Toyota Tundra - 2011 BMW X5 35d - 2007 BMW 335i - 2005 Yamaha R6
    2006 BMW 325xi (sold) - 2002 BMW 325i (sold) - 1994 BMW 325i (sold) - 1992 BMW 735i (sold)

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I would love to see some other turners respond to DINAN's claims that they are just cranking up the boost and letting the factory ECU do the rest. It would be an interesting debate which would say that DINAN is adding unnecessary overhead by interupting signals that are unnecessary versus other tuners no doing enough to ensure driveability and safety.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I would love to see some other turners respond to DINAN's claims that they are just cranking up the boost and letting the factory ECU do the rest. It would be an interesting debate which would say that DINAN is adding unnecessary overhead by interupting signals that are unnecessary versus other tuners no doing enough to ensure driveability and safety.
    +1, Well said.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    2002 3.0 Shoe
    I know conclusively that GIAC adjusts boost, airflow, fuel pressure, and timing. You more or less have to or your car would just detonate all day.

"Why buy a loafer that's been converted to a sneaker, when you buy a
    track shoe in the first place?"
    - His Holy Clarkson-ness