Thread: Damn powersteering hoses!

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe

Damn powersteering hoses!

Just got back from Performance Technic. My Coupe was due for an oil change, and when they did the Inspection II last time they noted that one of the power steering hoses was weeping and would probably need to be changed next time. So I told them to have the hose available to replace. They weren't sure from the note which one was weeping, so they got all of them with the idea of just using what they needed. Well it turned out that the long pressure hose assembly was weeping, and two of the other hoses were cracking but not leaking yet, so I told them to replace them all. Total cost with parts and labor for power steering hoses? $545.66!!

The most annoying thing was that the long pressure hose assembly had been replaced just two years ago; the other hoses were original. So now I have to wonder if I'm going to need to do it again in 2017 ........

Marty

My Cars
    Twinscrew M coupe
    You could also consider switching to the e36 M3 setup. It bolts to the existing power steering rack and the hoses are much shorter. It works perfectly on my S52 not sure if you will run into issues with the oil cooler lines but its probably worth a shot.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    As I understand, the leak is usually just a loosened hose clamp. I just replaced one in my car a few months ago. Still have original hoses on the car.

My Cars
    00 Imola E/S TS M Coupe
    Marty saw your car in the pic P Tech posted and it looked great. I recently did all my hoses too!!

My Cars
    Chariot
    Bummer. At least it was in good hands over at p-tech.

I know at least one of my lines is beginning to weep.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Two years ago and is leaking again?? Mine are 16 years old and only one had a slow leak that disappeared with hose clamps!
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    I thought they all leaked and this was no big deal. VAC in philly did a track day inspection for me and pointed out that mine were leaking and kind of stated they'd 'let me slide' this time and pass me, but next time I'd have to have them fix it. I hate comments like that from people that clearly know these cars well. Last time I went there.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Two in two years--that's not right. Is it possible something else is leaking on it--making it look like it's weeping?

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    I'm not sure what hose clamp a couple of you referenced is all about; the weeping (in both the new and the 2-year-old hose) was a factory crimp-on from the metal tube to the rubber hose, and there is no way that you can put a hose clamp on it. And the leak was definitely coming from the crimp, nothing was dripping on it.

Bigsooj, yeah that's my car, I had no idea that they had taken a picture of it! Normally the old girl is totally filthy, but I've always felt that a mechanic will treat a clean car differently than a dirty one, so I try to clean it up before I take it in. Guess they liked it too!

Marty
    Last edited by MartyBtoo; 01-15-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added more info.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    In the next car or so, I've picked up some materials (various hose and end-fittings) to redo the power steering lines in some aftermarket (AN-type) lines.

I too have replaced many of them, and it is typically the factory crimps that are weeping.

In reference to the E-36 type cooler that Moonvan alludes to, this is a required part to anyone running forced induction that includes some type of intercooler. It moves the pwr-str loop to the rack itself, freeing up space in front of the radiator (and in most cases, a shallower electric fan is also needed to clear the FMIC).

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9
    In my case, my leaks were only coming from worn out hose clamps like others. My system is completely dry (externally) with the exception of the power steering reservoir . I have never heard of it leaking elsewhere, but I still doubt that it is really "normal" to have a PS fluid leak.
    -Adam

My Cars
    99 mc
    The leaking factory crimp is a well-known E36 problem[1]. A lot of people replace them with hose clamps.. I recently did this after mine blew itself out of the crimp, and it's been tight and dry since then. If you take a used factory power steering line, you can usually twist the hose around while it's in the connector, which doesn't really inspire confidence in factory equipment.

1 - https://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/vie...4&f=4&t=144464

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    Randy, any chance you want to spec out a kit to do all this (E36 parts and the AN fittings you're planning)?

I also need to address this (leaking power steering) and figure might as well do it right.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Boy am I glad I came across this thread. Great PDF via e24kronus in post #12.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Where are you guys adding the clamps? On top of the existing collar and adding compression where there was but is no longer? Or just up the hose past the collar?
    Last edited by gmushial; 01-16-2015 at 04:33 PM.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Most people add the tanks on the reservoir side after removing the crap OE clamps. This area more commonly leaks (from my experience). If yours is leaking on the crimped side, you have to follow the instructions above.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by cfmistry View Post
    Most people add the tanks on the reservoir side after removing the crap OE clamps. This area more commonly leaks (from my experience). If yours is leaking on the crimped side, you have to follow the instructions above.
    No leak yet, but with all our toys already not young, and getting a year old each year, always nice to have a fix up one's sleeve, before it's needed :-)

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Looking at the power steering piping diagram on realoem, there are two separate piping systems. The high pressure side is the rubber hose loop behind the radiator from the pump to the spool valve, and the low pressure side is the metal tube loop in front of the radiator that goes from the spool valve back to the reservoir. My leaks were all in the high pressure line, and the linked PDF on hose repairs was very specific that the suggested repairs should only be done on the low pressure side, never the high pressure line. The E36 setup that Moonvan mentioned and Randy illustrated is a replacement for the low pressure loop in front of the radiator with doubled back pipes on the steering rack.

I'm now kicking myself for not keeping the old hose assembly that was replaced, since a good welder could weld some AN hose fittings on the steel pipes and build a new loop using standard AN hoses and fittings, thereby eliminating the crimped hoses altogether.

Marty

PS I should clarify this to say that the lines in question could not be the standard do-it-yourself AN hoses used for engine oil and cooling systems, they would have to be the professionally-built high pressure lines similar to brake pressure lines. I'm not sure what the steering system pressure is. but it is easy to get hydraulic hoses that are rated for 3000 PSI.
    Last edited by MartyBtoo; 01-17-2015 at 11:02 AM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    Looking at the power steering piping diagram on realoem, there are two separate piping systems. The high pressure side is the rubber hose loop behind the radiator from the pump to the spool valve, and the low pressure side is the metal tube loop in front of the radiator that goes from the spool valve back to the reservoir. My leaks were all in the high pressure line, and the linked PDF on hose repairs was very specific that the suggested repairs should only be done on the low pressure side, never the high pressure line. The E36 setup that Moonvan mentioned and Randy illustrated is a replacement for the low pressure loop in front of the radiator with doubled back pipes on the steering rack.

I'm now kicking myself for not keeping the old hose assembly that was replaced, since a good welder could weld some AN hose fittings on the steel pipes and build a new loop using standard AN hoses and fittings, thereby eliminating the crimped hoses altogether.

Marty

PS I should clarify this to say that the lines in question could not be the standard do-it-yourself AN hoses used for engine oil and cooling systems, they would have to be the professionally-built high pressure lines similar to brake pressure lines. I'm not sure what the steering system pressure is. but it is easy to get hydraulic hoses that are rated for 3000 PSI.
    A couple online references I was able to find hint at 400-700psi operating pressures, but the pump is capable of generating 1700-2500psi, ie, all serious pressure levels.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    wet hoses also...

considering a refresh of the entire system as it's original reservoir...

any "How TO" links for a system refresh??

I see a few different brands of reservoirs and hoses... anything I should stay away from?? or is there only one best choice?

money is secondary to quality here...
    Last edited by crashgordan; 04-27-2015 at 12:50 PM.

My Cars
    2000 MCoupe
    I had my power steering hoses 'remade' with new hoses using the existing banjo fittings at a local hydraulic hose shop. I relocated my reservoir to behind the left front headlight because of the SC.
    I think it cost me about 25.00 and that was with making the hoses to the reservoir longer.

Jay

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by MudHut View Post
    I had my power steering hoses 'remade' with new hoses using the existing banjo fittings at a local hydraulic hose shop. I relocated my reservoir to behind the left front headlight because of the SC.
    I think it cost me about 25.00 and that was with making the hoses to the reservoir longer.

Jay
    How did you find room behind the left headlight--my SC totally occupies that space--I'd of thought relocate to the passenger's (right) side.