Thread: new vanos issue

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0

new vanos issue

OK so had my new vanos seals installed and drove home and everything was fine. When I turned on to my street I gave it some go to feel the renewed power and the car threw a code and was bogging and idling like shit. I let it rest over night and went out in the morning and checked the code. It was a p0011 code, but now it seams to be running fine, I even drove it down the street and it seemed normal, Check engine light is still on though. Any thoughts

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Auto
    Just to check. All the solenoids electrically connected properly and the internal mechanism is working properly? Clear the code and see if it comes back.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Does it keep resetting the code? It's a two-trip code, meaning it takes failures in two drive cycles to set the code and light the MIL. If so, ask whoever did the seals how they managed to screw up the cam timing on a M54.

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 Z3M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Does it keep resetting the code? It's a two-trip code, meaning it takes failures in two drive cycles to set the code and light the MIL. If so, ask whoever did the seals how they managed to screw up the cam timing on a M54.
    Ugh. This is exactly why, even as I get older, more decrepit but more able to pay, I try to do any work I can myself.

Hopefully it's a simple resolution.

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    My tech seems to think its the cam shaft sensor, by me jumping on it , the car is running fine now. He said hes going to pull it and clean it and clear the codes.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    LOL

They always do. Then they'll blame the solenoid next.

To set a P0011 or P0014 (or P0021 on the V8s) requires the crank and cam sensors to pass electrical tests. The resulting asymmetric signals must be rational and consistent, but the correlation between the cam and crank patterns must be off by more than 8.6 degrees for 15 samples while the VANOS is inactive.

There are failure records that can show what the timing was measured and when, but I do not expect them to be looked at before clearing the code (and records). It is possible the VANOS bound up in the advanced position. It is possible it was a one time deal. But it was NOT the sensor.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 01-14-2015 at 04:26 PM.

/.randy

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    So could it have bound up and then once the engine cooled down they fell back into position? And what are the odds of this happening again? Should I be worried?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I've seen this sort of scenario play out time and again with the V8s. It's always mistiming. I've never seen it happen with the M54, so can't really say. *IF* the intake VANOS stuck in the advanced position, it would certainly idle like crap, or not idle at all. With that in mind a one time stick would match your symptoms. But I hav eno explanation on what could have caused it.

/.randy

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    Well, it was driving and idling fine when cold, as soon as it heated up the misfire began, my tech is looking at it now hes saying the #6 cylinder is misfiring. Could the rebuilt unit be binding only when it heats up?

- - - Updated - - -

well now hes telling me its pulling an p0015 code, he pulled the soleniod and blew it out and it seemed to clear everything and run fine for about 6 miles, then the code came back up but it was running fine. Im hoping its the solinoid . If not we are going to pull the unit and inspect the vanos unit itself.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    P0015. Take everything said about the P0011, and invert it. It means the exhaust cam did not change when commanded. In the case of the exhaust VANOS on retards the cam. No change in 80msec triggers the code.

Cleaning the sensor and blowing out the solenoid... one would wonder just where he thinks this debris is suddenly coming from.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 01-14-2015 at 09:16 PM.

/.randy

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    So what is your best guess? The rebuilt unit is faulty? Sensor?
    Car is not making any bad noises, not missing now, running ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Where would the debris come from? I'm looking for some direct in site on what could actually be wrong here

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I don't think there is any debris. It sure sounds like the vanos pistons are sticking, but I have never seen our heard of it before. Have you talked to who ever did the unit?

/.randy

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    I got a rebuilt unit from i6motorworks.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The VANOS is a simple device. I'm really having a time seeing how it could stick. But then the installation is fairly straight forward, also. I think if the connecting bolts were loose, worse things would have happened by now. Looking at pictures on Beisansystem.com, the only idea I have is if the locating dowels are missing. Either by sticking in the old unit or hitting the floor, if a dowel was missing there is a chance the unit bolted up with the pistons not perfectly on the cam centerline.

/.randy

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    does the m54 vanos have the oil pump driver tabs like the s motors?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    No. It's just a simple slow low pressure system.

/.randy

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    the only thing im coming up with is a bad vanos solenoid

- - - Updated - - -

well we are going to return the rebuilt unit and rebuild our old unit with the beisan seals , will up date with the results. Thanks for the help

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    P0011 is intake cam out of time with the VANOS off

P0015 is exhaust cam out of time with the VANOS on. In other words, the VANOS didn't move it.

This information, and the setting conditions, is available fairly easily for the pro. The computer stores failure record data with every code. Any reasonable pro scanner will show the target and actual cam timing in real time. This shouldn't be that hard for your guy to figure out.
    But it is. That's life today... I deal with it every day in the employment. "Technicians" replace parts until the problem leaves. they don't read the code information in Alldata. They don't look at the data stream. Sell the part named in the code. didn't fix the problem? Sell it again! Still not fixed? Send it to the electrical shop. Every transmission help call I get, no matter the complaint, no matter the codes, no matter the symptoms, has had the fluid changed. Usually twice. "and it's still doing the same thing"

Unfortunately I can't yell at (and bang the heads of) the ones that pay for my BMW parts. So your anonymous guy gets the brunt of my wrath.

At this point you have reported issues with the timing of both camshafts. And it's intermittent. the only thing that makes any sense is something sticking in both piston assemblies. Highly unusual. If the VANOS you bought came as an assembly with solenoids, throw it in their court. If not, oh what the hell, throw it at them first anyway. The other option, one they will request, is to pull it back apart and physically inspect the installation.

- - - Updated - - -

You got an update response in before I finished. Going back to your unit is a good step.

/.randy

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    Turns out the vanos unit I bought was no good, I took my old unit and rebuilt it myself and now the car runs like a dream. I also added a new lower zhp shift knob and I went from liking to car to loving it! Thanks for all the imput!

My Cars
    96 318ti
    grats. hopefully u didnt end up paying for new sensors.
    DIY 96Z3 (M44): Drive Belts, Starter, H2O Pump
    DIY 00ZM (S52): Gauges: clock, battery, oil

My Cars
    2002 z3 3.0
    no i didnt thank god and i returned the vanos unit and they gave me a full refund. it just cost me a little more labor.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0
    Nice work guys