Thread: BMW i8 for sale at $247,450 includes $100,000 markup

My Cars
    BMW 325i

BMW i8 for sale at $247,450 includes $100,000 markup

from the article:
    BMW i8 for sale at $247,450 includes $100,000 markup, people that buy cars at markup don't realize the encourage other dealers to do the same thing.

2 pictures and full article

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I bet it'll sell too
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    So I8 falls into the category of a supercar price list?????

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by geo0006 View Post
    people that buy cars at markup don't realize the encourage other dealers to do the same thing.
    Why would people who can afford a 75% markup care about that? If they can afford it, and they buy it, and every other dealership marks it up to the same price or higher, wouldn't that be doing the original buyer a favor since his car is now worth more and resale immediately goes up? A la the 1M
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    So I8 falls into the category of a supercar price list?????
    Its a supercar in all but raw performance figures. Why wouldn't it?

Someone who wants this car will spend $250K on it because they want to be one of the first people to have one. The i8 is very different from other cars in the price range you can buy, heck its different - better or worse - than basically anything else out there on the road. Most people buying supercars do it for the status anyways, of which this will give plenty. Its often either classified as a sports car or numerous places tout it as one of the first eco-friendly supercars.

People trying to apply rationale to buying a $150k car sort of make me chuckle a bit.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 01-11-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I'll keep driving my E36. It would take me 73 years to save enough on gas to equal the $235,000 I would have to come up with to buy the I8 after selling my E36, given my current mpg, miles per year and gas prices.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    So what?

OP, did you have $150k set aside for this car and now it's just too much? I'm sure if you can wait a few months you can still buy it for the original $150k.

I think there's term for this, something about supply & demand...
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    16' 328xiT /04' TSX 6MT
    "Market Adjustment" is one of the most frustrating things about buying a car anyone even remotely thinks is "desirable" hence why I will never buy a brand new car unless I have enough positive cash flow to not care. Dealers wouldn't do it if they can't get it, and it just gives them a higher jump off point when people try to bargain with them on price.

There are plenty of other dealers out there who don't place market adjustment mark ups on their cars, if you are paying that much for something, another $500-$1k in shipping costs isn't going to mean that much.

My Cars
    E34 M5
    SUPPLY AND DEMAND

BASIC ECONOMIC THEORY

In Irvine, shocking.

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    This is nothing new.

Think about the first C6 Z06 sold right here in Palm beach for $1 million..... sure that was at Barret Jackson, and for charity. However what is better then having the next sick car out there before everyone else. When you have money it's worth it, you can't buy time so this is the closest thing.

Now that doesn't mean I would pay $100k over msrp for an I8, but yes people will.

I'm not surprised.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I think that the entirety of the Chicago area (and probably every other major Metro except Detroit) has a "market adjustment" of some amount on every new car. It's been years, but the couple of dealers I stopped at in downtown Chicago had them on every new car.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    04 330i zhp; 06 Cooper S
    At least they're transparent about it. Some people like paying too much - because they can, but this is good proof that income inequality has become a real problem.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by maxell0405 View Post
    ...but this is good proof that income inequality has become a real problem.
    Because the masses can only afford $150k? Good point. Give me your poor, huddled masses yearning to be free to spend $150k on their i8! Viva la revolution!
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.