Thread: Broken door pull fix.

My Cars
    2001 Z3

Broken door pull fix.

The other day my wife and mother in law took the Z shopping. While the were out, MIL shuts door, not hard so I'm told, and door pull comes off in her hand. On the forward part, plastic mount that screw goes in to secure handle to door breaks off. On the rear side, the metal clip came out of the foam inside the handle. So figuring that's no big deal, should be able to find one cheap, I start my internet search. As I'm sure everyone here who had the same issue found out, there are no cheap parts, $124 to replace. Now being a cheap person, I figured I would attempt to fix it first. On the metal clip, I used Gorilla epoxy and stuck it back together, then sanded off the excess, worked like a charm. On the plastic, I hoped super glue would save me, not so lucky there. As soon as it cured I reinstallled, only to have it fall off again. After searching though my left over stuff bin, I came across metal strapping. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I mimicked as best I could the height of the original plastic piece, cut my strapping to fit, and using a couple small self tapping screws on each side, put it back together. I hope you can picture this in your head, as I took no pictures figuring id be taking it back apart and trying something else. To my surprise its been a couple weeks and so far so good. So if you have the same issue, give it a shot, seems like a decent cheap fix. Just don't slam the damn door anymore.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Good going! I don't know how hard someone has to pull the door to break it off, and I hope I never find out.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Try the leather wrapped (M) pulls. They are over $300. I've been there, bits of aluminum angle trimmed into a folded Z pattern, layer after layer of epoxy, with lengths of paperclips used as locating dowels and re-bar. It's trickier rebuilding the top end for the drivers door, you need to have the screw hole in the right place and strong while leaving room for the mirror control.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 01-06-2015 at 08:59 AM.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Try the leather wrapped (M) pulls. They are over $300. I've been there, bits of aluminum angle trimmed into a folded Z pattern, layer after layer of epoxy, with lengths of paperclips used as locating dowels and re-bar. It's trickier rebuilding the top end for the drivers door, you need to have the screw hole in the right place and strong while leaving room for the mirror control.
    Ive noticed since owning the car, that there are a few places where BMW unfortunately made questionable engineering decisions, the door handle being one. But with enough time, and enough tobacco anything can be overcome.

My Cars
    z3
    I've never had luck with doing hodge podge type epoxy or other type repairs on stuff like this. When something is regularly getting pulled/rotated/pushed, even the strongest epoxy never seems to cut it. When the original mount fails and epoxy is holding everything together, in my experience the epoxy will remain intact but it will rip off the next layer or break off the surface and things just get worse and messier. Sounds like you've both had better luck than I with that though

In that situation I'd source a set of them used. Probably looking no more than $20-50 (at the absolute most) bucks shipped. Junkyards would be littered with em and any enthusiast who went from stock to M leather pulls would be selling theirs as well. Worst case scenario you can buy complete door panels for less than the cost of just those pieces new, take what you need and sell on the rest. Thats just me but I'm pretty cheap (though I tell myself I'm thrifty )

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Hi- new to this- my 2000 Z3 drivers door lock will not open with the key. I can use inside door handle to get out but can't get into the drivers door of locked Z3 with the key. The ket makes the lock rise but won't open- any thoughts?

GM had the same type door pulls on Camaros and Firebirds in the 70's &80's was crap than and was crape when BMW used it on the Z3.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Accetta View Post
    Hi- new to this- my 2000 Z3 drivers door lock will not open with the key. I can use inside door handle to get out but can't get into the drivers door of locked Z3 with the key. The ket makes the lock rise but won't open- any thoughts?
    Try putting some grease on the striker.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    I used my hip to push against the door and this little extra pressure helped allow for the key to turn and open the door. Something must be out of alignment, I will also try some grease Khammack.